+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSparkle View Post
    Hi Ladies... I have been reading all the discussions about GD. I just wanted to tell you my experience. My boy is now 6.5 months and I had it with him (I pretty much had no chance of not getting it with both parents type 2 diabetes - diet controlled though). Anyways with my GTT results they wanted me to go straight to insulin 4 x per day. I broke down and decided to go against it (please don't read that I am condoning going against medical professionals, this was a decision I made based on my own instincts). I thought it was a bit rough not even letting me try diet controlled. So over a few days I monitored my levels after every meal and fasting, I watched what I ate and I did it! I was down to good levels. I did this by following a good diet, knowing my triggers and then a walk at night after dinner. By 38 weeks I was put on metformin because they wanted my morning levels under 5 and they were always 5 apparently that wasn't good enough. So my tips would be to try to exercise I walked of a night i and did yoga up until 39 weeks. Also a really high protein snack before bed really helped, something like crackers and cheese or nuts. It was horrible, I hated having GD but I was determined to get through it. I now have a gorgeous 6.5 month old and we are both healthy and he was a healthy 3.5 kilo natural birth (induced though). Good luck ladies and sorry for the spiel! x
    Thank you MrsSparkle for sharing your experience. Mine is similar to yours and I have managed to avoid taking insulin. I, too, was pressured to take drugs as opposed to attempting to control or reverse my situation via diet and even now I'm meeting resistance with the clinic midwife who doesn't believe I've done it (I'm having another test on Thursday just to shut her up - lol). I think it's healthy to trust your gut instinct. The medical profession is helpful but they aren't the only avenue and on occasion do not provide the best or only outcome.

With regards to hypoglycaemia, I think there may have been a misunderstanding regarding this? Hypos aren't relegated to people on insulin only. People who are not on insulin can get hypos and there are varying types of hypoglycaemia too. There is plenty of information regarding this via the Diabetes Australia and the Australian Diabetes Council as well as plenty of other reputable health sites online.

Indigo, I'd be very careful about seeking a diagnosis in here. None of us are medical practitioners! My mum gets what you have a fair bit but it's pointless me suggesting what it might be because I could quite possibly be wrong. I would be very wary in taking blanket statements to heart as there is simply no way anyone can state by looking at your photo what it is and what it isn't. A doctor/health nurse can examine you, look up your history etc and make far more sense of it than what we can Out of interest, let us know what it is when you find out.

Miados, I give up. In terms of reading and comprehension, I can only lead you to water, I can't make you drink it Again I see you have completely disregarded my clarifying post as your reply demonstrates making it patently obvious you believe your word cannot be challenged. I wish you luck with that. Again, it would be best if you stuck with being the dietician you say you are than trying to be a midwife.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

Kleep81  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post

Indigo, I'd be very careful about seeking a diagnosis in here. None of us are medical practitioners! My mum gets what you have a fair bit but it's pointless me suggesting what it might be because I could quite possibly be wrong. I would be very wary in taking blanket statements to heart as there is simply no way anyone can state by looking at your photo what it is and what it isn't. A doctor/health nurse can examine you, look up your history etc and make far more sense of it than what we can Out of interest, let us know what it is when you find out.
    I wasn't seeking a diagnosis? I was merely asking if anyone had seen it before. Of course Im going to ask my dr about it, being a weekend I haven't had a chance yet. Im not foolish enough to treat myself using information from a forum.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOL I also saw your other posts in the other threads convinced you had PUPS. Just saying is all, Indigo. Best to seek the advice of someone who can look at you. No harm, no foul

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    LOL I also saw your other posts in the other threads convinced you had PUPS. Just saying is all, Indigo. Best to seek the advice of someone who can look at you. No harm, no foul
    Again, being a weekend with my Dr being closed, i just googled pregnancy rash and foudn Pupps, not knowing what else it could be i thought it might be that. Then i thought it was from the insulin so circled my injection site, which shows that im reacting to that. Therefore, when i call my Dr tomorrow i can give more info. I didnt say, here is my rash, tell me what i have, and how to treat it, as i have no intention of seeing a medical professional about it. I dont really like people making the assumption im an idiot for asking a question on a forum. Again, Drs are closed, was asking a question, not seeking a diagnosis. It is also really stressful for me right now so having to explain this is making me weary. I really dont want to have to talk about this anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Again, being a weekend with my Dr being closed, i just googled pregnancy rash and foudn Pupps, not knowing what else it could be i thought it might be that. Then i thought it was from the insulin so circled my injection site, which shows that im reacting to that. Therefore, when i call my Dr tomorrow i can give more info. I didnt say, here is my rash, tell me what i have, and how to treat it, as i have no intention of seeing a medical professional about it. I dont really like people making the assumption im an idiot for asking a question on a forum. Again, Drs are closed, was asking a question, not seeking a diagnosis. It is also really stressful for me right now so having to explain this is making me weary. I really dont want to have to talk about this anymore.
    Nor did anyone give medical advice? Suggestions is all thst was offered.

Look at all the threads on the forum everyones asking for advice and what things can possibly be, from miscarriages to labour.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I hope so. But if I'm reacting here, I will probably react elsewhere too? Im pretty sure its the protaphane that's doing it.

Im also on protaphane overnight and was advised that this one can be injected in the upper thigh area to give my tummy a break as i have to inject novorapid there during the day.

You could possibly ask your doc if that is an option before changing meds etc

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ill ask the endo tomorrow if changing areas would help.

Thanks everyone x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Allergic to Protophane, Switching to a different brand on Wednesday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Allergic to Protophane, Switching to a different brand on Wednesday.

Good news! Well kinda? At least its not something else and at least changing insulin is an option and its not what you feared and getting bubs out or anything drastic.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (11-11-2013),Kleep81  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

With regards to hypoglycaemia, I think there may have been a misunderstanding regarding this? Hypos aren't relegated to people on insulin only. People who are not on insulin can get hypos and there are varying types of hypoglycaemia too. There is plenty of information regarding this via the Diabetes Australia and the Australian Diabetes Council as well as plenty of other reputable health sites online. .
    I stand corrected, however true hypos where the person becomes comatose or suffers other severe ill effects are extremely rare if the person does not take insulin or oral hypoglycaemic tablets.

My understanding from being a nurse was that it wasn't possible but I am happy to be corrected on more recent research. However it is important to realise that this is VERY rare.

The important thing is if someone feels dizzy etc, then to check bsl and if it is low to have some carbohydrate. 3 jelly beans, or a drink of lucozade, a piece if bread or a small juice. Something small to elevate bsl's.

Anyone concerned should chat yo their diabetic educator.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (11-11-2013),Miados2007  (11-11-2013)