+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is anyone being put on metformin? Any side effect?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on metformin, started on 500mg once at night, my dose was upped to 1g once at night last week. I felt a little yuck in the tummy at first but it passed after a week or so. I have had constipation and embarrassingly horrible gas but no diarrhea as warned by the dr. It still doesn't seem to be having much effect on my fasting levels though so I'm wondering if I'll get put on insulin at my next appt next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My fasting level is fine. Just that my morning level is high no matter what I eat. Dietitian didn't suggest I cut carb in the morning. I just have been eating certain brand of cereal and bread. Nothing change.

The only way to get the level down is to cut carb completely which I was told not to do. Confused?!

Do you take it before bed with an empty stomach? I am eating so little with the diet that I get hungry like 2 hrs later. I am doing the 1hr test as told by my dietitian. Honestly, I think my 2hrs level might not be too bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No i take my tablets with dinner. I was told to take with food as it is supposed to decrease side effects. All my daily levels are great, i can even have some sneaky mcdonalds and my levels are still below the 6.7. But no matter what i do (and i've tried everything the dietician suggested for supper) at night my fasting levels are just above that 5. The metformin isn't working for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmyboys82 View Post
    No i take my tablets with dinner. I was told to take with food as it is supposed to decrease side effects. All my daily levels are great, i can even have some sneaky mcdonalds and my levels are still below the 6.7. But no matter what i do (and i've tried everything the dietician suggested for supper) at night my fasting levels are just above that 5. The metformin isn't working for me.
    I'm in the same boat - I'm also on insulin at night for my fasting levels but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I'm on 60 units 😞 - this mornings levels are 5.6
    My obstreition suggested a cup of milo before I go bed (which I had last night) but it didn't work

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have milo every night! Hot milk with one teaspoon of milo. unless i have a virtually carb free dinner the night before my levels are above the 5 first thing in the morning - and even with little or no carbs at dinner it's still at 4.9 or 5 in the morning, this is since being on metformin. My dr doesn't want me doing this though, she said not to cut out the carbs. Feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. But baby is in 30th percentile for his size at the moment. I'm 32 weeks. Since i started the GD diet I've lost 3kg (am "obese" according to my bmi but not very overweight to look at. One of the ladies i work with was shocked when i told her my weight, she didn't believe me!) and he dropped back from 41st percentile to 30th. But i have issues with low papp-a which can be a cause of this.
    Last edited by meandmyboys82; 08-08-2015 at 16:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevapa View Post
    I'm in the same boat - I'm also on insulin at night for my fasting levels but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I'm on 60 units 😞 - this mornings levels are 5.6
    My obstreition suggested a cup of milo before I go bed (which I had last night) but it didn't work
    Are they having you get extra scans to check on bub? I have them every 4 weeks. Did you have to try metformin first or did you get put straight onto insulin? I'm wondering if at any point I'll get put on insulin. I've read you can't breastfeed while taking metformin so I'd like to stop taking it if it's not doing anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought <5 fasting is OK? I am bouncing between 4.5--5 in the morning at the moment without metformin. That's the reason my OB wanted me to try metformin first. He thinks i have enough insulin just isn't doing its job quick enough when i eat.

Yes, i am losing weight with this diet within a week. I am not obese before pregnant. I had done similar diet before to lose few kgs so I don't feel very healthy to follow this low carb and calorie diet while pregnant. It is driving me crazy. I don't feel satisfied with my meal at all. Just like some of you said, the Dr didn't advise to cut carb completely. However, i found that cutting carb completely is the only way to get my level within normal range after meal. Confused. Carb or no carb?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you Ladies for your updates and advice. Its been extremely helpful in changing the way I am eating.

As for the Milo, when I was having it during this pregnancy. I used to have it with a table spoon or two of Milo. No added sugar but yep thats certainly a no no from now on.

Ive had another test on the weekend it will be very interesting to see what my levels are.

Bbhope if I don't have a carby thing with my meal, I just don't feel full. And are hungry 30 mins after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cutting carb completely isn't recommended so I'll have to talk to the educators. That's the only way for me to have a normal value after each meal. Anyway, i'll see if metformin does any trick for me.