+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't let my experience scare you! I had multiple problems and really was lucky they even let me try to vbac in the first place. No more kiddies for this girl!!
    Starting to settle down now, just trying to get the hang of the feeding. Bub has a tongue tie so it's making things difficult. We will persevere!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys. Diabetic mom here. Just had my bub last 01 Oct. Had an induction at 38 weeks. I don't know if this is appropriate admin just delete if not allowed. I was insulin since I was on my 4 month. Turned out I'm type 2 diabetic. Anyway, i have 2 boxes of unused humalog insulin. I wanted to give it away instead of throwing it. If anybody is using it i will glady give it away. Let me know. M located in eastern suburbs hillsdale area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    (Just posted this somewhere else but discovered this post, so I'll post it here, if anybody is still around). I also have had pre-eclapmsia twice before and pretty severe, so am terrified of it happening again (highly likely) especially now with gd on top of that.
    I was diagnosed with GD around 13 weeks so have been told I may have had undetected diabetes before this pregnancy. I am now 19+ weeks and have been diet controlled so far. I'm concerned, however that my levels maybe starting to creep up and so am looking for someone to share ideas/ concerns/frustrations with.
    I found the DE useless and a scare mongerer adding to my stress (and probably ultimately adding to my slightly high readings) and the dietitian also pretty useless as she went through very basic diet advice like "this is the 5 food groups" - derr. Also the diet information is so irrelevant to someone with gd - the amount of carbs they recommended you eat is completely off point for what someone with gd can really consume and stay within normal range.
    Anyway, enough venting, I need advice on when the dr/de will likely talk about needing insulin. My fasting is usually 4.5 -4.9 with the occasional 5.0 - 5.2 (less than twice a week) but the de has mentioned that these figures are a bit of a worry. So now every time I test my fasting my anxiety/ stress goes through the roof and I feel my heart thumping thinking please don't be over 5.0 or they'll put me on insulin. My after meals levels are usually pretty good (never over 7.4 1hr after meals) usually b/w 4.2 - 6, although breakfast is creeping over the 6.0 mark now, so may need to adjust. So if they put me on insulin I feel like it will throw my after meal readings really low (sometimes after meals I'm already getting 4.2). Is 0.1-0.2 over 5.0 for fasting really that bigger deal to bother putting someone on insulin and throwing off the rest of the days readings?
    Any advice/thoughts please?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @riw3 i was GD from about 12/13 weeks also - my levels were always over 6 and finally git them down to about 5 or under (which was the aim). I basically just gave up junk food and ate healthier.
    I also thought the whole GD prick test was a joke (and i did say that to the DR as i could do 3 tests one after another and get a different result.
    As my dinner levels were higher than normal (i was put on insulin) this was probably 2 or 3 months before due date.I was only on insulin for my dinner fasting levels - it also helped my morning fasting levels. I could eat a bakers delight white choice chip scone and a big m and be around 4.0 (defeats the purpose i know)

Unsure why they want your levels so low - i know when i got anything in the 3's the were a bit worried and changed my insulin levels.

In the end - bubs was 3.36kg (even though they thought he would be big) came a day before induction date

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cevapa For This Useful Post:

rlw3  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just replied your post on the other thread.

Agree with @Cevapa. The prick test is a joke as i mentioned on the reply.

A bit repeat of what I said in the reply on your thread. Exactly my experience. My dietitian was aiming a very low value. The value is recommended for 2hrs test not 1hr post meal from what I read. Somehow, the dietitian used that for 1hr. I was eating 4x vita weet for breakfast. That's the only food that kept me under. I was starving myself and bub in the end. Bub was born under 3kg. A very skinny baby.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

Cevapa  (07-04-2016),rlw3  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,
    My DS is 8 weeks old today! Born Feb 10th 2016.
    I am absolutely petrified of needles and at 24 weeks or thereabouts I did my Glucose Test and failed. I went to the seminar and was given the blood meter to begin testing my blood sugar levels 4 times a day!
    This was bad enough for me (it really isn't bad at all but the whole needle thing makes me sick), until I sent my readings to the advisor after one week.
    She called and said that my "on rising" or "fasting" readings (the first reading of the day before you are out of bed or have eaten) we "significantly elevated" and that I would need to go on insulin immediately.
    Well, I'm a tough B but, I cried, actually I sobbed, and refused!

That was in approximately November 2015!
    When I spoke to my Doc to discuss an alternative, he said there was no alternative, but looking at my diet, it was all wrong!!!!!
    I was eating a good plan that was EXACTLY as advised at the seminar!

Apparently eating rice and pasta at night, even though it was the advised portion, was a big no!

