+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also tend to stress about money, op.... I find it really helps when I feel like I am controlling my money, instead of it controlling me, IYKWIM. I have a budget on an excel spreadsheet, and I have listed every expense monthly and our income, etc (so say if a bill was usually $900 a quarter, I would budget for $300 a month), and how much is left for other things.... it saves it being a big hit all at once when all of the quarterly bills come. I feel like I know what's coming and how much it will cost, and I'm prepared. I even plan Christmas savings in there! I hope that the stress eases up soon

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to stress about it all the time, and it was the cause of many fights between DH and I. Even with 2 full time wages we still seemed to not be able to ever get ahead,

When I fell pregnant the reality hit that things had to change.

I sat down and broke down all our bills in to average weekly amounts and set up a weekly direct debit for each one. While there is still occasions that one of the utilities won't be completely covered when the bill arrives, the majority of it is covered and it's easier to find an extra $100 as apposed to the full amount.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Madame Mayhem For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Harvestmoon if your in Melbourne I have a single mattress that ur more than welcome to for free. It's clean and in good condition.

I stress about money sometimes. Like our gas n electricity bill came sametime. We had to get an extension and miss out on the discount. Plus my husband's gun license renewal. All up $780. Tbh I don't how we would've paid it without the rent assistance arrears we got from centrelink. I decided to update my rent amount paid and I got money back from them.

If it's normal bills coming in then we are fine. We are a low wage income family. I made the decision to quit work for my son. I'm happy to work 1 day a week but thats hard to find.

Anyways I think it also depends on personal expenses and insurances u have. We still can eat out once a week and get staples in shopping. We don't go without.

I started a money box late last year and managed in less than a year to save $1200 just from lose change.

I think it helps to have emergency savings too.

I sometimes stay home most of the week due to low finances. But that's cool we have everything we need.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ProudMumma34 For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep stressed here too. Who's great idea was it to have a baby 6wks before Christmas??
    Seriously though I forecast all our expenses for the year and break it into monthly amounts. Eg I allow $1100 a month for power, water, gas, land rates & mobile. Any surplus gets paid in credit onto our power account. I also have an account specifically for direct debits and transfer the amount needed each month when dh gets paid

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    Harvestmoon if your in Melbourne I have a single mattress that ur more than welcome to for free. It's clean and in good condition.
    Aww.. thank you. I'm not in melb though. It's alright, really. Hopefully by next month I will have got my bond back and finances will be slightly better and I can buy a cheapy from fantastic furniture or the likes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutly stressed. My bank account is in arrears by almost $300, get paid friday but that will cover that and the bills and nothing left for the next fortnight. We do have plenty of food and stuff, will just have to live without ANY extras. May mean walking to school this fortnight too :s

Hopefully after xmas my rent will drop (either that or i'll move out to a cheaper place)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    We are drowning at the moment
    This.

We got on top of everything a while ago, and it felt GREAT. First time ever we had been able to do it. But with recent family emergencies and DH having time off work due to it, we have fallen behind again with a lot of things and struggling to catch up again. It's a vicious cycle. We had our power disconnected the other day, thankfully I was home and managed to catch the contractor before he left. I completely broke down, so he let me use his phone (mine was out of action), to call the electricity company in the hope I could sort something out. After completely breaking down on the phone when the customer service guy said unless we pay in full there is nothing they can do, the contractor jumped on the phone and said "look I haven't called the job in yet, it will take me 5 minutes to connect the power again if you can just sort out an arrangement for her". The customer service guy thankfully accepted this and we organised an arrangement. I was so so grateful to the contractor. He said he has never done that before but he could see how distraught I was and the fact we have a baby and young kids with no family or much support here, he couldn't sit back and do nothing.

I know things will get better again eventually, for a while anyway. We have been talking about moving when our lease is up as well. We love the house we are in, it's perfect, but we pay a lot more rent than what most places here go for, and while we don't want to move, we know its probably the smart thing to do if we want to stop stressing about money.

Me + He =
    DD1, DD2, DD3 & bun in the oven due May 2014

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lil miss, what a lovely story of kindness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Lil miss, what a lovely story of kindness.
    It restores my faith in humanity that's for sure. When I first approached him he got a bit narky (I guess he is used to people abusing him for doing his job), but I explained calmly (as calmly as I could while crying) I understood he was just the "messenger" and doing his job, and just explained the situation and asked what I could do. When he said to call the company and I told him my phone was not working, is when he calmed down and let me use his. He even sat with me for over half an hour handing me tissues while I was on the phone! Couldn't believe a complete stranger could be so kind.

Me + He =
    DD1, DD2, DD3 & bun in the oven due May 2014

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. I work 4 days a week casually. Get centrelink and df is not working at all grr. Then he whinges there is no money but is not actively looking. With rent,food, a solicitor bill that just keeps on climbing and rego due I may be putting an IOU in the kids stockings this year. I hate it. Never been so broke in my life. It's frustrating when the kids want things like internet ( I had disconnected along with home phone cause I couldn't afford it) so now we are on a prepaid mobile that I have to say no. They are such good kids and a reward sometimes would be nice. Not even takeaway here at the moment. If anyone finds a money tree may I have a cutting please.