+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Gestational Diabetes Chat

Quote Originally Posted by meandmyboys82 View Post
    Are they having you get extra scans to check on bub? I have them every 4 weeks. Did you have to try metformin first or did you get put straight onto insulin? I'm wondering if at any point I'll get put on insulin. I've read you can't breastfeed while taking metformin so I'd like to stop taking it if it's not doing anything.
    My scans are evey 4 weeks - I have 1 more then they're every 2 weeks. I was put on metformin for 2 or so weeks but it didn't help so I was put on nightly insulin shots from there. I'm fine for the first few days then they go up again. They're thinking of recommending me to an ecronoligist (I know I got that wrong)
    I don't see how it helps as it's not my diet - my other levels are fine - even with the milo before bed it hovers just over 5 for fasting levels.
    I'm also bmi overweight but tall and can't really tell - I'm 98kg so my obstretition doesn't want me to go over 100kg.
    Have been really sick with flu since Friday and haven't been eating much and my levels are still high - go figure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ugh i have the flu too. Got my flu shot then 5 days later I'm sick. Have had a really bad weekend food wise with some high levels. Just feel like crap and craving (and eating) all the no no's (McDonalds 3 times in 4 days, oops!). Back on the wagon this week but still feel yuck. I have an appt with the OB on wednesday so interested to see what they say about my fasting levels, still no improvement. I'm 160cm and 83kg. Was 86kg at beginning of pregnancy.
    I'm stopping the milo before bed, it's making me pee too much, I'm sooooooo tired! Will try custard and fruit tonight see how that goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @meandmyboys82 good luck with your appointment tomorrow

I used to be on the Maccas runs at the start of the pregnancy (it was just easier) plus DH is such a bad influence - monitoring my levels have dramatically reduced my maccas cravings 😀.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cevapa For This Useful Post:

meandmyboys82  (11-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Did you get the flu is from the vaccine or someone else? I know the vaccine doesnt have live virus in it. I am still undecided if i should get one given that i never have it in my life so i am not sure what kind of reaction i have.

Back to the topic. What's the limit on fasting? My educator says 5.0 but online says 5.5. Strange, ever since i started the metformin. My fasting level has been above 5.0. Lunch and dinner values are OK but it probably has nothing to do with metformin because I cut carb completely, which isn't good.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gestational Diabetes Chat

Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    Did you get the flu is from the vaccine or someone else? I know the vaccine doesnt have live virus in it. I am still undecided if i should get one given that i never have it in my life so i am not sure what kind of reaction i.
    I had the flu shot in June, some lady coughed in my direction at the hospital on Thursday and I've been sick since

Apparently that affects your insulin reading too 😞
    So I've finally got a fasting reading under 5.0 (on 70 units of insulin)

Thanks
    Reviews
    it seems coincidental that i got the flu shot then 5 days later so very sick, cannot stop coughing. Have been sick for about 9 days now and not improving.
    The nurse who gave me the shot did have a cold though. And i work in retail so yeh. Off to my gp to get my chest checked, feel like i have a chest infection, erghhh.

My metformin got upped to 1500mg at night at my appt yesterday. This morning my reading was 5.1. See how it is tomorrow.
    My hospital says fasting readings goal is below 5.0 - mine are generally 5.2 and 5.3.
    If no improvement by my next appt in 2 weeks it will be insulin for me. Being sick isn't helping, i don't want to eat and I'm so exhausted, when i do eat it's not the best food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am officially being put on insulin. I am losing weight and don't enjoy my meals at all. The educator said that the diet and metformin are clearly not working for me. While it has been keeping the values under most of the time but I have to work extra hard for it. This isn't supposed to be like this. Can you imagine eating 4xvitaweat with peanut butter every morning and only meat and veges for dinner for the rest of the pregnancy? Lol. No. So insulin it is. On the other hand, perhaps she is aiming a bit high? From what I heard, most of you are doing 2hrs test and under 7.4 is ok. I am on 1hr test for the same target?!

Her recommendation for the next pregnancy -- I should be on the lower end of normal BMI. No steroid if I could avoid. Not sure how realistic this is because I still had normal BMI before pregnant. It was on the high end, though. As for steroid, it is what kept my pregnancy early on (I think). Anyway, she said that it is genetic.

I really hope that it goes away after pregnancy. If not, I might have underlying diabetes.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope
    My fasting levels need to be below 5.0 (test after 2 hours of meal) and all others under 6.7 (tested 2 hours after meal)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevapa View Post
    @bbhope
    My fasting levels need to be below 5.0 (test after 2 hours of meal) and all others under 6.7 (tested 2 hours after meal)
    Same. My only problems are with my fasting levels. They upped my metformin to 2grams at night. Back next week for scan and review. Must admit I've gotten really sick of eating all the same stuff and have strayed off the diet at times, but my bsl's have still been fine - just those damn fasting levels.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am the opposite. Fasting has been good. It is the after meal that throws me off. I hope once i am on insulin, i can at least enjoy the food a bit more.