+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dogs and expecting

I have 2 boxers that are inside when when we are home and also sleep in our room on the floor, they are big sooks and are very important to both me and my husband so I am not to sure what to do when bub comes along, I can't imagine putting them outside to sleep.
    Anyone else in the same situation and what did/are you doing ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our golden retriever doesn't sleep in our room, but is definitely an indoor dog. I was so surprised that when I was pregnant people asked us if we were getting rid of our dog?!?!? So bizarre.

Anyway, I certainly don't think you need to make your dogs outdoor dogs. Are they well behaved? Know not to jump up on furniture? Go to a mat/safe place when asked? I don't actually think it's an issue having the sleep on the floor in your room when you have the baby, but if you are worried about it then maybe you could put their beds in another part of the house? That way they still feel like part of the family and are safe and warm but they are out of the way during the night? During the day are they happy to go outside for periods of time? Or could you put some baby gates up to give you somewhere safe for the baby to lie on the floor? Even a playpen might work?

Honestly it never crossed my mind to make our dog move outdoors - it's certainly worked fine having her inside most of the time.

ETA: The dog was great company when our little ones were newborns - particularly when feeding during the night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dog is our first child, sleeps in our bed most nights. Nothing has changed since dd came!!!

The main issue is bed sharing, which is obviously a no no with a baby and pets. Cosleeping never worked with dd anyway, so the dog was allowed back. (We had kicked her out into the lounge)

The dog was quite weary of dd, but after a few days she started to become more accepting. In the early days we made sure if the baby was in a place that the dog had access to that we supervised her, but after a week or to it became apparent that the dog was coping really well and it wasn't an issue. She's a tiny bit jealous, but now they share toys and food lol.

Boxes are very gentle, and a great family breed in general. Also, because there are two, they are less likely to be jealous or put out. As they have short hair there is less of them for babies to grab! When your bubs is older they'll be the best of friends

Edit: I agree with the above post! And such a great companion during the night when I was up with dd
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 04-11-2013 at 19:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a 13 year old lab x who knows nothing other than inside outside at her leisure. Shares bed with dh and myself (or chooses to vacate and sleep on her bed in lounge room). Dh works away so then she's completely my guard and companion .... even uses dh's pillow!
    Dd1 due New Years and over the last 7 months shes gone from chewy pull play toys outside to also now having 3 little squeeky teddies introduced every few months which she knows are for gentle only and cuddles on her bed and is so gentle with them. Also proudly take them too us.. very cute! (Yes I love my dog) ( this is so she will leave bubs toys alone and has her oen)

She's always been good with visiting kids and is the sort of dog that will put her head on a visitors lap. Shes a big sooky baby.
    But you hear so many things ...we will supervise 100% of time and once bub is ready for tummy time, bub will go in playpen if im out of the room. I won't take any risks while bub is little.
    My fear is the dog giving her a gentle cuddle meaning no harm..which would be laying ontop of bub(squashing or suffocating her) and it scares the beegees out of me.

Dog will continue to sleep on my bed a nd bub in bassinet beside us. Our dog is an important part of our pack and we'll take the time to make it work safety.
    Last edited by Sunshinebell; 04-11-2013 at 21:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our dog wakes us up, early! Tail wagging hitting furniture and sometimes jumps on the bed. It's possible that it will be moved outside to sleep if it starts to wake baby up too. But only for the time when baby sleeps in our room, then hopefully back to normal. No need for us to make any other changes, very stable dog that we can trust.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have two bullmastiffs that are inside when we're home and sleep in our room every night. DH and I have talked about what will happen when the baby comes, but we've decided not to change anything. They were our first children and I don't want them being resentful of the baby. We'll just keep them constantly supervised if they're around the baby and see how it goes. I just couldn't bear to put them outside. It would be so cruel ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our dogs used to sleep with us every night. They had a bed of their own but would usually sneak up on our bed and snuggle in during the night. Since falling pregnant though we have been transitioning them to sleep in the laundry.

They have plenty of comfy bedding and we have a baby gate on the doorway so they are secure but don't feel too locked up and don't scratch the back of the door. We occasionally have them in our bedroom, particularly on weekends, but they seem to be adjusting quite happily to their new sleeping arrangements

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone i think we will keep doing what we are doing they are well behaved, and if it doesn't work when bub comes along we will change it then. But will never send them outside to sleep

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonbon21 For This Useful Post:

Sunshinebell  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our dog sleeps with dh in the spare room while ds and I bedshare
    I think your dogs will be fine on their beds.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got our dogs cos "we couldn't have kids..." So they were super spoilt!!! A year later and I've bought bubs home... At first they were scared of his cries, but the second I put him in his cot to sleep, the girls were in there with their noses thru the cot. He is now 3, & they would take him over us any day. We have always been there if they are together, but our little boy has never been cotton wooled around them. Sometimes I would have to tell him to stop biting the dogs... Lol. Needless to say, he has an amazing immune system, and 2 best friends who think the world of him!!! A lot of ppl told us they would have to be outside dogs, but they would've taken it the wrong way... Just keep an eye on them. All will be fine.