+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help me! What was your turning point?

I don't know what to do, sorry for the long post..

I'm overweight, I have insulin resistance and I know that I need to lose weight not only for my own health benefit but I want to start TTC early next year and I know that if I don't get my health under control I could potentially have a lot of trouble conceiving or potentially get gestational diabetes...

WTF Is wrong with me? I know what I have to do and I know what my potential outcome could be and yet I still find myself eating that extra serve of pasta or blowing off the gym for a bottle of wine... I need a slap upside the head to wake me up! I don't want to not fit into my clothes and I don't want to have an unhealthy body for our baby but I just can't seem to stop my eating habits..

I am ashamed and embarrassed and I want it to stop =( I had lost 20kg and was feeling amazing but 10kg of that has now come back and I have no one to blame but myself. I look in the mirror and I hate what I see and it still doesn't seem to be enough to stop me from eating crappy foods.

I need help but I don't know who to turn to...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Honestly I think it so much about frame of mind. Once you develop new habits things just start to fall into place and work.

My advice would be to find something that fits into your lifestyle. For me this is 'clean eating' type stuff.

I'm not good at following exact meal plans and I tend to feel hungrier when I do. I'm much better off just focussing on fueling my body with good food rather than dieting.

So I would completely get rid of all processed food as a start. Bread is another thing that I indulge on so I just avoid it altogether. Find what you like and make it work for you. For me this means often having the same breakfast during weekdays and mixing it up in weekends.

I also cook up healthy soups or stir fries and freeze them in portions for those times when I'm tired or slack and it's just there for me. This stops me from both buying food and overindulging in extra food I really don't need.

Drink as much water as you can. This is amazing at reducing hunger. Also be prepared for when the sweet cravings hit - I buy fresh dates to nibble on after dinner when my sweet tooth starts to tempt me. I don't keep any temptations in my house though.

I think to start with you just have to force yourself to go to the gym. Make it a part of your schedule like an appointment. It very quickly becomes something you look forward to because of the positive effects. Write yourself a timetable and just force yourself until it becomes second nature. In the big scheme of things and hour or less put of your day is really worth it.

It can be really hard to get started. I've had more 'starts' than I can count but I always feel better when I make my health my number one priority. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs. I don't really have any advice other than it just clicked for me one day. I'd been through 3 years of ttc, tried soooo many weight loss regimes, had a baby and was wanting a second but still had 30kgs to shift. I have pcos so my fertility is greatly affected by my weight. When ttc #2, I was considering going back to my FS to seek treatment and one day I thought to myself "really? That's what you're going to do? Have invasive procedures and take hormones instead of losing weight?". The next day I signed up with a personal trainer and lost 8kgs then became pregnant natural I still have the majority of my weight to lose and I can't wait to get it all off even if it takes me years. I do know how you're feeling and all I can say is that I hope it clicks for you soon xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    100% sign up with a personal trainer and start bootcamp. Best thing I've ever done because like you I'd just say nah and skip the gym and eat a chocolate. Now I have set times for bootcamp and Pt and know if I don't turn up Im not only letting myself down but wasting my trainers time. I've found my PT gives me the motivation to keep going with the little pep talks and healthy eating talks!! Best of luck for your weight loss journey and TTC

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think for me after feeling so down about my weight and when i'd look at photo's i'd feel even worse.. I think I just got so sick of complaining and wingeing about my weight and that I hated buying bigger clothes, one day I thought to myself that unless I pull my finger out, then nothing will change. I put up some of the most unflattering photos of myself on the fridge and cupboard, and filled the fridge and cupboard with healthy food. take baby steps at a time, I focused on losing 500g a week and eventually I saw results... I had a goal to fit into a size 12 skirt and I now do. You can do it.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When I asked for an ECG due to personal reasons and then was immediately referred to a cardiologist. Apart from having an irregular heart beat, it turned out fine. But was the biggest scare I've had.
    Last edited by LifeInShadesOfGrey; 14-11-2013 at 02:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on being at almost TTC! It sounds like you're quite motivated in some ways but the implementation isn't quite there! Maybe if you slightly shift your motivation from losing weight to thinking of food as nourishment for you and baby. So instead of hating carrot sticks because you just want cake, learn about what vitamins etc are in healthy foods and focus on how healthy you are being. Your weight will also improve no doubt.

I also find it useful to look at healthy recipes online and even Jamie's 15 minute meals on tv for some inspiration. Or even join a 'clean living' or weight loss group on Facebook.

Lots of luck!