+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat74 View Post
    I admit it took me quite a while to get my head around it. I was shocked at being diagnosed with it TBH as I'm within normal weight range, eat healthily and exercise regularly. Go figure! Oh, well, it has meant that I'm not tempted to indulge during pregnancy, so hopefully that will mean I get my old body back relatively quickly!
    That's me too Cat74.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kookika View Post
    No queries just yet might have some after appointments on Tuesday just getting used to the idea of it all!
    How did your appointment go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was frustrating really. The doctor pretty much said I don't have it as any women tested this late in pregnancy would have the same results. In saying that I still have to diet and take bloods.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I can understand your frustration then! That being the case, what is the point of you doing the diet if it's only for a few weeks? Does it just rule out the chance of your bubba growing a bit too big? Very weird...

Thanks
    Reviews
    They said it won't really do.much but the diet won't really be any harm for the next 3 and a bit weeks until they induce anyway because she is already to big

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At least it's only for a few weeks. The diet is OK. I just hate having carbs every meal/snack, and having to have a bedtime snack. Who feels like eating right before bed?!

Good luck with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, hope this is ok to ask this group; I took the 1 hr test last week. Was told to eat breakfast as normal and get the test done 20min later. So I followed instructions exactly :-)
    The lady didn't wait the full hour after the drink; I asked that but she responded "doesn't matter'. (40/45min mark).
    Anyway, my result was 7.8 which is the exact cut off. So now I need to book in for the 3 hr test next week.
    Anyone have any tips before this test in your experiences of trying to keep your levels down? I've been told to "carbo load" 3 days prior to the test but any info you have that could help would be great.
    Understand this is for people with GD but thought if I could follow your diet it might help before the test?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi @KT8, apparently the prep for the test can be slightly different depending on which pathology place you go to so it's best to go by what they've told you. I was told to carb load for two days prior. I was eating low carb prior to that. A lot of women who only just fail the one-hour test go on to pass the longer test so fingers crossed you escape it.

In terms of my GD management diet I went to see a dietician to provide guidance (and if you do end up being diagnosed with GD I would really recommend doing this) and basically you need to incorporate some form of carbs into each meal and snack. I aim for 2-3 serves (30-45g) of carbs for main meals and 1-2 serves (15-30g) of carbs for snacks.

My daily food looks like this...

Breakfast: 1 slice wholegrain toast with eggs + 1 tub (100g) yoghurt OR 2 slices toast with cheese/tomato/spinach = just over 2 serves

Lunch: meat/tuna w salad including four bean mix/chickpeas/corn, 1 cup of milk OR sandwich with meat and salad OR basic stir-fry (meat/veggies) with basmati rice = just over 2 serves

Dinner: many variations but should include potato, rice, pasta, corn, legumes (chickpeas, lentils, etc), etc to get your carb serves.

Snacks: 1 piece of fruit and 3 shredded wheat biscuits OR fruit smoothie using 2 pieces of fruit OR 1 tub of yoghurt OR 1 slice toast OR 1 cup milk/Milo = 1 to 2 serves
    (I have a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack as well as something small just before bed so my insulin levels stay stable overnight)

I don't drink soft drink or fruit juices, just water or mineral water. I have 1 cup of tea a day with just a small amount of milk (1 cup milk = 1 serve of carbs).

Be wary of things like honey (1 tbs = 1.39 serves of carbs). I also found that canned baked beans have way too much sugar in them and push my blood sugar through the roof.

This also might help with what to eat:
    http://www.diabetesqld.org.au/media/...estational.pdf

If you're curious about carb levels in foods you already have at home take a look at this website http://www.calorieking.com.au. Search for what you want, choose your serving size and it will bring up the number of carbs. Divide carbs by 15 to get the serving size.

This is probably more information than you wanted but hopefully you find it useful!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

KT8  (13-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! That's very helpful. Wil give it a try and see how I go next week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @KT8, how did you go with your test? Hopefully the food tips helped a bit!