+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to cook salmon?

I've got some salmon fillets that I want to cook, problem is I have never cooked it before and to be honest I don't really like salmon

Trying to help my husband loose some weight, so healthy ways to serve it are best!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Here's a few options
    1.wrap in baking paper with a squeeze of lemon juice and salt/pepper. . Bake in oven for about 15 minutes(depends how big) at about 180.
    2. If the skin in on. ..put a little oil in a frypan..salt the salmon. Put skin side down in pan and cook for a 5 minutes. .turn... 5 minutes then you can finish off in the oven. Makes skin really crispy but might not be the healthiest option.
    You could poach it but takes a bit more effort.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Salmon can also be used in stir frys. It holds it's shape really well when cut into cubes. I love salmon, we have it every week. Coat in some freshly grated ginger and garlic, then fry with veggies and a splash of soy sauce thrown in at the end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Simple pan fry or oven bake with some olive oil. Salmon can be a bit under. Over cook it and it goes to dry.

Try it with a salsa and rice very heathly - diced cucumber, diced red onion, diced mango can be tinned, handful or coriander and a red chilli all mixed together serve on top of salmon yum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We eat salmon at least twice a week - I substitute it for chicken in most recipes

BBQ or grill it like you would a steak - I do a quick marinade of lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and oregano or sweet chilli sauce

BBQ salmon skewers - marinade in maple syrup and soy sauce and cut into 3cm rectangles and thread on a skewer, takes 1 min each side on hot BBQ

Steam it - I usually do Chinese cooking wine, ginger and shallots

Bake it - I usually just put some cherry tomatoes, lemon wedges , garlic and the Salmon fillets in a baking pan and add fresh thyme and olive oil and lemon zest and bake for about 20 mins

Salmon Caesar salad - instead of bacon or chicken I add grilled flaked salmon

Salmon fish cakes

Salmon stir fry ( teriyaki is our fav )

Salmon sausage rolls

Salmon San Choy bow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm the same as you OP I bought salmon fillets cos they were reduced and I don't really like salmon either.

I marinated mine with soy, garlic, ginger, big splash chilli sauce in the fridge for a couple of hours and wrapped in foil and baked in 200'C oven for 18-20 minutes.

I had no idea how to even tell if they were cooked lol!

But they tasted nice, not too salmony, tender. Made me feel super healthy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I soak mine in fresh lemon juice & garlic in the fridge for a couple of hours, Then I wrap them in al foil with sliced lemon and chopped garlic and pop them in the oven. Amazing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Here's a few options
    2. If the skin in on. ..put a little oil in a frypan..salt the salmon. Put skin side down in pan and cook for a 5 minutes. .turn... 5 minutes then you can finish off in the oven.
    That's how I do it, but with cracked pepper too. I don't time it either, I just kind of watch the flesh change colour. It should still have an uncooked-looking part in the middle when it goes into the oven for approx 5 mins. A fairly moderate oven temp too.

Then serve it with freshly cut chives on it. Those chives make it absolutely sublime!
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 06-11-2013 at 13:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just put them skin down in a hot pan with the tiniest amount of oil. Cook until you can see the fillet is about 1/2 cooked (will go paler pink on the sides as it cooks.). Then flip until nearly cooked. I like mine a bit under. Like a PP said, over cook and it can dry out.

Depending on the season, I either have a fresh salad, or do some sweet potato mash, wilted spinach and whatever veg takes your fancy. I love the salmony taste though, so don't try to disguise it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A yummy dressing with salmon is greek yogurt mixed with some mayo plus chopped mint and coriander and a squeeze of lemon juice. Yummy!!