+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Building - what's not included: extra costs

We're looking at building, just wondering what's dont included in the base price and what are some estimated costs. Obviously window dressing, landscape , driveway.
    What are the hidden items? From what I can gather :
    * down lights- only 1 per room allowed and heard $1000 each
    * only 1 coat of paint
    * only 1 power point per room

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends who u r going with. One builder includes mailbox, clothes line and a couple of other smaller things as the other didn't. One of our quotes didn't include shelves or anything in cupboards, you needed to pay extras for flooring, no curtains, depending on your choices they didn't include air conditioning or certain appliances

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh also whether u want to be nbn ready was extra also. Plus distance the house is from the road due to connections and services. Also the slab for the house depending on soil testing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks yeah it's little things like a clothes line. Hoping to make ourselves a checklist because I wouldn't have even thought about a clothes line or shelves in the cupboard

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah one place wanted $1k plus for each cupboard we wante shelves in so that was like an extra nearly $10k I was like.... For shelves seriously.
    Just walk through your house and see what you have an match it with the inclusions. Sometimes they list what they don't include. The builder we want to go through now gives you everything you need to be able to move in straight up. And we just add extras like water tank, solar and ac for example

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I looked at over 30 builders and ended up building with 1 that included everything indoors so down lights, cupboards, carpets etc. walk through the displays or houses you like and make a list of what you like/want and just ask for an all inclusive price. We found the price for a 30sq house fully fitted out varied from 200k to 450k..... It was crazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rock removal is normally not included, there can be additional costs for building on a slope as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep it varies massively between builders. I process home loans, including construction loans and also had 4 blocks to build on, so I've seen alot of build contracts and bank packs (all the info you have to provide to the bank)

You need to consider things like front door (some builders dont even paint them wtf, so check thats included), screen door, window screens, shower screens, heating, cooling, cupboards, extra power points, flooring, window treatments, soil report & footings cost, power & water supply, rainwater tank, smoke alarms, lighting, kitchen appliances, elevation, then of course landscaping, driveway, shed etc.

Then also think about the quality of fittings & fixtures you want. And paint. I like good quality easy to wash paint but sometimes its the cheapest paint included.

Some builders charge a fortune to move a door / wall / window some do it minimal, some even for free. Most charge through the roof to change after the final plans have been drawn so think carefully.
    Be aware that council approval is generally longer than advised and sometimes more costly.

Pm me if you want to chat more.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone yes we've noticed huge differences in price

Thanks
    Reviews
    The last time we built lots of builders reffered to the packages as 'turn key' this basically meant everything including turf, washing line, concrete, letterbox you name it. So we started asking builders for their standard inclusions list and their turn key packages inclusions list. We compared them ourselves and worked out cost ect. Most builders we went through had a showroom as often we found the turn key packages had cheaper fixings and fittings and we were able to swap and choose what we preffered of course it altered the contract price, but we found it easier to start with a complete house on paper and make upgrades as opposed to a house half finished and source our own tradies and products. It also kept the builder to the 9 week construction timeframe he gave us. For example we choose his tiles from his supirior range which meant they got laid by his tiler the same week the standard tiles would have been laid if we chose them. Rather than going to beaumont tiles ourselves picking tiles, ordering tiles, waiting for there contractor could have held up everyone else iykwim. Just my opinion weve built 2 houses and a 16 unit townhouse complex so ive picked up a thing or 2! Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app