+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    1. 7am. Wake bub and give full milk feed
    2. 8am breakfast (solids)
    3. 9:50am. put bub to bed. Let bub sleep as long as bub wants.
    4. When bub wakes: 1/2 normal milk feed
    5. 1 hour after wake: lunch (solids)
    6. 3 hours after bub wakes: nap time. Do not let bub sleep past 4:15. When bub wakes give 1/2 milk feed
    7. 5pm: dinner (solids)
    8. 6pm: bath
    9. 6:30pm: full milk feed
    10. 7pm: put bub to bed awake

General tips:
    - don't feed/pat/play music/use a dummy to get bub to sleep
    - check temperature and bedding (being too cold is a big cause of night waking). I used gro-bags, the gro-bag temp guideline and control the room temp with a thermostat controlled heater/cooler.
    - have the same bed time routine. Do everything in the same order each night (eg if you sing a special song before putting bub in a sleeping bag, sing the song at the same time each night).
    Last edited by VicPark; 05-11-2013 at 06:00.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (05-11-2013),Laydeebugxxx  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    9 months is a horror age for sleeping IMO. DS1 started waking randomly after sleeping though from 10 weeks. DS2 was already a bad sleeper and started waking every 90 minutes overnight and having 2 x 30 min naps during the day. I have no advice OP other than try and ride it out. In saying that, I almost ended up losing the plot after so much sleep deprivation. I started punching walls to relieve my stress and almost fractured my hand.

One night, I kid you not, he went to sleep and slept for 11 hours straight. He was about 12 months old. Since then it's been smooth sailing. I don't know what we changed. I was adamant I would never do CIO but I inadvertently did because often I would put him in his cot and stuff my head under a pillow because I couldn't take it anymore.

Like I said, not real advice here but lots and lots of sympathy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carleena View Post
    There is a sleep regression at 9 months which isn't much fun. We just went through it! Now that DS is crawling he is sleeping better again. Maybe your bub will be the same!
    My 9 month old is usually a good sleeper but last week it's gone tits up. I was prepared for this- it's a bad month with becoming mobile, teething etc. she's getting stuck in the corners if her cot too which doesn't help. I've just been feeding her back to sleep, some nights she sleeps through other times she wakes 2-3 times, every night is different even though our routine is the same. I had done cc with her around 6/7 months and worked fantastic so I know she can self settle usually.

My routine is almost identical to duckduckgoose. Edit: she only manages around 2 hours of awake time before first nap though

It doesn't hurt though to read up on techniques, especially if things don't improve. I things don't improve once dd is mobile, I will be doing cc again, but I thought I'd give her a little time to see if it will pass.

Good luck
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 05-11-2013 at 06:55.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're not comfortable with controlled crying (I don't have the heart for it myself), perhaps try settling him without picking him up. He knows you're there, but he has to make do with less. Try patting him on the bum and making 'shhhh' noises. It might take longer at first, but it's a step to weaning him off having you do 100% of his settling for him.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyMonkey For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also struggle with controlled crying! It takes a lot of patience with the patting and I often give in when I'm exhausted and just put her on the boob! I think do whatever works at the time! Things are improving for me heaps and i haven't been very vigilant with 'training'! Whatever works for you at the time!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Momkey For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again everyone; I'm really hoping it's just a 9 month issue. I was so tired last night I told my husband I thought we should separate.... He just told me I was tired & we'd get through this like we get through everything else. I know he's right, we love each other to bits. I just think the thought of having to consider another human being feels overwhelming. He's off work this week so I had a nap this afternoon while he looked after DS. I feel much more sane already. DS seems to be in a really weird pattern of falling asleep in my arms as he's always done, then we transfer him to his cot & he stays asleep.... For about 10 minutes, then he wakes up screaming. Inconsolable screaming. All my usual methods of talking quietly & patting him & saying 'shhhh' don't seem to work. He just seems to get more hysterical. So, eventually one of us will just pick him up & bring him out where he is absolutely awake & wants to play (we don't let him; although it's hard to refuse his smiles). Eventually he will fall asleep in my arms (never DH; a Daddy doesn't get a look in). Then I put him back to sleep in his cot & the last 2 nights he has stirred, but got himself back to sleep. I've tried so many times to put him to bed awake, so that when he wakes he's in the same environment he fell asleep in. But he won't have a bar of it! No way is he falling to sleep without cuddling. We've tried leaving him to cry for as long as we can bear (minutes) but he just gets more & more worked up.
    Some people have asked about food. He's a pretty good eater. He has
    •a bottle of milk on waking
    •breakfast;usually weetbix or porridge with fruit
    •bottle about 4 -5 hours after 1st one
    •lunch; veggies, or pasta or avocado & cheese & fruit
    •bottle about 4 -5 hours after previous one
    •afternoon tea; fruit or cheese or yoghurt
    •dinner; veggies, meat, pasta, finger food etc.
    • bottle before bed.
    He doesn't 'seem' hungry (but I could be wrong. Does his diet seem ok? He'll have between 3-5 bottles in any day dependant on his hunger etc.
    thanks again for all the help & advice.
    Last edited by ertgirl; 07-11-2013 at 22:25.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    He seems to be taking in a great amount for a 9 month old