So....., I changed my diet which significantly lowered my morning readings, still not below the 5.0 as required but, 5.2s rather than 5.9-6.2s.

Long story short, I was due on 25.02.2016 but my doc made it very clear that they will never let a GD pregnancy go full term and I would be induced one week early or two weeks if I was on insulin. My doctor would not give me an induction date until I spoke to the Diabetes team regarding my latest readings!

Thinking I was one above then for lowering my readings without insulin, I smugly sent them off!

They called, they said I need to go I insulin!

4 weeks until I was due, and I went on insulin! I only had to inject 6 units of an evening and that was it!

Mentally, to do the injection, it was tough! I used my good old numbing friend, emla.

I was so disappointed to find that some mornings my readings went down to 4.3 which is great but others, it was higher then what I had it and was 5.6.

Anyway, I am writing this so people know my experience with GD.

My DS was born at 37+6 and was only a tiny 6.82 pounds (3095g).

Another girl in the same hospital with GD also has a little one!

I don't get it!

I think some of the info you receive is not up to date!

I was given poor suggestions to my eating plan, and I found that the only answer they would give was INSULIN rather then maybe checking what I was eating, was I exercising as much as I said I would? Am I going wrong somewhere? Nope, just get in the insulin is what they recommended!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beckyashleigh For This Useful Post:

rlw3  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My story almost matches u, my son was born at 36 weeks a tiny 5lb, dr's were expecting at least a 7lb, was on insulin from 29 weeks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know, it's ridiculous!
    I'm no Doctor but I honestly believe that the understanding of GD is minimal!

Before I started the insulin, I only had 5 high morning readings out of the past 25 days and three of those had a reason for being high (I was away for work for 4 days and I ate a buffet breakfast each morning, and enjoyed it).

My argument was, if I had only had two high readings out of 25, why do I need insulin? Couldn't that potentially make my readings too low on up to 23 occasions?

They still made me do it!

AND did you know that if your readings do go extremely low overnight, you may not have enough energy to get out of bed or you could have a "hypo".

Also, you need to go and have another GT at 6 weeks and I have not had the opportunity to do that yet!

I live in my own and have an 8 weeks old baby!

To be up, ready, fasting and at a pathology with a demanding newborn is not as easy as they think!

Sorry about the negativity but I hated every moment of having Gestational Diabetes and I feel for anyone who has to go through it!

I will say though, and contradict myself but it is not that bad, I just felt ripped off! I'm a fit, athletic person and was a light smoker! I found out I was pregnant and quit smoking immediately, stopped my weekend wines, worked out every day and then get told that I have to eat crap food, odd portions, quit sugar and have an eating time table.

I also felt that the Diabetes Service were a "business" that we're happy to push you in to having insulin because they get a cut out of it!!!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beckyashleigh For This Useful Post:

Cevapa  (07-04-2016),rlw3  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^ totally agree
    They kept making me have appointments with the educator every 2 weeks (even though I felt I didn't need it) and charged like $200 - thanks to IVF I was over the threshold and only paid like $20

The only positive for me was that if I wasn't GD I would've ate way more junk food! Especially at work where it was convenient - salad/tuna rolls replaced McDonald's - I only put on 6-10kg throughout my pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Cevapa: lucky you. Only $20 per session. My ob sent me to private dietitian. However, i wasnt seen by the dietician who he recommended but her associate. It cost a bomb with little rebate from priv insurance.

I felt like she didn't seem to have much experience with GD. Again, I am complaining about the 1 hr post meal test. Even insulin didn't lower my breakfast value much. If i have done the test 2 hrs post breakfast, it would have fallen into the normal range most of the time. My fasting has always been good. In a way, i feel like my GD was under controlled with the diet alone. I wasn't eating much in the end. I was put on insulin at 36w. Induced at 38w+. I actually got hypo once after dinner. I had to eat a yogurt and something to top it up.

Guess what? My family has a history of diabetes (not direct family) so i test my glucose (fasting and random) every year. It has always been normal. The pregnancy just threw me off with me starting the steroid at the beginning.

Yes, the 6w/8w post birth check is difficult. The person who took my blood only labeled the test tube with the fasting blood and forgot to label the rest in the same bag. The lab didn't want to process it and asked me to redo!!! I ended up redoing it at 12w or so. I didn't quite know how to interpret the GTT result because fasting is again normal. The post 2 hrs test is elevated. It isn't diabetes and it isn't really pre-diabetes either. My Ob wanted to refer me to a proper diabetes educator but was told that the result is OK, i just need to redo the test in a year. It might just mean that my body can't process sugar effective enough.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

Cevapa  (09-04-2016),rlw3  (08-04-2016)