Closed Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be ****ed off and I too would be talking to the principal. If there were teachers who could supervise why could they not supervise some drawing, art and craft , outside time. Surely something better then watching spongebob. I totally support you OP.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Deleted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Out of curiosity ( I don't have school aged kids yet and don't know any teachers!) what hours do normal primary school teachers work ? I'm assuming they would have to go in a few hours before and after school but is it an 8 or 10 hour day or more?
    Legally in Victoria teachers need to

- be ready for supervision by 8.45am (most of our teachers are already at school by 8am to prepare)

- need to finish supervising by 3.45pm (most will leave between 4-5pm, depending on the time of year)

- they have 3 hours of meetings a week, some before and some after school and can be recalled for and extra meeting if required.

- our meeting nights are tues/ we'd and finish at 4.45pm and we have 2x morning briefing at 8.30 each week

- they have 2 weeks meeting free to support in report writing

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (05-11-2013),loveshack  (06-11-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Out of curiosity ( I don't have school aged kids yet and don't know any teachers!) what hours do normal primary school teachers work ? I'm assuming they would have to go in a few hours before and after school but is it an 8 or 10 hour day or more?
    I don't know if I count as 'normal', but before mat leave I would get up at 6.30 to do prep, then prep before school from 8, then home at 4, small break then usually more work from 6-10ish. Plus one full weekend day. In the school holidays I would have one work-free day per week, then work for the other days.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    lol. The old 'I pay taxes' argument. Maybe I don't?
    That is your choice I guess, although I assume you pay for some goods and services therefore paying GST? Unless you live off the grid but given you are using the internet I assume not. Not sure why it was funny?

My point being that public school is not some benevolent service provided by the government and that the parents have to cop cruddy standards on the chin.
    It is provided as part of the society that we live in that is funded by the people who pay taxes (wether that be through income tax, GST etc). And just because something is tax-payer funded, does not mean you have no right to expect a high level of service, I personally think it should be the highest standard available.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

babyla  (05-11-2013),loveshack  (06-11-2013),River Song  (05-11-2013),smallpotatoes  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was just one day.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to madreader For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (05-11-2013)

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    That is your choice I guess, although I assume you pay for some goods and services therefore paying GST? Unless you live off the grid but given you are using the internet I assume not. Not sure why it was funny?

My point being that public school is not some benevolent service provided by the government and that the parents have to cop cruddy standards on the chin.
    It is provided as part of the society that we live in that is funded by the people who pay taxes (wether that be through income tax, GST etc). And just because something is tax-payer funded, does not mean you have no right to expect a high level of service, I personally think it should be the highest standard available.
    It was funny because it often an argument bought up on this forum. I don't have a sense of entitlement on anything. Nor would I ever demand that government provided services be of the highest standard. But that's just me. Let's agree to disagree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The teachers I know get to school at 7-7.15am and leave at 4.30-5pm. Most would get either morning or afternoon break (without yard duty).
    As a student teacher I was at school 7am-4pm (8.30-3 school hours) then did work at home 8-10pm every night.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by madreader View Post
    It was just one day.
    Lol I know!

It's not like the teacher was crying in fetal position with an ice pack on her head in the corner of the room after a big night on the tequila ... And it happens every Monday...

Man I would hate to be a teacher dealing with all the differing parental styles, it would be a nightmare.

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013),callmedragon22  (05-11-2013),Chippa  (05-11-2013),CMF  (05-11-2013),Kishimojin  (05-11-2013),Lauzy  (05-11-2013),madreader  (09-11-2013),MamaDuck  (05-11-2013),threechooks  (05-11-2013),VicPark  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    It was funny because it often an argument bought up on this forum. I don't have a sense of entitlement on anything. Nor would I ever demand that government provided services be of the highest standard. But that's just me. Let's agree to disagree.
    That's a shame...lots of interesting stuff to explore in that statement!

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast