+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Man fined for smoking electronic cigarette - fair or unfair?

Do you think a smoking fine should be enforced for someone smoking an electronic cigarette in a no smoking area?

I personally support the use of such devices as an aid for quitting smoking, and do not think a fine is fair - after all, no smoke comes out of these things.

My question is prompted by the article below, which I heard about on the radio this morning:

A RETIRED builder has ­become possibly the first Australian to be fined for allegedly smoking an electric cigarette in a public place.
    Lifelong smoker Anthony Campo caught the attention of police when he pulled out the e-cigarette while waiting for a train at Gosford station.

The 67-year-old didn't claim that he wasn't actually smoking, because he said the female officer initially told him she was only going to give him a warning.

Instead,  she issued him with  a  $300 fine in the mail for  smoking  "in or on (a) public passenger vehicle, train, public place''.

Mr Campo took the matter to Gosford Local Court on Friday where he intended to plead guilty, but hoped to avoid the fine.

However, when magistrate Alan Railton, who described the case as "a first for me", said he had to enforce the fine, Mr Campo changed his plea to not guilty.

Producing a zip-lock bag containing the ciggy and a small charger, Mr Campo told the magistrate "it was only an electronic cigarette''. Amid chuckles from the galler, the bemused magistrate said, "That's a good one.''

The prosecutor said irrespective of whether it was an e-cig the regulations defined the offence as including "any tobacco or any other product intended to be smoked".

Mr Railton said there was nothing the court could do but enforce the fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought the no smoking law didnt apply to ecigs?? It's only vapor that comes out of them. Even the hospitals have them to give to smoking patients. They have the nicorette stuff in them and they're allowed to be used in the hospital.

Back in my day, ABC played Alice Cooper on the kids cartoons and our cartoons could talk. Being a kid sucks now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Doesn't it still contain tobacco and it produces smoke so would still be subjecting people near you to harmful smoke? In wish case I agree with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have one and you still blow smoke out after you inhale.
    It's just straight nicotine though.
    There isn't an odour.
    Last edited by Lauzy; 04-11-2013 at 11:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Doesn't it still contain tobacco and it produces smoke so would still be subjecting people near you to harmful smoke? In wish case I agree with it.
    It produces no smoke, just vapour. There is no harm to anyone around the person and it admits no fumes or anything, it's essentially just water vapour. I'm a non smoker and hate it with a passion but my mum and step dad have these electronic cigarettes and I have no problem sitting next to them when they have them and feel totally safe and comfortable. They are fantastic!
    Last edited by RipperRita; 04-11-2013 at 11:20.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (23-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My stepmum accidently puffed her vapor my way yesterday, absolutely no smell at all. I personally hate smoking but seeing her and my brother use these instead makes me very happy. Brilliany product to get them off the poison sticks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm sounds like another way to make smokers feel alienated and ashamed. Which has pros and cons in itself

Addit: in response to the OP and the fairness of the fine that is

Thanks
    Reviews
    The man in the article let the officer assume that it was a real cigarette, he failed to point out that it was electronic. So he wasn't actually fined for using an e-cigarette.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (23-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not tobacco and it's not smoke. I don't see how you can be fined for this?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (23-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    The man in the article let the officer assume that it was a real cigarette, he failed to point out that it was electronic. So he wasn't actually fined for using an e-cigarette.
    This is true, but the fine still stands which I don't agree with:

The prosecutor said irrespective of whether it was an e-cig the regulations defined the offence as including "any tobacco or any other product intended to be smoked".

There is no smoke!