+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The other thing you could do is set aside some money each pay so you have the money there when you're ready to shop. What if you ended up with twins or triplets? It would be more of a hassle to have to take things back and swap if that were the case. You then won't have loads of stuff sitting around the house while you TTC. Plus if you put it in a high interest account you could be earning on the money you're saving until you're ready to buy!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Craftymamabris  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My personal list. It seriously depends on your life style though.... this is what I've kept, or plan to buy again, with number two. (Also, I've moved like 7 times in 4 years. So this is what I'd consider an essential... like if I was to go through all those move again, with DD.)

A baby carrier. Baby junk has come, and baby junk has gone, but the ergo is one thing I'm passing down to future number two. After six months it became amazing. Before that I tried a sling- never really mastered it- and a baby bjorn, which was great. I got the synergy.

Big W's back pack baby bag. Ok, it's not attractive. It's a black back pack. It's about as exciting as dirt. BUUUUT I've tried designer bags and fancy bags, and this one is still hanging around. (Actually I lie. I gave it to a friend when DD toilet trained.) It's only like $40 and I'm not even sure if they make it any more. But it was so practical. So perfect, even if it was boring and dull.

Don't get a pram. Not a new one, anyway. Most people find that they are too big and bulky. Also, you have no idea what your life will really be like with a baby. Maybe you really will be one of those mums who jog. Or maybe you'll mostly walk to the shopping centers to get your shopping (in that case, something with lots of storage.) Maybe you'll need one that folds up easy. Maybe you'll find you're getting a lot more public transport- you're trying to save money, so you'll be getting the bus and or train everywhere. So you'll need something you can lift up easily, and lift down easily, something not too big and bulky...
    Currently we have the valco snap for my three year old, and I love it. It's small enough to fit in small cars, big enough for my three year old, light enough for me to carry up train station stairs with my three year old in it and easy enough to get on and off public transport. It can also handle bad pavements.
    Some people really like strollers they could convert to carry a.... ah what's it called? car capsule? IT'S BEEN SO LONG! but I've never really liked them. I hired a capsule for the first six months it was great, but SO HEAVY to carry around. (Also, I just realised I wrote this after writting about carring my three year old pus her stroller plus all our stuff up flights of stairs. Maybe I've gotten fitter since DD was a newborn??? I just remember really struggling to carry the capsule.) I'd probably hire again rather then buy the car seat and pram system.

A baby hammock. I used one with DD, and the idea seems to have caught on.... four friends used a hammock for their second baby after me, a friend of a friend has gotten one as well, and a pregnant friend is planning on one too! Maybe they would have gotten one anyway... but I feel like a trendsetter. :P

$40 old school bouncer seat. You know the mesh type on a wire frame? The very basic ones?

Muslin wraps and nappy squares. We'd put the nappy squares (dyed a different colour, so we'd know which were bum ones and which weren't) under her when she slept, so if she chucked up we didn't need to change the sheets. Muslin was good for wrapping and general blankets for her. The bigger and softer, the better.

Nice laundry detergent. You're going to do a lot of washing.

Cloth nappies.

DD's favorite toy as a baby was several of my metal bangles on a key ring.

A nice blanket. That's just an indulgence I'd choose.

Floor mat. My mum picked up some gym mats- like the types from a primary school? and DD just hung out on those, with a towel on top. We also used a towel covered gym mat as a change table. It was safer and easier than changing her on a change table. I'd probably just use my pilates mat for number two. It's a big W cheapie.

Second hand shower seat. They're amazing for the first few months.

Baby bath. These are super easy to get second hand.

Large pail for nappies, plus a liner. I got large waterproof bags to line it that I washed with the nappies

We didn't use a cot till she was a year old. It was the ikea sniglar, which I loved and would use again. Ikea also have $30 high chairs, which are the bomb. They're so easy to clean. My mother works at childcare and says they're the best.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Missbean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's what I'm thinking. Our plans are a secret for now ( few people know our TTC plans) and we share a house with my MIL so it will be hard to stash some stuff ( imagine stashing a cot! Lol) but I think I may just save now that way I can buy things as I will need them I guess. It may help if we don't use much then the money will stretch longer

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would stock up on things like baby wipes, nappy cream, baby wash etc. It's easy to just chuck something extra in with the shopping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As far as essentials for us, we had:

Convertible car seat
    Pram - all in 1 design so bassinet is now a seat for toddler.
    Carrier - was a life saver during witching hour!
    Cot & Monitor - slept in her cot in own room from day 1, monitor was video with sensor pads so was comforting for us
    Changetable - both DH and I are tall and I'm sure this saved our backs. Still used now at 19mths
    Comfortabe Feeding Chair
    Obviously the usual clothes, nappies, wipes.

Honestly, we didn't have much more than that and bought as we needed. The only thing I 'wasted' money on was a bottle feeding starter kit. I solely bf until she weaned at 19mths so never once used the bottles (ok, I did use the manual breast pump in the early days to settle engorgement but could have made do without it)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved having a swing AND bouncer. Would have been lost without both.

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    How funny are the shops and websites telling you to buy all this extra stuff. Argh especially for someone like me it's annoying as I haven't had to experience this yet so obviously don't have much of a clue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseBetweenTheThorns View Post
    I loved having a swing AND bouncer. Would have been lost without both.

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yes I have been thinking I'll get both. I got a swing second hand so I could ( it's in very good condition I checked) but when would a baby rather a swing than a bouncer etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I think it's different for different people.

We used and would use again:
    -cot
    -bassinet
    -high change table (as Michelle said - really good for DH who is tall, he wouldn't be able to change DS on the floor)
    -capsule and compatible pram - love my pram!
    -manduca or similar
    -sling for early days
    -cloth nappies/wipes/bucket
    -water proof mattress liner, used to stick this under a towel and DS would hang out on it naked all the time, till he can move
    -wraps but not to many
    -singlets, for a summer baby that was all he wore for months
    - ikea rocking chair. Didn't use this till DS was in his own room at 4 months tho

What we didn't use
    -bottles, DS won't take them. But I only bought 2 and I'm glad I have them as I didn't know he'd refuse them. Plus I have a good spectra electric pump which wasn't really necessary but still glad we've got it.
    -baby bag. I use it very very occasionally, I have a nappy wallet and I just chuck that at the bottom of the pram. He's not a spewer tho so didn't need to take clothing changes etc tho. Plus I never was a big bag person so for me I just have phone/keys/wallet.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftymamabris View Post
    Yes I have been thinking I'll get both. I got a swing second hand so I could ( it's in very good condition I checked) but when would a baby rather a swing than a bouncer etc?
    Oh yeah, we just had a simple Kmart swing and it was great as we only used it for a short time but it was great while we did. For us both would have been a waste