+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the advice everyone. I've been using the shield for 2 days now, it was great to start with, she was managing ok (poops even went back to yellow but its like my milk adjusts, i dont know how to explain but steadily she's choking again and were back to green its like when i start doing something (reclining, regular feeds, not letting her feed during let down, shield) it makes a difference then after a day or so its like my milk gets even faster and she's having trouble again despite the fact that im not doing all of the above every feed. its SO frustrating! she's not eating much now, i've been sore (due to fullness) after every feed she's had since yesterday afternoon.
    I was feeding her last night and the poor little thing was just pulling off and screaming like she wants it but can't her little face was so upset, broke my heart. I've noticed she's getting really sweaty on her forehead when she feeds too she's so tensed up.
    Argh! i'm so frustrated right now! i just want my poor girl to be happy and have a full belly

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    When I was bf'ing my twins, I had the same problem of an oversupply and fast flow. I couldn't just change sides, because I was twin feeding and had one on each side at the same time- this just encouraged my body to keep producing crazy amounts of milk and so it was the babies, and not my body that had to adjust.
    My LC told me to start feeding, and as soon as they started gasping or choking, pull them off, sit them up and burp them. They may cry, but it's better than the alternative. After 30 seconds or a minute or so, attach again. More gasping/choking, pull them off, sit them up, burp them. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I promise you- it seems really hard and a lot of hassle right now, but if you can stick it out, your LO will grow big enough to be able to handle the fast flow all on her own and you won't feel so stressed any more.

My plan of action would be pump right before a feed to try and get away the bulk of the milk (and hopefully get to the hindmilk faster), and then follow the regime above. Not only will you be able to offer EBM every couple of days or so, but you will continue to regulate your supply.

I PROMISE you, things will settle down and you will be able to relax some more. Focus your efforts right now on getting this all right. Also, a cold pack on your breasts can help slow the supply too. (You can wet a facewasher and put it in a ziplock bag in the freezer if you have nothing else.)

If you are stil doubtful, call the ABA, and they may have some alternate advice and/or support for you too. (I think it's 1800 MUM 2 MUM)

to you- you are doing a wonderful job to persevere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Nomsie, I appreciate your supportive words =) life feels like a haze of screaming and anxiety atm but i know if we can just stick it out it'll get better eventually. I'll try what you did with pumping at the start of a feed, might get me a bit further through the fast milk than hand expressing as i have been. will also try taking her off and popping her back on as often as needed.
    Thank you again, my fiancé is great and supports whatever i want to do but as ds (19 months) was ff from 4 weeks (due to repeated mastitis and the nerve damage) and he is perfectly healthy my fiancé is just as happy to ff and reminds me it may be easier than all of this. I remember the disappointment i always felt about giving up with ds and don't want that again.
    All of your support really helps =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gosh I can feel your tension and anxiousness from your post
    I hope you and bub find your breast feeding groove so to speak and things click into place for you I think you are doing an amazing job, what a wonderful mumma you are

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Wishingmum: how did expressing before feeds work for you?

I've got an oversupply/super fast letdown/flow and as a result my 3 week old DS is spewing heaps and is hard to settle sometimes. It's been suggested that I feed reclining but I am having difficulty getting a pain free latch laying down etc (and after the difficulties experienced in week 1 I want to stay pain free!). I am trying to fully drain one breast before switching to the other but it's hard.... I can do 2 feeds in a row on one boob (3 hours apart) and it's still full of milk....The MACH nurse suggested expressing before every feed but that sounds like a lot of work to me (sterilising equipment etc). And I'm worried that it would make the problem worse by increasing my milk supply.

Apologies for butting in on your thread ... Just hoping to learn from your/other's experiences!
    Last edited by VicPark; 18-03-2014 at 19:55.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Vp you could just pump and dump- no need to worry about sterilising? Otherwise Phillips make a really good microwave steriliser that I used and it was all done in a couple of minutes- easy peasy.

Do you have an oversupply or fast flow or both?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I haven't read all the replies yet but will since I have this problem on my right side! He's not gassy from it but chokes and pulls off. I've found this link which has lots of good advice:

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

So far I hand express just into a towel before (and sometimes after) I latch him on because it often comes pouring out, that seems to help so I definitely recommend trying that. I'm too scared to properly express just before because I'm fairly certain that pumping that breast for a couple days in the beginning when I had a lot of pain is what's caused this oversupply. I may give the shield a go as well as that makes sense.

Going to go read the rest of the replies, hope you get it sorted soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    With my prem DS2, I had an enormous supply and fast let down which he just couldn't deal with. I used to block feed but I'd first hand express just to get the let down and then let it spray into a terry cloth nappy. Once the initial "burst" was gone I'd pop him on. Eventually it all settled down.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS is also spewing a lot but he just doesn't seem bothered by it. I do do what nomsie suggested where I just constantly pick him up and burp him if I can tell he's having a hard time or he pulls off. My milk continues to pour out and eventually it's slowed enough for him.

He actually more often then not tries to stay on and cope with it but by doing that he changes his latch and makes a clicking sound (so his mouth isn't properly sealed around my breast) and sometimes milk just leaks out!

I can't feel my let down so don't know when that's happening to take him off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    VP, my LC told me you only have to sterilize breastfeeding stuff once every 24 hours if that helps. But have a look at that link I posted, she says to use pumping as a last resort after trying everything else since oversupply is a risk.