+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Aw Cat, sorry to hear you're struggling. With my last pregnancy I was on insulin within a week (Novotapid and Protophane) and my dosage levels were continually changing - it's tough trying to get the balance right!I have my next antenatal appt next week - if they say I'm not eating enough then I'll request to test every hour as it I'm finding nearly impossible to fit snacks in as well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Cairnsmummy, sorry about the pity party. Sometimes, I get a bit down about the GD. I was really healthy before I was pregnant but the GD has meant that I've had to add more carbs to my diet - something that I've always kept to a minimum because I don't really like bread and wheat-based cereals all that much. They make me feel kind of heavy and blah. I'm having NovoRapid with meals and Levemir at night. And being diagnosed at 10 weeks (I'm 15 weeks now) means I've still got a way to go with the diet changes. Plus I'm a control freak and this is something that I have very little control over...

I know it will all be worth it when I have a healthy bubba at the end of it, sometimes it just all feels a bit much.

Definitely talk to your dr about testing after an hour. I saw a dietician a couple of times when I was first diagnosed and she said if you're hungry you should eat, whether you're between meals and tests or not. Just make a note of it so you can explain if your levels are higher than they should be.

I don't know about you but I keep a food diary (inc. carb count) so that I can look back and see exactly what I've eaten along with all by BG levels. It's helped me to make better choices if one thing in particular always pushes my levels too high.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cat, party away! Having been through it before I can totally understand how frustrating the lack of control can be. It drove me mad that I could eat something one day and be fine and then the same thing would send me rocketing the next day/week! I do like my carbs but I struggle with just how much they want you to eat and my DH totally doesn't understand why either.I'm having a down day myself - it's the day before I need to ring my levels in and all 3 today have been high. Only explanation I can think of is having had a deep tissue massage last night that may have affected me?? Other than today I've had one high reading (Dominos pizza oops!) and two just on 7 - all the rest have been 4s and 5s with a few 6s after dinner. Today I didn't even have morning and afternoon tea or sweet chai like I have been.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Today has been a bad day for me. My after-breakfast level was good but just two hours after brekkie I tested again because I wasn't feeling great - a bit shaky and dizzy - and it'd dropped to 3.5, which is too low. Even an hour after my snack (shredded wheat biscuits, yoghurt and apple) my level was still only 4.4. Lunch was good but then it plummeted again - not as low this time though. I feel like I can't win.

I've emailed my doctor today with the last three days worth of results, plus the in-between tests I've taken, because I think my insulin dose must be too high. I just don't think my levels should fluctuate as wildly as they are. She hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I wonder if it could have been the deep tissue massage? The simplest things seem to have the strangest impacts. No wonder we can't figure it out!

Did you not feel like snacking today, or were you trying not to snack because your levels are higher? I've become dependent on my snacks. I get way too hungry otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I'd agree that your insulin levels may be a bit high if your having hypos like that. Let me know what the dr says. I had a few hypos over the past few weeks which is what clued me to the fact I was probably going to get a positive result. Fasting level was 5.5 this morning. Am going to ring my levels in after I've done my brekkie reading. I'm hoping that they'll let me keep diet controlling and ring in my levels on Monday but I'm not hopeful. I've a massage booked next Wed too (that one session has nearly completely eradicated all my back pain!) so will be interesting to see if my levels go up after that one. Will let you know what the clinic says....keep your fingers crossed for me!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good luck when you talk to the doctor. Here's hoping you can stay on diet control! Let me know how you go.

The dr came back to me late yesterday and has reduced my insulin dosages. She's squeezed me in for an appointment at lunch time today so we can talk about what's going on and take another look at my diet. Hopefully I'll be able to make a bit more sense of what's going on after that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great that they've reduced your dose and I'm sure you'll feel much better once you've had a chat with them about it all. As for me, after brekkie was 6.8. Rang in with my levels and the nurse accepted that because all other readings had been nice and low that maybe yesterday was due to the massage. She said to keep an eye on levels and if they stay high to ring back Monday. Sadly lunch was 7.9 which makes me think I'm heading to insulin. I think if dinner, fasting and brekkie are high again then I may call back tomorrow - not sure I want to wait over the weekend and risk high levels for another few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I hope they drop for you! I would much prefer being able to control with dietary changes than taking the insulin.

My dr said maybe I should consider having a few days in hospital next week, just to get me "right". I have felt so ill off and on for quite a while now. It is my choice so I'll have to think about it. She can't explain to me why about a week ago my levels dropped, which is why I'm now having some "hypos". The only thing I changed last week was to start taking acidophilus tablets again because my digestion hadn't been great. Everything else has been the same. Although today being on reduced dosages I was a lot more stable - not such big drops, which is good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would suck to have to go in but if the end result is your bloods under control and you feeling better then it will definitely be worthwhile. Dinner result was high but this mornings have been back within range so will just continue to track over the weekend and see how I go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How did you go with your results over the weekend? Have you checked in with the nurse again?

I sent my results to the dr this morning. A couple on the weekend were too high but most were good. Most importantly no hypos. Just waiting to hear back from the dr whether she wants me to go to hospital or not.