+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @KayzB thanks for the reply. Do you still monitor your levels if your on the insulin?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @jaybu84 I've been diagnosed early too - I'm actually not afraid of the needles as I've done IVF so used to it - I find it harder to food control than anything else (and the 2 hour wait to take my results)

I think I'll speak to my obstreition next week

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cevapa For This Useful Post:

monkeymama  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevapa View Post
    @KayzB thanks for the reply. Do you still monitor your levels if your on the insulin?
    @Cevapa yep hun still have to monitor/test 4x a day - for fasting level (before breakfast), then 2 hours after breakfast, lunch & dinner.

I actually have to call the diabetes clinic tomorrow as I exceeded levels again today despite the insulin 😕 I'm on a slow release insulin which I take half an hour before breakfast - but by the time it gets to dinner time, the insulin has worn off already. So will see what they say. Hopefully will amend my dose (or timing of the dose) as I'm starting to feel stressed out about it again 😐

Thanks
    Reviews
    @jaybu84 congrats on your bubba! ☺️💖

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Cevapa I was IVF too 😊 it was a million times easier then those needles for sure haha
    Actually I had a total hormonal breakdown moment because in my mind I started the pregnancy with needles and then had to finish it the same way and felt like a bit of a failure - it was like a mental barrier I didn't realise I had until it happened. Really got to me!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to monkeymama For This Useful Post:

Cevapa  (02-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @KayzB thanks so much!! I'm totally in love and will take any opportunity to show him off haha
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1433159873.245707.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi to the new GD diagnosed mums.

As others have said don't feel bad if you get put on insulin. I had my levels under control with diet and then suddenly they kept getting higher and higher no matter what I would eat, I was down to 1 carb point putting me over! Your levels will naturally get higher as you progress so better off getting it sorted earlier than later.

Once on insulin I had to keep getting it readjusted, sometimes multiple times a week. By the end I was shifting between higher blood glucose and hypos, I felt defeated and like I was doing something wrong but stuck with it and I have my healthy bub now, 7pound 8oz, so about spot on average. He did have low blood glucose on birth and we were admitted and monitored for 3 days.

I was then diagnosed with pre-diabetes after the pregnancy and continue to find it difficult to maintain my levels post-pregnancy. I don't meet any of the risk criteria so have to continue on the diabetes diet and monitoring my levels. GARHHH!

tips:
    - exercise helped but I found it really difficult/impossible to do 20min of exercise after every meal, time wise as I was working FT and physically.
    - Looking at food combos and always having a protein with any carbs helps.
    - Meat and veg with a small serve of carbs (eg. potato) is a staple dinner.
    - replace pasta or rice with conjac (or tonight was with cauliflower 'rice')
    - no sugar ice cream - oh yeah

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HeyMissA For This Useful Post:

Cevapa  (02-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @jaybu84 .... GORGEOUS!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @HeyMissA thanks for the tips

My first step is struggling drinking anything but water *sigh* I know it's a no no but it's just so hard to stop all of a sudden. I'm down to half a cup oj in the morning and a glass of iced tea for dinner .... I'll get there

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Cevapa I thought no juice was the easy part. Maybe try watering it down if you want to wean off slowly.

You can still drink milk too. I couldn't give up my 1 cappuccino a day but just had it as my morning snack.

Oh and there is stevia sweetened chocolate too (sugar free) that can help with any chocolate cravings (in health food section at supermarkets).