Closed Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Totally dont have a problem with it. As longbss it wasnt a weekly thing.

But I agree kids are knackered this time of year. You can see it all over their little faces every afternoon when I pick dd up. Plus its getting hotter.

I dont care what the teacher was doing while the kids were watching a movie, she was obviously being productive as in reporting or marking or something. My dd told me the other day they played board games all day as they had a relief teacher, shes only prep but meh whats 1 day?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    Inspite of people in this thread talking about specific instances relating to this situation and the teachers concerned, I'm amazed at how people have generalized the whole situation, in particular the teaching profession. Teachers having to defend themselves itself speaks a lot about the state of the profession right now. And coming to the point of tired kids, I've pointed out again and again that this was not a 'giving an energy boost movie time' but a 'teacher needs to do reports movie time'.
    Quitting this thread now.
    Maybe we should have this conversation again when you are a few years in the actual job and some of the shiny has rubbed off abit.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013),Chippa  (06-11-2013),gizmoduckus  (06-11-2013),Radio  (05-11-2013),SassyMummy  (05-11-2013),tootsiegirl  (05-11-2013),VicPark  (05-11-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Inspite of people in this thread talking about specific instances relating to this situation and the teachers concerned, I'm amazed at how people have generalized the whole situation, in particular the teaching profession. Teachers having to defend themselves itself speaks a lot about the state of the profession right now. And coming to the point of tired kids, I've pointed out again and again that this was not a 'giving an energy boost movie time' but a 'teacher needs to do reports movie time'.
    Quitting this thread now.
    You've quoted me so I'll respond in case you do come back and have a read. I don't actually completely understand what your comment means, but I think the point is that you *can't* generalize this situation without knowing for sure what actually happened and what the circumstances were. The teachers who have commented have done so to offer some possible perspectives based on their insight and experience. Some people agreed that it was unacceptable. Others thought your response was over the top.

There were some general comments made about teachers, and those of us who are teachers responded to that, with the general message being that teachers are human too. I'm not sure what you are implying this means about the state of the profession.

One thing I do know is that in general teachers in a school try to support each other and to do so in a non-judgmental way. This will be so important to you in your first few years of teaching, because I promise that no one is the type of teacher they think they'll be in the first couple of years. It is a *profession*. It takes time to learn and to adapt to its challenges. Teachers have off days, and errors of judgement just like everyone does.

I apologize if I sounded rude, but I stand by what I said - you *were* judging the teacher to the point where you complained to the principal without speaking to the teacher first; you then said you would never ever do what this teacher has apparently done. I do hope that your colleagues will be more forgiving if they don't like something you do in the classroom.

I hope you get the response you are seeking from the principal.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (06-11-2013),gizmoduckus  (06-11-2013),Mokeybear  (05-11-2013),River Song  (05-11-2013),sammy11  (05-11-2013),Star81  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bypassing the teacher and complaining directly to the Principal for a matter like this is pretty poor form. I feel really sorry for this teacher.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013),tatia&shura  (06-11-2013),VicPark  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think your 7 year old is (unintentionally) exaggerating. I didn't know there was a spongebob "feature movie"...

I remember when I was in primary school (year 6) towards the end of term the teacher made us watch "Animal farm." My friends and I whined and moaned about having to watch a cartoon "we're not babies." Now I wish I had pulled my head out of my @rse and realised the significance of what the teacher had chosen for us.

As a one off I wouldn't be fussed. There are much worse things that happen to kids in this world than a one-off Spongebob.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds very much like it was the only opportunity for those 3 teachers to get together & liaise or check over each other's reports - with part timers it can get very difficult to find common time.

I'm a secondary teacher and my lessons are never as well structured or engaging during report time - I just don't have the time or energy to plan great lessons. Plenty of teachers use a valuable sick day to get reports done.

Point is that something has to give.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013),loveshack  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Altogether now! "OOOOHHH, he lives in a pineapple under the sea!"

Seriously though, I wouldn't have given the event a second thought. It's not like they're watching MTV everyday or anything.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Teachers having to defend themselves itself speaks a lot about the state of the profession right now.
    Ahhhh no, no, no, this is not a "right now" thing.....I have been a teacher for 25 years and as I am sure you will find yourself after 25 years of teaching service, we have and are always being condemned, criticised and called on to explain our methods, our ideals, our time management skills and often find ourselves on the defensive, it goes with the job - it's not a "right now" thing, it's an ongoing forever situation.

The other thing you will find is that teachers support teachers, it's one of the great aspects of our profession

And welcome to the profession by the way. I think quite possibly that the first time you are invited for "a chat" with the Principal (after a parent bypasses you the teacher to raise your classroom management skills or teaching strategies with your Principal).....(and it will happen btw) that you may cast your mind back to this very minor episode and see it perhaps a little differently from the other side.

All the best,
    Biscotti
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 05-11-2013 at 21:15.

15. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013),cheeeeesecake  (05-11-2013),Chippa  (06-11-2013),DailyDiversion  (05-11-2013),gizmoduckus  (06-11-2013),harvs  (05-11-2013),LoveLivesHere  (05-11-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (06-11-2013),Mokeybear  (05-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (05-11-2013),sammy11  (05-11-2013),Star81  (05-11-2013),Theboys&me  (05-11-2013),VicPark  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    Ahhhh no, no, no, this is not a "right now" thing.....I have been a teacher for 25 years and as I am sure you will find yourself after 25 years of teaching service, we have and are always being condemned, criticised and called on to explain our methods, our ideals, our time management skills and often find ourselves on the defensive, it goes with the job - it's not a "right now" thing, it's an ongoing forever situation.

The other thing you will find is that teachers support teachers, it's one of the great aspects of our profession

And welcome to the profession by the way. I think quite possibly that the first time you are invited for "a chat" with the Principal (after a parent bypasses you the teacher to raise your classroom management skills or teaching strategies with your Principal).....(and it will happen btw) that you may cast your mind back to this very minor episode and see it perhaps a little differently from the other side.

All the best,
    Biscotti
    I am NOT a teacher, just a mum that has had kids in school for over 14 years but I agree with 100%.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti  (05-11-2013),Star81  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Anyone would think the teacher left the kids watching movies so she could go out to lunch or for a smoke! She was preparing reports, last time I checked that's part of her job too. If this is the first time it has been mentioned by your dd then clearly Its not a regular occurance so what's the issue? The kids get a break considering Its almost the end of the year and the teacher gets a chance to start on reports, something she probably has to continue into the afternoon/night and her weekends. If it was happening constantly then you would have something to ***** about but this? Honestly not worth mentioning.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013),gizmoduckus  (06-11-2013)