+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Using me as a 'dummy'

My 11 week old doesn't have a dummy, won't take one and i would rather avoid it anyway due to DS still wanting his at 3yo! But she is currently BF a lot to get to sleep and stay asleep. She's waking every one to two hours. She is comfort sucking and seems to need this each time she wakes.

What are peoples opinions on allowing bub to comfort suck? Boobs are the original dummy after all, but its obviously draining for me and i worry i am setting up bad habits.

Any thoughts and if you think it's not a good idea, ways to stop given she won't take a dummy? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can set up bad habits at such a young age, don't worry.

Comfort sucking is completely normal. Breastfeeding is about more than nutrition, it's about comfort too. At her age I wouldn't worry about it at all to be honest. My DD2 is 13 months old and while she like to bf to sleep, she only comfort feeds now when she is ill or overstimulated.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 13 week old DS was the same and it was starting to get me down so we went to our MCHN sleep cottage to try and learn how to get him to self settle.
    He hadn't taken a dummy before then but the nurse suggested trying the old school cherry shaped ones and he really took to them. I had hoped to avoid dummies but was at the end of my rope and they have really helped free the norgs up.
    But if comfort sucking is working for you both don't feel guilty about it, like you said, the boob is the original dummy.
    Pinky McKay has some very encouraging and supportive things to say about it on her website.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calicocat For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (04-11-2013),MrsHoward  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From the kellymom website

My baby sometimes nurses for comfort, when he’s obviously not hungry.

Is this a problem?

Comfort nursing is normal. If baby were not comfort nursing he would need to be sucking on his hands or on a pacifier. The breast was the first pacifier and the one that all others are modeled after, so don’t be afraid to allow baby to use it in this way. There are studies that show that comfort nursing is healthy for your child, too. All babies need to suck – some more than others. It ensures that they survive. If your baby seems to be comfort nursing *all the time* and this is more than you can handle, keep in mind that this will probably ease some as time goes by. In the meantime, you may find that carrying baby in a sling or a carrier on your body will lessen his need to comfort nurse so much. He may just need to be close to you at times and seeks out nursing as a way to do that.

Comfort nursing serves a purpose, too. Studies seem to indicate that this type of sucking overall decreases a baby’s heart rate and lets him relax. It seems to have a very positive effect on his whole physical and emotional well-being. Don’t be afraid to allow this type of nursing. Breastfeeding is more than just imparting fluids and nourishment. It’s a way to nurture your child as well.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (04-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some really helpful comments and information from you all. Thank you. I feel better about it now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-11-2013)