Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    I think I must be in a minority but it was a once off, so I wouldnt even bat an eyelid at it. Sure if it was happening frequently then I'd complain but it was one day.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I agree with you. I think going straight to the principal is an overreaction, tbh. It's so hard to please everyone - too much homework, not enough homework! Working them too hard, shouldn't have given them a break!

I do think that it's worth saying to the teacher that you didn't feel this was an appropriate movie to watch, as it wouldn't have been hard to come up with an activity to support this time ie writing down plot points, character descriptions etc. If there was a pattern of this going on and you'd spoken to the teacher about it, only then would I go to the principal.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013),loveshack  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To me if its a once off its not a big deal and its completely over the top to go to the principal over it.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013),Curby  (05-11-2013),DailyDiversion  (05-11-2013),madreader  (05-11-2013),tatia&shura  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds's teacher has 2 teachers aids in the class with her. His teacher is still at school after school is finished.

Watching movies in class would not be ok on a regular occurrence and especially not watching them back to back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest I think you are completely over reacting. My DH is a teacher, I am training to be one and the amount of outside work required is astronomical. It was one day. Yes, two movies is a bit of over kill but if it happened Once I wouldn't care at all. Regularly, then certainly take it further.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The movies must be related to the curriculum or they are outside their terms of use legally. Depending on the rating of the video and the age of the children as to whether a permission form would be necessary. ie. PG can not be shown to the younger students.

I've never known any teachers to do reports during school time. Alternative could have been an assortment of educational structured activities and games to reinforce what they have been doing in class.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

babyla  (05-11-2013),loveshack  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a one off I think it's ok but I can't understand the teachers writing reports at school. I only teach 2 days per week but spend many many hours at home writing reports, checking them, editing them, checking them again etc. I might only get paid for working part time but you still have to do the load of a full time teacher in regards to programming, report writing and the like.

Staff development days are never used for report writing or planning. At my school they are aways used for training purposes. Planning and report writing are done in your own time.

OP I don't think it's worth a complaint to the principal but if it happens again I'd be taking action.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Teachers should not be writing reports during student learning time. I wouldn't be happy either OP. As a teacher I would not write reports during learning time. This is the sort of crap which gives the teaching profession tagged as unprofessional. I'm not against movies for educational purposes or end of term treats but used as a babysitting tool so teachers can catch up on report writing is not on.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (06-11-2013)

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think if your child is attending a public school you have to cop it sweet. If you are paying school fees, you are paying for a service and are entitled to complain about not receiving the said service. JMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It wouldn't really bother me as a once off. DD sometimes tells me they watched a movie at school and I don't think anything of it because I know her class work very hard throughout the year. I think going to the principal is a bit over the top but can understand politely talking to the teacher if you're concerned.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

DailyDiversion  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh for heavens sake!

It's the end of the school year, kids are tired and would have completed most of the major learning aspect to the year already.They properly really benefitted from a couple of hours chilling out.

Total over reaction in my opinion.

Meh

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013),Kishimojin  (05-11-2013),madreader  (05-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (05-11-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast