+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Because it doesn't cause psychosis?
    It's not as detrimental to ones health as other drugs?
    Societal implications aren't comparable to other drugs?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess because those kinds of reactions are pretty rare (as far as I know). My DH and I can drink it all day and well into the night and have no adverse reactions (I don't drink it much since I'm pregnant and I didn't have any withdrawals when I cut right back either). My DH is a nightmare without it though lol.
    Health wise it's not terrible (and even has some benefits), so I guess it's a lesser evil

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they need to consider looking at tobacco and alcohol before tackling a substance that causes minimal harm. Im not suggesting they do, just saying caffeine should be the lowest priority

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arli For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because making caffeine socially unacceptable means making chocolate socially unacceptable and that is just not on.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (05-11-2013),Gandalf  (05-11-2013),rainbow road  (05-11-2013),SassyMummy  (05-11-2013),snowqu33n  (05-11-2013),TimeForWine  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    Because making caffeine socially unacceptable means making chocolate socially unacceptable and that is just not on.

Technically yes, although an entire 200g block of dark chocolate has 1/2 the caffeine of one espresso

As to the original post, I'd have to agree with others. Most people don't react quite so strongly (I personally notice no effects whatsoever, whether I've had no caffeine for a week or whether I've had 3 pots of coffee in 6 hours). Also, it's generally not harmful to the user or to those around them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well I guess the Mormons deem it a drug enough to ban it from their religion, so no Coca Cola, tea/coffee etc.

Sassy, you sound like me when I drink very strong, proper coffee, it makes me super jittery and heightened and my heart speeds up, but I am in the minority with that I am sure. I just drink coffee weak and I'm ok.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I enjoy coffee, it's those giant cans of energy drinks that effect me. I end up feeling dizzy, spaced out and my heart races. I make sure I only have a maximum of 2 cups of coffee a day and because I like energy drinks (not for the so called energy, they do nothing for me- I love the taste and find them filling) I will have 1 or 2 small cans spaced out over the day. The 500ml ones make me feel awful so I don't drink them anymore.
    I agree with pp's, coffee usually does not wreck havoc on society like alcohol and illegal drugs.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have similar reactions to caffeine (in coffee/coke/red bull, not chocolate, phew!) and I don't consume it for that reason. Makes me feel awful and aggravates my SVT!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Caffeine is not a mind-altering drug.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tobacco isn't mind altering either and we all know what it does to a body.

Caffeine is not universally acceptable in a social setting. It depends on where you go. Here in Australia, the dangers of caffeine are medically recognised (what you described, OP, sounded akin to caffeine toxicity) but not socially recognised due to the popularity of coffee and energy drinks. We also have magazines devoted to coffee and an industry that charges a whopping $5 a cup which people lap up so unless the public is subjected to some form of education campaign, its consumption (and over consumption) is unlikely to stop.

However, in other parts of the world energy drinks are banned and to drink coffee after mid morning is frowned upon.

We're a bit behind here.