+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Does your child have a popular name? Have you insisted on your child being called...

My DD2 has a very very common first name (in fact, as much as I love the name, I am starting to regret it, it is literally heard everywhere we go. Something I didn't realise when we chose her name).

She is starting kinder next year and I believe there are at least 2 other children who will be in her class with the same name and they usually call the child by their first name and last initial.

I don't want my DD to be known by her first name and last initial, but instead I want her to be know by her first and middle names. Eg: instead of being called Bella K, I would rather that they called her Bella Kate (not her real name, but her middle name and last name do start with the same letter).

Do you think I could "insist" in the nicest possible way on this? Would it be worth writing on her kinder forms that she is known as Bella Kate so they call her that right from the start? Or do I just suck it up and have her stuck with being called Bella K for her entire schooling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You should have on the enrolment form a place for 'preferred name' so what you would rather them call your daughter. So for my son, he has a long name but I put his shortened name down because that's what he gets called most of the time... Unless he is in trouble then its his full name haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    You sure can you can write her 'preferred name' which is what will go on all her school paper work.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Like the other poster have said there is a option for preferred name, although doesn't always work dd1 name is hyphenated i wrote on the forms just the first bit but everyone at school calls her by her whole name

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can absolutely insist that your child be called by the name you prefer. I'm an ex teacher and over the years I have taught children whose parents were adamant that they be called a particular name. I had no problem with that and made sure the other children in the class knew. Your child, your rules. I have purposely chosen names for my children that can't be shortened because I really dislike shortened names, but I have had to constantly correct people on how my daughter's name is pronounced. Just be polite and most of all, stick to your guns and keep gently, but firmly reminding staff and children if you need to. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My name is very popular being an 80s baby, I was always in a class with at least 1 other girl with the same name all through kinder, primary & secondary school. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. My son also has a common name. It turns out it was in the top 10 of his birth year. Don't let it bother you because it's a common name, think that other mums have good taste & chose a lovely name

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does she refer to her herself as that? It'll be what her friends come up with more the what's on the forms. DD has three Isabellas in her class. One is called Izzy an always has been and the others are referred to by their full names or hair color.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    You CAN, but that doesn't mean it's what others will call her.

My SIL (11) has a hyphenated first name. So as an example, say her name was Emma-Kate. On anything official, school work etc. it has "Emma-Kate", but EVERYONE calls her Emma. I don't think her mum's too impressed, but it's what has stuck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has a hyphenated first name. When she went to daycare she was called the full name. Now at school she's just known by the first part, but even now when we go back to daycare to drop off/pick up DS they still call her by her full name. I had the option when she started kindy and started learning to recognize and spell her name, I went with the first part only and it stuck. Though I do think the kids know her full name as she's now learnt to write her first and surname. She doesn't like being called the full name and I only use it usually if she's not listening or been naughty too 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've found that "preferred name" on school enrollments means nothing. You'll have to actually speak to the teachers and communicate your wishes that way.