+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Bills

How much do you put away/pay.

We have $500 left over after mortgage/car loan.

I've never done budget but now we have a mortgage I'm trying to budget strictly.

We have gas, elec & water. The rates have been paid for a year in advance. But things like car and insurance is $2000 a year so how do I budget that in. I'm so clueless.

We also don't have 'accounts' just offset so I have to set up direct debit. Help please!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I have set up rates, electricity and water on fortnightly direct debits so that when the bills come I am in credit or only owe a small amount. All around $50/fn.

All insurances (cars, health, house) are direct debited monthly and these vary in cost of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I just bpay electicity, phone and net each week-usually $20 and they are both covered.

For insurance and any bigger expences I may end up with, I put away thing like my tax return and ftb supps in an online, higher interest account.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing to reply later

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work out our annual bills (estimate for elec, gas etc), divide by 52 & that amount gets direct debit out of our spending account every week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I worked out a fortnightly amount and transfer that amount every pay into a high interest savings account. I then use those funds to pay all the bills, and earn interest on it as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never had to pay an elec bill or anything so should I just wait until our first bill and go from there?

We get phi direct debit fortnightly I might change it weekly as mortgage comes weekly just to make our pay make sense maybe.

Thanks heaps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd probably just call up and ask for a number to start paying it now. It's a lot easier to get ahead on bills than it is to catch up then get ahead.

Back in my day, ABC played Alice Cooper on the kids cartoons and our cartoons could talk. Being a kid sucks now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I added up the approx yearly amount amount for each bill and divide it by 52 weeks.
    If you have old bills you can look over them to get a rough idea of how much elec/gas/water etc is costing you each year.

I have a seperate account for bill and mortgage payments and each pay day i put my bill money in there.

There are some online budget help sites that you could use to calculate it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our elec is approx 500-600 per quarter, you could use that as a guide to start with and put $30 - $40 a week away from now on until the bill comes.

With your PHI you can still have it direct debited monthly and also be putting away a weekly amount so that at the end of the month the amount will be sitting there ready to pay.

I have a few accounts with my bank
    Main account - wage goes into, grocery shopping money comes out of.
    Bills account - I put my weekly amount away for bills
    Savings - for any extra

I set up my direct debits from the bills account and use online banking and pay bills using Bpay.
    I only have a card for my main account.
    With online banking you can transfer money between your accounts really easily and even set up an amount to automatically go from my main account to my bills account each week.