+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, we're swimming in bills at the moment

I tend to stress out a bit when we have a lot of expenses at once! It's a real juggling act.

I always cringe whenever I have to take money out of our savings to help with bills - I try to avoid it at all costs, as the amount we have saved up is pretty darn small in the first place!

Once I've paid our latest electricity bill I'm going to try really hard to pay a bit of money each week onto the electricity account so that I don't receive a massive in-your-face bill each quarter. Those bills really freaking hurt!

Thanks
    Reviews
    All the freaking time! im sick of stressing about money and watching every dollar - seriously! so im going back to work next year. Not that it will help much as i only want to work 2 days, but dh seems to think it will make all the difference. Esp aas we want to save a house deposit. Its so hard to save anything on the one wage.
    We live on a tight budget - dh makes it tighter when the credit card is high. Luckily i have found things to do with the kids that are free. Lukily my kids love the park and are to young to ask for expensive things...or anything, really!

I have been purchasing xmas presents on pay weeks for ages!, (dh gives me $100 per fortnight) just little bits here and there and i put them away. I am just about done with gifts. Family does KK so makes it easier.
    DH gets a xmas bonus and backpay at the end of the year which will help us alot through xmas holidays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a low-income single mum with two toddlers and my family all live overseas. I'm not Australian, so I can't be topped up with SPP, or get the Carer's Allowance for my son.

My son has ASD and requires therapy, but even though he's Australian born, he can't receive help from Disability Services Queensland. So most of it has to be paid by me, in full. Not being able to afford the help he desperately needs kills me.

I have no work for 3 weeks over Christmas and I'm selling everything I don't absolutely need, just so I can get the rent paid while I'm not getting paid. My rego is also due, another $300+ I don't have, but it's a necessity so I'll have to find it somewhere.

I'm forgoing Christmas this year, last Christmas Day my son almost died, so this will be our second not Christmas. I'm just lucky they're too young to truly realise.

I try not to stress over things I can't change, but if I can change them, then make those changes, which I'm doing, it just takes sacrifice, time and patience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh ladies - I feel for you. Years ago I used to stress about finances but thankfully it's a thing of the past.

I never have bills to pay in total - they are often in credit or just a couple of dollars because I pay every single bill fortnightly. I even have a savings account with a different bank that I can't access online and have no card to. I also treat that as a bill.

I never ever go shopping without a list and I also never veer from what's on my list. I also meal plan and don't waste a single bit of food.

I have to be this way though being a single parent - but honestly I just blew $100 at the races on Sunday and I didn't even notice a dent in my savings cos everything else is in place which allows for random luxuries.

I feel for you all - financial stress is horrible

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Those of you with credit cards can you stop them? Are they necessary? Maybe you need to assess what your spending extra that requires you to use a credit card? I've never owned one and hopefully never will.

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    Those of you with credit cards can you stop them? Are they necessary? Maybe you need to assess what your spending extra that requires you to use a credit card? I've never owned one and hopefully never will.
    This one thing I an very thankful for, I have never had a "proper" credit card. When I turned 18, my bank offered me a visa debit card and I have never really saw a need to change from it.

I think DH still has a go master card (interest free) with a small limit on it which has only ever been used for purchasing white goods and paid in full well before the interest free expiry date.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Madame Mayhem; 06-11-2013 at 13:35.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Madame Mayhem For This Useful Post:

ProudMumma34  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too am feeling the pinch. I don't think one income is hard. I know we can do it! What's hard is leading a lifestyle on two incomes then having to change back to one. Plus having an extra mouth (or two in my case) to feed,clothe and diaper adds more financial stress.

I contacted the bank this week to try and consolidate some debt and was given some useful information that may help some here.

Our home loan is variable and I didn't realise that when interest rates dropped you could ask the bank to recalculate your repayments and it's less because interest rates are lower. I'm sure this seems obvious to some but it just didn't click with me

We are now saving $400 a month on our home loan which certainly helps minimise our financial stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    More stressed that ever. Had to take a break from uni as I cannot afford it any more, moved back in with my parents because I couldn't afford rent. I can only afford my car repayments because I got my bond back. Phone bill due anyway now. Not looking forward to it because I had to make a lot of 13 xx xx calls to get legal help to get released from my rental contract. I have no work right now as my work depends on how busy the area I work in is (picks up in 2 weeks, I haven't worked in 6).I had a plan to move out with DP end of the year/beginning of next year but that doesn't look like it's happening. Because work was slow for a while before I had no shifts I haven't bought groceries in over 4 months, I've been living of cans of soup or sometimes no food.

Oh and I sold my old car to my sister to make money and she never paid me.

I'm a 19 year old student.. I can't imagine how hard it would be if I had other mouths to feed, I hope others situations get better .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Absolutely.
    Ds has a big surgery due next month, the private hospital out of pocket expenses, the wheelchair hire, physio, on top its his bday the week before, xmas, and hubby loosing overtime and commissions for the month as he has the entire month off. That commission always boosts credit card and mortgage payments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Does anybody in here not have savings? At the moment we are living week to week and dont even have a $1 in savings to dabble in if we are short Fx we aren't stuck in this rut for too long Its so overwhelming