+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing - having the same issue here.

Lying down is what works best for me, but not practical when you are out and about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Thanks ladies...

Hey nomsie I have oversupply abd fast let down.

Holly: it's funny that you mentioned you think pumping when you had pain is what led to your oversupply. When bub was a week old I had to pump for a bit because my nipples were too sore/damaged to feed. Now I pump once per day around 9pm so hubby can give bub a 10pmish bottle of EBM.

Holly what did your LC mean you only had to sterilise the equipment once per day? What if you have to pump 6-10 times before every feed, won't the pump, bottles etc become contaminated then? (Re pump and dump, not sure I could bring myself to do that!)

Miss Kitty/Holly I was thinking about hand expressing into a towell but I'm not sure of this will work. I'm pumping now and the flow was super-dooper fast until I hit the 60mls mark...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfish30 View Post
    Subbing - having the same issue here.

Lying down is what works best for me, but not practical when you are out and about.
    Lying down... I can't do it! Can't get the position right bub ends up pulling on my nipple and it hurts...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Lying down... I can't do it! Can't get the position right bub ends up pulling on my nipple and it hurts...
    Pop bub on a firm pillow and you lean over him with the boob. The pillow gives height so attachment is easier.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You still wash everything after use but only have to sterilize once a day. Breastmilk items just don't need to be sterilized as often as formula items.

My theory about pumping leading to my oversupply is because the flow/supply is only a problem on the breast I solely pumped for a couple days because of the pain. The other breast is fine, sometimes he's struggles with the flow but only when it's super full because he's slept longer than usual. Also the couple times I've pumped since, my right side is like a crazy sprinkler and I get heaps out of it whereas my left goes much slower and not as much comes out as the right.

I think they say there's a risk of giving yourself an oversupply if you pump while breastfeeding is still getting established.

I also have a hard time getting a pain free latch on the right side if I try to lay back but can do it on my left. :/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Found this excellent article... One of the signs of oversupply is an excessive amount of wet nappies... More than 5ish in 24 hours... My bub can have 3 during a 2 hour period in the evening when we're trying to settle him.

Apparently things settle down after 6 weeks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Found this excellent article... One of the signs of oversupply is an excessive amount of wet nappies... More than 5ish in 24 hours... My bub can have 3 during a 2 hour period in the evening when we're trying to settle him.

Apparently things settle down after 6 weeks?
    Really? The midwives here say he has to have about 8 wet nappies a day to know he's getting enough....

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    The ABA do little booklets about various topics and oversupply is one of them. They were $5 in 2008 when I had my boys, not sure if they are the same price now but I don't think they would have gone up too much.

With the pumping before feeding, it's strictly to get through the let down. Never pump more than you need, and also a cold compress on your breast can help slow down or discourage the milk. (Just the same as a nice warm one can encourage it if you're having trouble that way). I used to keep a frozen facewasher in a ziplock bag in the freezer to hold on my breast during let down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    The ABA do little booklets about various topics and oversupply is one of them. They were $5 in 2008 when I had my boys, not sure if they are the same price now but I don't think they would have gone up too much.

With the pumping before feeding, it's strictly to get through the let down. Never pump more than you need, and edealso a cold compress on your breast can help slow down or discourage the milk. (Just the same as a nice warm one can encourage it if you're having trouble that way). I used to keep a frozen facewasher in a ziplock bag in the freezer to hold on my breast during let down.
    Good idea about cold compress during letdown. I will try that next feed..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess it depends on how tall you are and the size of your breasts. I place the baby's head on my stretched out arm and we lie facing each other.

It's a bit like this photo that I got onlineImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1395178217.977130.jpg