+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No I don't get it, sorry. If we go out in the evening it is much easier to have MIL look after our kids while they are asleep in their own beds (they are too young for sleep overs).

And really, unless you have a dead body in your cupboard, who cares if she looks at your linen? (I have to admit I had a peek in my MIL's linen cupboard to see if there were any vintage sheets in there I could ask for to make stuff with)

If she folds our washing (which she always does), I thank her. I am a lazy pegger, one peg, haphazardly pegged on any part of the clothes. MIL re pegs stuff so it has more pegs and hangs `properly'. I don't care, I have more important things to think about than how stuff is pegged out or if she touched my undies when she folded them up.

Raising a kid is sooooooo much easier if you accept help from your village- even if that help is sometimes a bit meddling.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-11-2013),Cicho  (06-11-2013),KillerHeels  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids are raised. Without asking MIL for anything. They are 20, 8 and 4 years old.

If she folded my washing while she were here I would FREAK OUT

Don't touch my stuff lady! She isn't here to be my blardy house maid. She would be here to babysit.

I haven't lived at home for 25 years or so. I haven't had a mother since I was 18 months old. I can fold my own stuff and clean my own cupboards out!

Maybe I'm just too independent for my own good

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum does my dishes and laundry while she watches DD. I don't mind so long as she leaves my bedroom alone. If she didn't I would deadest put a lock on it and stuff everything in there that I didn't want touched. That being said, there is very little I care about people seeing and coming home to all my dishes and laundry in the wrong place is a small price to pay to have DD cared for in her own environment. IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am with you 100 % and can understand and relate to you being wary. My Mil is the biggest snoop out and we would never leave her unattended in our home. When we moved and were unpacking she went through our things..even opened up smaller boxes inside a big box even tho it was clearly labelled to what was inside it..totally inappropriate she went through our messages that guests had written for us on our wedding day. So yeah she would never be allowed alone in our home.. having said that she only lives 5 mins away so a bit of a different situation. Hope it works out for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicho View Post
    My kids are raised. Without asking MIL for anything. They are 20, 8 and 4 years old.

If she folded my washing while she were here I would FREAK OUT

Don't touch my stuff lady! She isn't here to be my blardy house maid. She would be here to babysit.

I haven't lived at home for 25 years or so. I haven't had a mother since I was 18 months old. I can fold my own stuff and clean my own cupboards out!

Maybe I'm just too independent for my own good
    What state are you in? Could you perhaps send her around to my house?? I'm more than happy for her to fold my washing and mind my children while I go out. In return if she wants to snoop I'm fine with that. Go for your life. I would just be grateful for any help I got.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (18-11-2013),Mod-Myztik  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go out & enjoy yourself OP! You deserve a break & it sounds like a pretty rare opportunity.

I think you really need to relax about MIL possibly doing something to 'help'. Really, how is that a problem at the end if the day? Mountain out of a mole hill, maybe? Folding the washing is a kind gesture not an interference! Maybe try to see it from a different perspective.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JungleMum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-11-2013),Cicho  (06-11-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I'd be ok with it with my relatives, I can understand that you don't feel comfortable about it with your mil, and I think that's ok. There are relatives that I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving alone in my house (although I probably I wouldn't leave my kids with them anyway if that were the case!)

I think you'd need to be comfortable with it otherwise you may not enjoy your night out anyway iykwim?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 1234Guest For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    What state are you in? Could you perhaps send her around to my house?? I'm more than happy for her to fold my washing and mind my children while I go out. In return if she wants to snoop I'm fine with that. Go for your life. I would just be grateful for any help I got.
    Sure. You can have her! Not all that glitters is gold though

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can understand where you're coming from OP and I certainly wouldnt want my MIL left alone in my house to baby sit...

If your not comfortable with it dont go, if you do go your just going to be stressing all night and hardly enjoy it.
    Do you have a friend that you wouldn't mind asking to babysit for a few hours instead?

Some MILs clearly don't know personal boundaries and I would like to know how looking through your stuff is 'helping'??

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to breez For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (06-11-2013),rach85  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    never thought about the possibility of what it might mean for MIL to be alone...they are coming up in few weeks to mind our kids overnight so will be there for about 24 hours....i didnt even think about snooping etc!!! thinking about it tho...i dont care if she does..good luck trying to find anything in our bombsite

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jfblady72 For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (06-11-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast