+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My fasting was 5.4 this morning. WOOHOO!!!!

First time in a month. I had 30units of insulin. Now it will be interesting to see how long 30units keeps it under.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (07-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there. I have intermittent GD, depending on who I see - lol. I am finding that not a lot of health professionals are really up on GD and that actual and acceptable levels do vary depending on where you go.

In my last pregnancy, I had levels ranging from 9.0 to 11.0 and I was fine. And I didn't have any issues during that pregnancy. During this pregnancy, they wanted to test at 8 weeks and I said no, as I felt it was way too early. This was backed up by my OB. Didn't stop them from pestering me though.

I have an Accucheck machine at home and I do test myself in the morning anyway so it's not as though I just ignore the whole thing. But I'm not so keen to immediately assume that I need insulin either.

I had my first test two months ago with the midwife at the antenatal clinic insisting I had GD and the GP (shared care) saying no, I didn't have it. Midwife was all set to put me on insulin and the works whereas I held off and thankful that I did as I have now been informed by my OB that my levels were acceptable and did not warrant intervention.

My present diet consists of water, one decaf coffee in the morning, porridge for breakfast, green salads/seeds/nuts for lunch and a light meal for dinner. I have knocked off soft drink (I used to enjoy the odd glass during the week), commercial yoghurts, cheese, certain fruits and, of course, junk. I also walk every day. I am not super fit by any means but I'm no longer lazy either (which I admit I was).

I have just had another test (Monday) and my levels are perfect. Yet the midwife at the antenatal clinic now wants me to do the two hour test again because she doesn't believe my levels could come down that fast......

I have sourced my information from the Diabetic Living magazine and Diabetes SA as well as my OB who have been super helpful in determining where I need to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    Hi there. I have intermittent GD, depending on who I see - lol. I am finding that not a lot of health professionals are really up on GD and that actual and acceptable levels do vary depending on where you go.

In my last pregnancy, I had levels ranging from 9.0 to 11.0 and I was fine. And I didn't have any issues during that pregnancy. During this pregnancy, they wanted to test at 8 weeks and I said no, as I felt it was way too early. This was backed up by my OB. Didn't stop them from pestering me though.

I have an Accucheck machine at home and I do test myself in the morning anyway so it's not as though I just ignore the whole thing. But I'm not so keen to immediately assume that I need insulin either.

I had my first test two months ago with the midwife at the antenatal clinic insisting I had GD and the GP (shared care) saying no, I didn't have it. Midwife was all set to put me on insulin and the works whereas I held off and thankful that I did as I have now been informed by my OB that my levels were acceptable and did not warrant intervention.

My present diet consists of water, one decaf coffee in the morning, porridge for breakfast, green salads/seeds/nuts for lunch and a light meal for dinner. I have knocked off soft drink (I used to enjoy the odd glass during the week), commercial yoghurts, cheese, certain fruits and, of course, junk. I also walk every day. I am not super fit by any means but I'm no longer lazy either (which I admit I was).

I have just had another test (Monday) and my levels are perfect. Yet the midwife at the antenatal clinic now wants me to do the two hour test again because she doesn't believe my levels could come down that fast......

I have sourced my information from the Diabetic Living magazine and Diabetes SA as well as my OB who have been super helpful in determining where I need to be.
    Well done. It is possible you still have gd your just able to control it with diet adjustments. Which is optimal and what is reccommended to try prior to insulin.

