Closed Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    First of all, monkey bear - I love you dearly right now You're the kind of parent that I love having in my class.
    I find it really hard to judge the situation without more information. I've personally never been given time off to finish reports, but I have let my students watch a 'movie' (usually 45ish mins) once per term at the end of each term. If the students were watching 2 hours of tv three times a term, I would perhaps find it concerning - if it is a few times per year - I think that's completely reasonable, and I would have loved to be able to work on my reports while the students had a little rest. Any teacher knows that a group of 25ish students will not sit for hours in front of a movie without getting restless, so I think that it would not have been as long as you think, op.

I also think that as a student teacher, you really have no idea as to the workload of being a full time teacher, and it's great to have all of these ideals, but sometimes it is just impossible to get everything done, especially during term 4. My regular work hours used to be 7 - 4:30 4 days per week and 7 - 7 on the 5th day, and then usually appx. 15 extra hours per week outside of those times on a regular week (so maybe 5 hours on a Saturday and 1-2 hours every night after dinner). This was just a regular week - then you add in report writing, end of year concerts, special assemblies, end of year ceremonies, parent-teacher nights, etc - and it very quickly adds up. Concert week, I would generally work 7am - 10pm mon-thu, and then on Fri, that was movie/activity/etc day. I find it surprising that you don't understand how children become tired by this time of year, but you will find out I guess when you are teaching full time. Mind you, I did work in a private school with high expectations, but many public schools have high expectations also.

I do think that teaching isn't as family-friendly as people think. You are often expected to put your students first in front of your family, by the parents more so than by anyone else.

I would also think that perhaps the teacher has other issues that you are unaware of. Perhaps she is early pregnant and is exhausted, and is just trying to get through the term. Perhaps a close relative is sick or dying and she has other issues to worry about. For me to be able to watch a movie with my class, I would always have to run it by the principal first (high accountability!), and she would take into consideration also how I was managing eg, when I was pregnant. Teachers are people too, it is a demanding job, and most want the best for their students. There are some, but very very few, genuinely lazy teachers out there who take the 'easy' way out in educating their students.

I also wanted to add, teachers often do not get a lunch break or even a coffee break - when not on duty, they are usually preparing for lessons etc, or making phonecalls to difficult parents who complain about watching movies in class time. This usually only leaves 3 mins of recess left to rush into the staff room, make a coffee, b*tch to the other staff about 'Mrs x who is being a total PITA about the kids watching 30mins of tv once a term! Good luck grade 5 teacher, she's yours next year! Gosh kids would be easier if they didn't have parents etc.... oh sh*t, I didn't get to drink my coffee or eat my food, oh well........' so it can be difficult to get a lot of extra things achieved during the school day.
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 05-11-2013 at 19:11.

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (05-11-2013),Anjalee  (05-11-2013),beebs  (05-11-2013),CakeyMumma  (05-11-2013),callmedragon22  (05-11-2013),Chippa  (06-11-2013),CMF  (05-11-2013),FearlessLeader  (05-11-2013),gizmoduckus  (05-11-2013),harvs  (05-11-2013),IvyRain  (05-11-2013),jellybub  (05-11-2013),Kishimojin  (05-11-2013),LoveLivesHere  (05-11-2013),lubelu2  (05-11-2013),Miados2007  (05-11-2013),Mokeybear  (05-11-2013),mrsd  (05-11-2013),River Song  (05-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-11-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (05-11-2013),Stretched  (05-11-2013),Tamtam  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I would 10000% guarantee that there is not one teacher in Australia who completes their program each term. We often plan for 8 weeks, even on 10 or 11 week term and still don't finish everything. So much stuff happening that rarely everything in the program gets covered. There is so much stuff happening at this time of year as well...presentation day, end of year concerts/assemblies to practise. Tidy up classrooms, change rooms if you're moving class the next year.
    Exactly but they try very hard to. Busy term that's for sure.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 05-11-2013 at 19:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm starting to wonder what some parents think of me getting my kids to help scrub their tidy trays at the end of each year - no learning there ... Just a bit of child labour

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (05-11-2013),callmedragon22  (05-11-2013),cheeeeesecake  (05-11-2013),Chippa  (05-11-2013),gizmoduckus  (05-11-2013),jellybub  (05-11-2013),loveshack  (06-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (05-11-2013),snowqu33n  (05-11-2013),Stretched  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    I'm starting to wonder what some parents think of me getting my kids to help scrub their tidy trays at the end of each year - no learning there ... Just a bit of child labour
    I think that is good. Students need to learn to look after their own belongings and others. I think it is perfectly acceptable for students to clean their classroom and equipment in the room.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jellybub For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (06-11-2013),ozeymumof5  (05-11-2013)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Is that all you do? Mine clean out sports sheds, wash windows, tidy the library, help teachers move rooms etc etc. the tub is the tip of the ice berg!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (05-11-2013),loveshack  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I can't understand how you don't understand that kids can be tired at this time of year??

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I agree.

Seriously as a mum who has kids going to school for 14 years. This really concerns me. OP If you are planning to be a teacher you really need to get your head around this. Most Kids are getting tired by this time of year. This is a simple fact. I have 4 at school at the moment, it is not uncommon to have all 4 fall asleep on the way home from school.

As for watching a bit of tv in class time. As a once off thing no biggie as a every week thing,Hell no.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Is that all you do? Mine clean out sports sheds, wash windows, tidy the library, help teachers move rooms etc etc. the tub is the tip of the ice berg!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

At our school they do all that plus make meals for the elderly, signs and props for the towns Christmas play etc... you know instill sense of community and community service.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (06-11-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    You don't understand why kids are tired in November?Really? And you've just completed a teaching degree? Sorry OP, I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt, but now two things strike me from your posts a) completely over the top and a complete overreaction on your part, and b) you just don't know kids at all do you? Your child may be fine, but lots of kids are totally over school at this time of year. You will no doubt find out the hard way when you start working.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    I think you *are* judging others! It's great that you feel that way about yourself. Chances are though that you will do something in your teaching life you pledged never to do. I have. We don't know the circumstances that led to the events of the OP's situation, but I can think of half a dozen just off the top of my head.

I hope when you end up doing something in your job that you pledged you wouldn't that you are more forgiving of yourself. And that others are more forgiving of you.
    Inspite of people in this thread talking about specific instances relating to this situation and the teachers concerned, I'm amazed at how people have generalized the whole situation, in particular the teaching profession. Teachers having to defend themselves itself speaks a lot about the state of the profession right now. And coming to the point of tired kids, I've pointed out again and again that this was not a 'giving an energy boost movie time' but a 'teacher needs to do reports movie time'.
    Quitting this thread now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    Inspite of people in this thread talking about specific instances relating to this situation and the teachers concerned, I'm amazed at how people have generalized the whole situation, in particular the teaching profession. Teachers having to defend themselves itself speaks a lot about the state of the profession right now. And coming to the point of tired kids, I've pointed out again and again that this was not a 'giving an energy boost movie time' but a 'teacher needs to do reports movie time'.
    Quitting this thread now.
    You know this how though??? Because they said to the kids they were doing reports??? If I've ever put a movie in I wouldn't say to my class 'because you seem tired'.

Sorry we didn't fire off at another teacher as quickly as you have. Perhaps once you're more experienced in the job you may have a more understanding viewpoint.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-11-2013),gizmoduckus  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I would think its fan bloody tastic!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app