+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default fast flow.. help please

Hi. Im needing some advice and support I have a 4 week old dd and so far she's been breastfed. Shes had terrible wind and pains pretty much since my milk came in and its only getting worse. She gags and gulps and chokes at the breast then pulls off and cries after only a few minutes but keeps wanting more milk so shes obviously still hungry. She has frothy green poos so not getting enough hind milk. I thought it was just my letdown so I recline and hand express past letdown. .. still no change. I then thought oversupply as she was fussy all feed but I started pumping a day ago and theres not heaps of milk its just coming out WAY too fast.
    I feel terrible and I don't know what to do. Due to damage to my left breasts nerves im only feeding on my right side (since birth) and the lactation consultants dont have many suggestions. When I pumped yesterday she was a different baby... slept well and was calm. I realised that I didnt remember the last time she was awake and happy I know I cant handle exclusively pumping with 2 under 2 and only having 1 arm I just cant afford more of my day without a spare hand.
    I feel like im failing her if I give up and move to formula but my poor girl is in so much pain she even gets cold sweats. Im sorry for the long post im just confused and its breaking my heart feeling like its formula or torturing her with my milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this problem on one side and used a nipple shield until DS was about 9 weeks and he seemed to be able to handle the fast flow... The shield would fill with milk but he could take in small mouthfuls.
    I am sure others on here will have plenty of great advice for you. Hang in there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you hand express first? This used to happen to me too

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I agree re shield. As bub gets older they will learn to cope with the flow (my dd is nearly 13 weeks and for the past month or do has managed better with my flow)

Try some infacol before the feed too, to help bring up some wind and relieve tummy pain.

Also what about posture feeding- layering down on your back and having bubs sort of in top- it negates gravity which may be a big help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a strong flow as well, and DS had symptoms like your bub. I changed feeding positions as well - I would sit him on my lap, with him straddling my thigh and facing me in an upright position. I found that worked really well for him. I hope you find a solution, good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice =) were currently giving her infants friend which helped a little and I try to feed her lying down or with her on top of me as much as possible. Haven't tried a nipple shield though will try next feed. So she will get used to it eventually? We just need to ride it out? When did you notice things settle down?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    The older they get, the more they are able to cope with the fast flow. Dd was 9 or 10 weeks when I really noticed the change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id just hand express a little (not enough to tell your breasts to produce more milk) before a feed just to take the pressure off. That our feed a bit more frequently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another advocate for the shield. I used one for the first 6 or 7 weeks with DD because she couldn't handle the flow. After that we slowly weaned off it .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had the same problems...despite all the suggestions of laying down to feed, block feeding (which of course wouldn't help for you anyway) etc. the only things that I found helped were:

-feeding with her somewhat upright - so me sitting up, holding DD in a fairly upright position across my body rather than laying almost horizontal, and keeping pressure on her back so that her spine was quite straight. It took me a while to figure this out, and I don't know whether it would have worked in the first few weeks, but this made it SO much easier for her to bring up air.

-not letting her feed during a letdown... I'd either get to that point first, or take her off then put her back on.

-offering small feeds regularly. So rather than the idea of having one big feed every few hours - which so many people seem to push - she was a lot better if she had a little top up more regularly.

Other than that...unfortunately we just had to wait. I think it was around 4 months that things started to improve with my daughter, and then there was a huge change at around 6 months when she started solids.