Im a pediatric dietician as a day job so I know a fair bit about juvenile diabetes and type 1 and 2. Gd runs to a different beat again. My diet both times ive had it is optimal, its part of my job to practice what I preach. Ive never since my teens had sugar in coffee or even drank soft drink had processed foods, ect. So diet makes no difference to me as its already balanced and low gi. Gd rarely has any symptons so my advice to you would be keep checking your levels at home and have the tests. As a heathly baby is far more importent. I agree though your middy clearly has no education around it. Ive never known a middy to even make that call on a patients behalf to give insulin. They need to be reffering you to an endo or diabetes educator for that. So go on you for sticking to your guns!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've not seen the diabetes educator yet but have gone and bought myself a glucose meter and have been checking my levels upon waking (last two days were 4.8 and 4.5) and two hours after meals. (The levels ranged between 4.7 and 6.2) I'm not sure whether or not they are right but I'll show them to the nurse on Monday and hopefully I'll then know what I am aiming for. It's such a poo of a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    I dont eat egg or tuna :/

I have 2slices Soy and Linseed toast, 2Tabs low fat ricotta and a handful of roasted cherry tomatoes. OR I have a homemade caesar salad and a slice of bread with jam/butter. Its getting boooooooring!!!
    I am also find the meals boring It makes me not want to eat. I've been having unsweetened almond milk with my cereal (and it tastes worse than you are imagining) because it has virtually no carbs or sugars. I hate it so much I actually feel like crying into my bowl of cereal.
    I'm determined to manage it on diet alone because then I won't be induced (even after due date) and if I am put on insulin I won't be able to birth locally and will have to travel and hour away and be induced because if I go naturally I'll likely have the baby within 1 hour of the first contraction. Birthing in a car is not my idea of a good time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummasaurus Rex View Post
    I've not seen the diabetes educator yet but have gone and bought myself a glucose meter and have been checking my levels upon waking (last two days were 4.8 and 4.5) and two hours after meals. (The levels ranged between 4.7 and 6.2) I'm not sure whether or not they are right but I'll show them to the nurse on Monday and hopefully I'll then know what I am aiming for. It's such a poo of a thing.

I am also find the meals boring It makes me not want to eat. I've been having unsweetened almond milk with my cereal (and it tastes worse than you are imagining) because it has virtually no carbs or sugars. I hate it so much I actually feel like crying into my bowl of cereal.
    I'm determined to manage it on diet alone because then I won't be induced (even after due date) and if I am put on insulin I won't be able to birth locally and will have to travel and hour away and be induced because if I go naturally I'll likely have the baby within 1 hour of the first contraction. Birthing in a car is not my idea of a good time.
    Your levels sound good. They should under 5.5 fasting and under 7 2 hours after meals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a weird question; what does everyone plan on doing in regards to Christmas lunch/dinner?
    My family (everyone - aunts, uncles, cousins etc) have a big lunch with deli foods, cold meats, roast vegetables, cheesecakes, pavlovas, paella, salads. the list goes on. My mum is really annoyed at me because I plan on not going. I said I'm sending my husband and boys for lunch (2 hours) and I'll just stay home and clean up from the gift unwrapping and she's still annoyed.
    I just don't really want to go where everyone will be eating (and drinking) things I can't have, which sounds selfish I know, but I'd rather enjoy my Christmas to some degree.
    I would already be avoiding all cold meats and deli goodness because of listeria and wine for obvious reasons but now I feel like I won't get much at all except for a few roast vegetables and maybe a bit of roast meat. No cheesecake for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Im due on Xmas Day, but will probably be having baby earlier, so i dont have to worry about Xmas lunch. Can you bring your own plate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking of just bringing my own plate but it defeats the purpose really? I could just eat my sandwich at home and then have a nap. (Because the kids will probably get up at like 6am so I'll probably need one.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll most likely be having my c section on the 24th lol, so I can eat whatever I want but it'll most likely be hospital food
    If it were me I'd just stick to things I know are relatively low gi, but I wouldn't stress too much (just write in in your diary if you slip up and eat more carbs than necessary ).

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im having bubs at the end of this month. So ill be free by xmas.

But for you ladies who will be, check with your middys or educators but, its ok to have a little blow out every now and again such as xmas. Just go for a walk or or control your portion. I educate diabetic kids and thats the advice I give them for events such as their birthday and having piece of cake.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Mummasaurus Rex  (07-11-2013)