+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You'll probably find she'll just find her own groove with her name anyway.

I'm a teacher and often have kids with the same name - some get called Name then initial, some get shortened and some get their entire first name and last name.

I once had a child who asked us to call her by her shortened nickname (I always asked the kids what their preferred name is - even kids without the same name like their names to be shortened). That's generally what we go by. This girl's mum got upset and told her we had to call her by her full name (which was fine) except the girl herself really didn't want it. It was tricky. But we worked it out. I felt sorry for the poor little girl - her name was quite long and she looked so disappointed when her mum forced the issue.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son is known by his first initial and middle initial (JJ). He was known by his first name until last year when there was another child in his class with the same name and he became "First name + Last name initial". On the way to school one day he said "Can you please tell the teacher to call me JJ instead?" so I did and she did and everyone does. Now (a year later) nobody calls him by anything other than JJ.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Neither of our boys had common names at the times they were born, there is no one in the school with the same names but both names are in the top 10 this year.
    Neither of their names can be shortened either which was important to us when choosing their names but a carer at ds's daycare was calling ds something else in which I quickly pointed out that it was not acceptable and to please call him by his real name, have had no issues since.

I think it is so very rude for school teachers to not call a child by their real first name. Ds1 has 2 Lucas's in his class and they are known by Lucas R and Lucas N which I think is reasonable.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 04-11-2013 at 13:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We gave our kids longer names so they could be shortened if THEY wanted to. DD1 is in 4th grade and this is the first year she has allowed friends to shorten her name. Even in preschool she would correct a teacher if they shortened it. So I think that kids will make their own decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you absolutely have the right to insist on what the teachers refer to her by.

But I also think most kids end up with nicknames made up by their friends eventually anyway! No way that can be influenced.

A friend had a boy Samuel, insisted that everyone call him Samuel. They were adamant it was not to be shortened to Sam, but his mates had other ideas. Sure enough 6 years down the track, even they refer to him as Sam now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our eldest has a name that can be shortened- and also is one of those names like Richard but gets called D**k. From the day he was born we squished anyone trying to use the nickname for his name! He has other ways in can be shortened and we sometimes do. It's up to him what the wants to be called, he will correct people if he doesn't like it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Another thing to consider is that whilst it irritates us as parents when there are other kids in the class with the same name, kids usually love it. My DS1's name is extremely popular and he has another kid in his class with the same first and middle name! He loves being referred to as his first name + his last initial. He said he is special cos no one else in the class does besides him and this other little boy.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a teacher, I say the name listed on the roll. Students are very quick to say if they prefer something else. Then I will use that. But any communication with parents-phones calls, reports, etc I use the name on the roll. Once the parent uses the shortened name in conversation then I will switch over to that name. I have more important things to do than worry about if I am going to offend a parent by using a shortened version of their kids name.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jellybub For This Useful Post:

Jellyfishie  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 2 with popular names.

My daughter has her name, the general short version, mine & her dads shortened version ( that sounds odd to others ) then her short version plus girl on the end ie Abby girl.

She's fine with whatever & answers to all.

My sons name can be shortened & I dislike the shortened version. He doesn't suit it. We have never called him by it & he hates others trying to. He has a family nickname but only we call him by it.

My DSD has a hard to spell & pronounce name, no one ever gets it right & she gets annoyed by it. She would benefit from a shortened version of it but I think her mum is very against it. I 110% respect her wishes & much to hubby's disgust correct anyone who tries to shorten it. I just think your child's name has such significance to a mum & people should respect your wishes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    I think you absolutely have the right to insist on what the teachers refer to her by.

But I also think most kids end up with nicknames made up by their friends eventually anyway! No way that can be influenced.

A friend had a boy Samuel, insisted that everyone call him Samuel. They were adamant it was not to be shortened to Sam, but his mates had other ideas. Sure enough 6 years down the track, even they refer to him as Sam now!
    Lol - my hubby is a Samuel - similar situation but now everyone calls him Sam except his mother! Always Samuel. She got a little upset at our wedding during the vows I called him Sam but that's how I know him!