+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Costco, is it worth it?

We live about 15mins from Costco and I have only ever shopped there once. Now I have bub #2 on the way I was thinking of stocking up on nappies, wipes, cleaning products. I just can't justify the $60 annual fee. Is it worth it? Do you really save that much? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've only been there once as well so can't help regarding whether it's worth it, but I'm pretty sure they have a refund policy on the membership so if you buy it, do your shop and decide it's not worth it, you can get a refund. You should double check that but I'm pretty sure that's what they do :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

moosey  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went the first time with a friend to check out the prices of things I'd normally buy at the supermarket and then compare the two. I found that in every case Costco had prices that were much cheaper, often by over half the price. I had a cute little spreadsheet and everything.

But Costco also has a fairly limited selection and it's not always consistent. They also provide most of their stock in bulk, which I find excellent for things like laundry powder, dishwashing detergent and enormous jars of Nutella. (Seriously, they're huge.) I've found cleaning products at Costco are consistently cheaper than what you'd find at the shops.

Their own homebrand (Kirkland, I think) is decently priced, except perhaps for the meat which can get quite pricey.

Personally, DF and I split the costs with my parents. We get their shopping list and buy everything in one go - we're the actual members so only we can pay the bill. I've found that we save heaps, particularly since we do stock up a couple of things: on non-perishable goods that'll definitely get used (paper towels, laundry powder, dish washing detergent, nappies) and foods packed in bulk that keep a long time (bulk boxes of raisins, corn cakes, tomato paste, tins of tuna). One big shop that lasts us at least 3 months and the savings do add up when we're doing our weekly grocery shop.

Oh, and you can pick up a toilet, a giant cubby house, $34,000 jewellery AND and eye test while you're stocking up on giant boxes of sanitary pads. What's not to love?
    Last edited by snowqu33n; 04-11-2013 at 14:49.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snowqu33n For This Useful Post:

JR03  (04-11-2013),moosey  (04-11-2013),Zombie_eyes  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm a recent Costco addict! I've been maybe 3-4 times and really like it - it's great for parties and they have great Xmas / Halloween decorations and toys , You never really know what they will have - I've bought heaps of household things like toilet paper/dish washing stuff which will last ages! I easily have saved the $55 ( we have a business account) - I usually go with my SIL/sister and we go halves in a few big things plus I bought a kitchen aid blender that was $200 cheaper then myer

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loooooooove me some Costco. Seriously. I have a problem.
    When we first arrived here in July and found out there was a Costco we went and did a massive (seriously huge) shop. We bought toilet paper, washing powder, comfort, spray and wipe etc, glad sandwich bags, paper towel. all that sort of stuff - mouthwash, shampoo etc. I think it's fabulous and that I've easily saved back my membership in that one HUGE shop alone. We're still using it all! I don't think I'll run out of toilet paper before Christmas!

As far as meat, we buy the massive trays of mince and split it up to freeze, and the chicken breasts and that's about it.
    Eggs are very cheap. Milk, particularly the A2 is also very cheap. We bought a large tub of the ainsley harriott cous cous for about $10-12 which were still using. Some fruit and veg are great value, I love that I can buy a huge bag of brocolini for $4.99 Great value when I compare it to the small bunches I used to buy at Coles for $3.99
    There have been things I have put back thinking they were far too over priced - apples, the ready made meals very over priced - ie the curries, fried rice etc and some cuts of meat.
    We buy the trays of croissants (can't remember how many, but over a dozen) bags of bagels and a tray of muffins (12) and freeze them. Then come the weekend we have croissants for breakfast, of DH will take a muffin or bagel to work with his lunch. This lasts us forever.
    You need to keep in mind that a Costco shop gets to $100 plus before you even blink. It's insane, but in my opinion - totally worth it for the things we buy. On a whole it's fabulous if you keep track of what you spend, and have a good idea of what you would pay for a similar item at Coles or woollies, because as I said before there are SOME things that are very overpriced.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #Mama For This Useful Post:

moosey  (04-11-2013),snowqu33n  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wikidwitch View Post

Oh, and you can pick up a toilet, a giant cubby house, $34,000 jewellery AND and eye test while you're stocking up on giant boxes of sanitary pads. What's not to love?
    Don't forget - you can also drop your car in for new tyres to be fitted and balanced, ready to drive away when you've done your groceries and had lunch - hot dog and soda for $2.49 on the way out! Ha ha!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to #Mama For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had a membership for a year but let it lapse as we didn't feel it was worth renewing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

moosey  (04-11-2013)

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't wait til it comes to brisbane! I hope it gets here before baby!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We checked out the prices when
    We were in Melbourne just to see.
    We normally only buy products from the Woolies when they are on sale ( then buy in bulk). I found whilst comparing on day to day prices it was cheaper, as we only buy sale items being a member wouldn't be beneficial to us. ( as woollies sale had better price)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

moosey  (04-11-2013)