+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Shani this is what my list looks like.... Except I have all these damn hats ( summer and winter because I'm bad at waiting) haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    Oh yeah, we just had a simple Kmart swing and it was great as we only used it for a short time but it was great while we did. For us both would have been a waste
    I got a childcare pooh swing. It's pretty cute. I never knew how big swings are. Luckily we don't use our lounge room so it doesn't matter it can go in there haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes mine would just want to lay in bouncer, I just found them both handy, plus a bouncer is good to take from room to room with you, for example when having a shower, or take outside while you hang the washing

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseBetweenTheThorns For This Useful Post:

Craftymamabris  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseBetweenTheThorns View Post
    Sometimes mine would just want to lay in bouncer, I just found them both handy, plus a bouncer is good to take from room to room with you, for example when having a shower, or take outside while you hang the washing
    See! These are things that I wouldn't have thought of. At least then I'd be able to wash my hair . Yay for life tips haha

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craftymamabris For This Useful Post:

LadyInWeighting  (05-11-2013),RoseBetweenTheThorns  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseBetweenTheThorns View Post
    My swing wasn't that big so that's what I used to do with it plus it was good for sleeps sometimes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Craftymamabris  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used a little swing first time around and did used to take that out with us, but still had a bouncer too. It doesn't sound like it makes sense to have both lol. But i got a bigger swing second time and loved it so much more, and yes they love to sleep in them

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseBetweenTheThorns For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    The other thing you could do is set aside some money each pay so you have the money there when you're ready to shop. What if you ended up with twins or triplets? It would be more of a hassle to have to take things back and swap if that were the case. You then won't have loads of stuff sitting around the house while you TTC. Plus if you put it in a high interest account you could be earning on the money you're saving until you're ready to buy!
    I agree with this.

I'm 23wks with my first, so I'm here to get ideas for myself also. I find I have to reign myself in and not buy yet (look only ) until I see what gifts I get and until after the birth when I know if I'll be needing anything more. I'll be getting the essentials during the stocktake sales in Dec/Jan (the benefits of planning ahead), so hope to save a bit that way.

It's just so exciting planning and buying for baby, but I'd advise you just make a list for now and save the money until you know for sure what you will be needing and when you will be needing them, rather than having all these baby things lying around in storage for an uncertain time. You may even change your mind about some of those things in that time, and by then, it would prob be too late to exchange or return.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got a lot of our baby items for DS during the sales so saved quite a bit that way. Using layby was also a good thing as we got it for a good price, it was stored for us for awhile and the return period started from the pick up date.

I was really overwhelmed by the lists the baby shops gave out and remember thinking I can't possibly need all that, we'll go bankrupt! (slight exaggeration there but we would have been in the financial poop).

The main things we used:

* Bassinet - Great to move between rooms - DS was born in the middle of summer so I moved his bassinet into the lounge during the day so he was in the air con.
    * Cot
    * Pram - Light weight, forward/rearward facing & had a bassinet.
    * Change table - Back saver! I'm 6ft with a back injury.
    * Lots of All in Ones / Body suits.
    * Nappies - we used disposables but had a packet of old fashioned cloth ones that we used as spew cloths.
    * Rocker (instead of a bouncer) - great to move into the bathroom to have a shower so DS could always see me. However I will be replacing this with a bouncer for this bub (it's been damaged when we moved).
    * Cradle swing - Sanity saver! DS had bad colic and this was the only thing that would calm him &/or get him to sleep if it was playing up. Once the colic cleared up he loved playing in it.
    * Monitor - more for my peace of mind than anything else.

The other thing that you should take into account is the warranty of products starts from the date of purchase so if you're putting things away really early this may turn out to be a problem. We had a manufacturing problem with our change table which had only been used for 7 months but because it was purchased 6 months before we had DS they didn't have to replace it. Thankfully the manufacturer was nicer than the baby shop & did replace the faulty top free of charge as a gesture of goodwill. The baby shop pretty much told us tough tittie!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babybump08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    I agree with this.

I'm 23wks with my first, so I'm here to get ideas for myself also. I find I have to reign myself in and not buy yet (look only ) until I see what gifts I get and until after the birth when I know if I'll be needing anything more. I'll be getting the essentials during the stocktake sales in Dec/Jan (the benefits of planning ahead), so hope to save a bit that way.

It's just so exciting planning and buying for baby, but I'd advise you just make a list for now and save the money until you know for sure what you will be needing and when you will be needing them, rather than having all these baby things lying around in storage for an uncertain time. You may even change your mind about some of those things in that time, and by then, it would prob be too late to exchange or return.
    I totally agree too.
    I'm currently 16weeks with our first and dammit it is hard. We had been planning on when we were going to start a family before we got engaged so I've been waiting for a long time lol
    Had to reign my mother in too she's getting all excited and as you said I want to wait to see what shower gifts I get.
    My advice tho as for the planning write a list of what you need then maybe a list of wants and google baby stores and websites and look at different prices you will be surprised at how much they vary. Go window shopping too try stuff out.
    Secondhand is also good too I got my pram for less then half price from ebay and it looks brand new still but I knew exactly what one I wanted even before I was pregnant.
    I don't want to sound like the downer here but it may also take you longer to get pregnant then you originally planned so having lots of baby things sitting around could make you sad and they just take up room and can become outdated. You may also change your mind closer to the birth on what you actually want.

Depends on your lifestyle too some people don't buy baths just wash baby in the sink or take them in the shower when they are a bit older. If you travel lots then maybe investing in a good porta cot with bassinet attachment which can be used in your room for the first few months saving on the need to buy an actual bassinet.

Talk to friends who have kids they will have first hand advice and trust me 9months is a very long time when waiting for something so exciting lol. So I agree save the money for now buy later on. Also if you're going private there are alot of expenses that need to be paid in the first half of pregnancy so would be handy to have the money saved up for them too if needed.

Good luck it's so exciting

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Loulou789 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have thought about my tastes changing that's why I've got some clothes in a few sizes so no matter what time of the year he or she would be born I don't have to worry about clothes or socks or hats etc. As for towels - meh! I'm not fussed I just got target ( and one good hooded one) and one good cot set and best and less sheets ( so 4 fitted sheets in total) though I only got one set as I've been told to only use a fitted sheet early on. The swing and play mat I got are fairly basic the swing is second hand but the mat is new so I've picked up pieces I will use ( angelcare monitor the newest one) and a boon baby bath so it folds away ( and has a plug so I won't have to lift heavy stuff) and a room thermometer well that's for my own paranoia lol I would hate to think as a new mum I wouldn't know if bub is hot or cold so I won't buy a pram or car seat or mattress or anything until pregnant because especially for a car seat I want the newest technology. I'm just an over planner though and buy these things for fun too so I've cut down on what I get for me ( bye bye Chanel perfume!)