Closed Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    Oh for heavens sake!

It's the end of the school year, kids are tired and would have completed most of the major learning aspect to the year already.They properly really benefitted from a couple of hours chilling out.

Total over reaction in my opinion.

Meh
    This! If it was happening often then sure, talk to someone about it. But a one off? No big deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    I think if your child is attending a public school you have to cop it sweet. If you are paying school fees, you are paying for a service and are entitled to complain about not receiving the said service. JMO.
    No, public school does not mean second rate. You are paying for the service---with your taxes!

I don't personally know that I would go to the principal, if I was concerned about the content of the movie I would probably discuss it directly with the teacher.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (06-11-2013)

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    No, public school does not mean second rate. You are paying for the service---with your taxes!

I don't personally know that I would go to the principal, if I was concerned about the content of the movie I would probably discuss it directly with the teacher.
    lol. The old 'I pay taxes' argument. Maybe I don't?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    Oh for heavens sake!

It's the end of the school year, kids are tired and would have completed most of the major learning aspect to the year already.They properly really benefitted from a couple of hours chilling out.

Total over reaction in my opinion.

Meh
    I don't understand how kids are tired etc. at this time of the year? It's the beginning of November and there's a month and a half of school to go. I'm totally okay with end of the year movie, concert, dance, etc. but at this time of the year giving report writing as the reason? Totally irresponsible...not only in teaching but any other profession.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    I don't understand how kids are tired etc. at this time of the year? It's the beginning of November and there's a month and a half of school to go. I'm totally okay with end of the year movie, concert, dance, etc. but at this time of the year giving report writing as the reason? Totally irresponsible...not only in teaching but any other profession.
    My kids were always noticeable tired towards the end of the year, end of term too.

No harms been done, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a regular thing, sounds like a complete one off.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    DD1 watched 2 movies back-to-back with her class during the learning time between recess and lunch as her teachers had to go off to prepare the term reports. I just don't agree with this. Why can't they do it during school hours without interrupting kids' learning or at home? Even if it was during the Music period, how responsible is it to let kids watch movies as they are lagging behind in finishing their reports?
    Haha oh my, do you know any school teachers? I do, 3 x primary teachers & 2 x high school teachers. All 5 of them work their butts of all through term. Some of them to the point where I don't see them until holidays & then they get sick from burning the candle at both ends all term. They stay up late & get up early to plan lessons, organise resources, mark mark mark (I've helped with a lot of this, my bestie is a primary school teacher & some weekends all we've done together is mark work!!!)

I think it's GREAT the school has allocated time for the teachers to help them get this done in school time for ONCE rather then their own time.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mummy Potato For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013),gumnutbaby  (05-11-2013),Mokeybear  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry that was a bit feisty, bit of a sore spot for me, seen first hand how hard they work, how little they get paid, little funding etc it's a hard job

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy Potato For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FITCHICK View Post
    Haha oh my, do you know any school teachers? I do, 3 x primary teachers & 2 x high school teachers. All 5 of them work their butts of all through term. Some of them to the point where I don't see them until holidays & then they get sick from burning the candle at both ends all term. They stay up late & get up early to plan lessons, organise resources, mark mark mark (I've helped with a lot of this, my bestie is a primary school teacher & some weekends all we've done together is mark work!!!)

I think it's GREAT the school has allocated time for the teachers to help them get this done in school time for ONCE rather then their own time.
    Completely agree, I have friends that are teachers as well and have also seen first hand how much of their own time is used to keep it all rolling.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    I think if your child is attending a public school you have to cop it sweet. If you are paying school fees, you are paying for a service and are entitled to complain about not receiving the said service. JMO.
    Ah no you don't have to cop anything sweet. Public schools are just as accountable in providing a quality education. You are entitled to make a complaint if you have an issue, it's your child's education public or private is irrelevant.

FWIW OP I don't think you need to see the principal, maybe speak directly to the teachers. I think they're playing their cards too early in the term playing movies now.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (05-11-2013),loveshack  (06-11-2013),Mummy Potato  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Out of curiosity ( I don't have school aged kids yet and don't know any teachers!) what hours do normal primary school teachers work ? I'm assuming they would have to go in a few hours before and after school but is it an 8 or 10 hour day or more?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast