+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had two mornings on the increased metformin so far and both have been under 5! Hopefully this does the trick!!
    I found reducing portion size means i can enjoy my naughty food when I'm craving it, and drinking lots of water in between. Obviously when I'm super busy at work my levels are even lower as I'm working it all off. On my days off my levels are higher but still under the 6.7.
    I have one week left at work, cannot wait!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm nearly 15 weeks and got diagnosed at 6.5 weeks with a fasting bsl of 5.3, a diagnosis is a fasting bsl of 5.1 and above. In our area health, they want pre breakfast bsl to be 5.3 or below and 1 hour post meals of 7.4 or below.

My fasting bsl are sitting between 4.6-5.0. I'm only doing qid bsl's on my days off and they are usually under 7.0.

I have also lost 3kg since being diagnosed. Helps that I have gone off chocolate!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well, actually my OB is happy with my values. He knows that I have been working really hard and being miserable. He leaves it up to me to decide if I want to be on the insulin or not. Basically, he just wants me to tough it out for the rest of pregnancy. Sure, super boring diet but it would be less monitoring than using the insulin. He left the script for me. As long as I keep it under 8 one he post meal (take into account of error on the machine), I am OK. My fasting went over 5.0 sometime but I find the machine isn't that accurate anyway. As long as under 5.5, OB isn't worried.

The educator is just being super strict and she wanted me to enjoy food a bit more and thus the suggestion of insulin. I think I will tough it out for now. Just keep taking 2x metformin. I think I ate something new and went over about 3x only this week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I totally agree about the machine not being accurate.
    When I feel as though I've been super good and get a reading of 7.0 I know it's wrong. I wash my hands again and re-do it and it's below 6.5.
    I keep telling DH I don't think this whole thing is accurate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I couldn't agree more. When I retested with the same finger before the blood dried out, it gave me a different value. I reckon the error is within 0.5 or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyway I still can't get my fasting levels below 5.0 - am on 82 units units of insulin now

Can a person be insulin resistant?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are u on metformin? OB said that metformin is for insulin resistance. I am on 2x per day.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gestational Diabetes Chat

Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    Are u on metformin? OB said that metformin is for insulin resistance. I am on 2x per day.
    No only on insulin at night
    My levels during the day are fine

I started on metformin but that wasn't bringing my levels down either so they put me on insulin instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    On a semi related question, how many of you have been told that you need to be induced or likely to be induced? I wonder what other reason for inducing other than the baby might be big.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm being induced in 2 and a bit weeks, at 38+4. Not just because of the gd but also for other problems I've had related to low papp-a levels. My bub isn't measuring big, he's 46th percentile and they're predicting he'll be in the 7 pound range. He has been lagging in growth so they want to take him out a little early.