+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well I don't really have too much out for anyone to see really, including my DH and kids! I kind of pendantic that I file bills away etc so they are not all over the place and getting lost.

Last time MIL was here I saw her checking out my bathroom linen closet! I was in the kitchen and could see her reflection in the bathroom mirror eyeing the what was in the cupboard up and down! WTH for I'll never know.

MIL thinks it's her life's mission to 'help' everyone . I don't want her rearranging my tupperware, or towels, or whatever, because that is 'better' or 'easier!' and that's what my gut tells me will happen.

Thanks everyone for your responses but I think I'll give Saturday night a miss.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I honestly don't understand the issue. She is your DHs mum and your kids grandma, why does she need to be supervised?

And I think it's pretty normal for grandparents to come over to babysit.
    Agreed

Thanks
    Reviews
    my MIL has never baby sat from day dot. No real reason. My mum has just done it when ever we have needed her and she knows the routine and does everything so well and with ease. Its just easier and more convienient to ask my mum.
    MIL works full time, she is not always avail during the week for appointments ect.
    They both live 3hrs away but mum doesnt work and is here in a heartbeat. We can leave as soon as she arrives and dont need to give her instructions.
    Its just easier.
    i guess i could have asked MIL to babysit more often from the beginning but i never found the right "reason" to ask her to babysit.

AS for MIL going through your stuff, i think its her way of helping you out. maybe she gets bored while kids r sleeping or whatever and tries to tidy up for you? but you see it as snooping?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Beefie For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefie View Post
    my MIL has never baby sat from day dot. No real reason. My mum has just done it when ever we have needed her and she knows the routine and does everything so well and with ease. Its just easier and more convienient to ask my mum.
    MIL works full time, she is not always avail during the week for appointments ect.
    They both live 3hrs away but mum doesnt work and is here in a heartbeat. We can leave as soon as she arrives and dont need to give her instructions.
    Its just easier.
    i guess i could have asked MIL to babysit more often from the beginning but i never found the right "reason" to ask her to babysit.

AS for MIL going through your stuff, i think its her way of helping you out. maybe she gets bored while kids r sleeping or whatever and tries to tidy up for you? but you see it as snooping?
    Yeah, she does like to 'help ' out, because nobody ever does anything the 'right way' aka HER way!

Bare in mind I am late 30's, 3 kids, eldest is 20 YEARS OLD! I don't need MIL helping me (in her words). If she would just babysit and watch telly that would be ok, but she won't. She will touch my things, possibly re-arrange stuff, so it can be 'better! ' etc. I just couldn't stand it.

I am not a child, nor am I a first time mum struggling along (of course not all mums' do that, only MIL ). She tars everyone with the same brush. Hers!

I don't think I would cope going out and leaving her here. My kids aren't particularly close to her so they aren't phased if she comes or not.

I think I will give Saturday a miss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why not ask your 20 year old to babysit??

Back in my day, ABC played Alice Cooper on the kids cartoons and our cartoons could talk. Being a kid sucks now.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (06-11-2013),beebs  (18-11-2013),Bubbles10  (06-11-2013),Mod-Myztik  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you need to relax a little and go out. If she rearranges something is it the end of the world? Just move it back when she leaves.
    Last edited by Lincolns mummy; 05-11-2013 at 14:32.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-11-2013),gizmoduckus  (05-11-2013),KillerHeels  (18-11-2013),townsvillenat  (06-11-2013),~BEXTER~  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Why not ask your 20 year old to babysit??

Back in my day, ABC played Alice Cooper on the kids cartoons and our cartoons could talk. Being a kid sucks now.
    20 year old lives 3 hours away, works full time and studies. I don't want to bother her

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a bit of a neat freak and fairly organised - I hate it when people "help" to tidy up because i find things in the wrong place and its just frustrating.
    I then take a step back and remember they mean well and even though they have a weird way of showing it, they care and are truly trying to help.

If you get a night out with your partner does it really matter if you come back to rearranged Tupperware

DH(31)+ Me(25)=
    DS (09/12/09)
    DS (04/02/13)
    #3 due 20/07/13

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lexim For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (05-11-2013),Mokeybear  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know she means well, but it's just unnecessary.

She knows I am a bit funny about my stuff (I'll admit it!) but I would expect that would be all the more reason for her to leave things alone while she is here?

It's easier just not to go. I've never had her babysit in my home for the last 8 years, what's one more night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have always preferred the in laws to come here, in fact, DDs only stayed at their house twice on her own.