I know that today, this little bit of info wont help you. It's more of a 'in the long run' and 'look forward to this' type thing.
    So many people will tell you that you are 'making a rod for your own back' by rocking, patting, shushing, feeding, whatevering your DS to sleep. You're really not. You're providing comfort so that he can be a happy and independent child. I fed, patted and sang my twins to sleep every night for... pfft.. can't even calculate.. 20 months? Maybe not quite as long as that. And you know what? They're happy to go to sleep and stay asleep all night, and it has DEFINITELY been that way since at least 20 months (that is the marker that stands out in my head because I stopped bf'ing at 20 months, so I know it was the first time they started to sleep through the night)
    There is only a problem if you feel there is a problem. It doesn't matter what society or books say a baby *should* be doing- if you feel it is not right, then you have the power to fix it. I really do recommend getting the 'no cry sleep solution' by Elizabeth Pantley. It's what I used for my twins, and am now reading it again to help my DD fix up her naps and to get a bit of info on how to put baby down awake (I've NEVER been successful at this, I just don't think I can emotionally do it)... but I just love how she is so gentle and tells you that if you have had enough for that day and baby is crying, then go ahead and cuddle or nurse or whatever, because they really are only little for such a small amount of time... she has a wonderful outlook.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (08-11-2013),Bubbles10  (08-11-2013),duckduckgoose  (08-11-2013),ertgirl  (08-11-2013),Mathermy  (10-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (08-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Some babies do still need feeds overnight at 9 months. All babies are different so the blanket rule that after 6 months babies dont need it irritates me. Both my older boys had night feeds at that age and they sleep brilliantly now.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (08-11-2013),FrothyFrog  (08-11-2013),harvs  (08-11-2013),Mathermy  (10-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd is a pretty great sleeper and still needs a night feed at 10 months. She goes to bed drowsy and is body rocked by me till she's asleep.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ertgirl View Post
    Thanks again everyone; I'm really hoping it's just a 9 month issue. I was so tired last night I told my husband I thought we should separate.... He just told me I was tired & we'd get through this like we get through everything else. I know he's right, we love each other to bits. I just think the thought of having to consider another human being feels overwhelming. He's off work this week so I had a nap this afternoon while he looked after DS. I feel much more sane already. DS seems to be in a really weird pattern of falling asleep in my arms as he's always done, then we transfer him to his cot & he stays asleep.... For about 10 minutes, then he wakes up screaming. Inconsolable screaming. All my usual methods of talking quietly & patting him & saying 'shhhh' don't seem to work. He just seems to get more hysterical. So, eventually one of us will just pick him up & bring him out where he is absolutely awake & wants to play (we don't let him; although it's hard to refuse his smiles). Eventually he will fall asleep in my arms (never DH; a Daddy doesn't get a look in). Then I put him back to sleep in his cot & the last 2 nights he has stirred, but got himself back to sleep. I've tried so many times to put him to bed awake, so that when he wakes he's in the same environment he fell asleep in. But he won't have a bar of it! No way is he falling to sleep without cuddling. We've tried leaving him to cry for as long as we can bear (minutes) but he just gets more & more worked up.
    Some people have asked about food. He's a pretty good eater. He has
    •a bottle of milk on waking
    •breakfast;usually weetbix or porridge with fruit
    •bottle about 4 -5 hours after 1st one
    •lunch; veggies, or pasta or avocado & cheese & fruit
    •bottle about 4 -5 hours after previous one
    •afternoon tea; fruit or cheese or yoghurt
    •dinner; veggies, meat, pasta, finger food etc.
    • bottle before bed.
    He doesn't 'seem' hungry (but I could be wrong. Does his diet seem ok? He'll have between 3-5 bottles in any day dependant on his hunger etc.
    thanks again for all the help & advice.
    Ive said the same thing to my hubby during the night! I've also asked him to quit his job, put the kids up for adoption, sell the house and all other kinds of crazy things!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to carleena For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (08-11-2013)