+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm hearing you OP! DD2 is 1 now and we've had about 4 months of horror nights! I tried everything! She is finally
    Coming good now! I know it's hard - just try and be patient!! Your LO will come
    Good with time!! It's so hard though! I wish I had answers for you! I just know exactly how you feel!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Momkey For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    (Sorry; long post) Thanks for the support & advice everyone. 2 nights ago I was convinced that I needed to toughen up & try to instigate a bit more routine. Now I'm wavering. I will get my hands on some of those books & pick & choose bits that I think will suit us. Last night was the best night we've had in ages, he slept for 6 hours & only woke once in that time. Tonight he's been awake till 9:30pm, we tried cuddling him to sleep then tried putting him down to sleep. Despite being exhausted, he was awake till 9:30. He's just woken up, so that's a total of 22 mins sleep. Poor little guy; I just feel so bad for him as I know he's tired. I wouldn't mind him staying wake till 9:30pm if it meant he slept later the following morning. But, no chance; he still wakes up between 5:30 & 6am. A friend of mine who works for Karitane suggested that he should be awake during the day for roughly 3 hours but that it's quite reasonable to expect him to sleep for around 1.5 hours. A really good sleep for him would be 45 mins (most are 20 mins); we seem to get one sleep cycle at the most. For any of you who have kids around his age; what do you think might be a reasonable routine? He's a reality good eater, although lately has been very distracted on the bottle. If it's important; he is going through huge developmental growth at the moment. In the last week he has gone from not being able to sit unaided & rolling around the floor to sitting on his own & getting up on his knees & crawling backwards.
    A friend of mine said that I couldn't really cuddle him too much at this age & that it's ok to cuddle him to sleep. He's an IVF bubba, who we were told we would never have & our chances of another are very slim (being 40 doesn't help). So I don't want to miss anything, or take anything for granted with him. At the same time I'm a big believer that self settling is a great gift to give a child, maybe he's too young? Although I see other, younger bubbas self-settle very well. So many questions; TIA for listening & offering advice & support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I swear its a stage they go through at that age. At 9m my DD went from sleeping through most nights to several wake ups. I was cuddling to sleep but every time I put her down she would wake up crying.

I just kept offering her a bottle overnight each time she woke up. A few nights I moved her to my bed so we could both get some sleep. It lasted about 3 weeks. She just went back to sleeping through on her own. Don't know why.

I stopped cuddling to sleep at 11m when she began fighting me to go play. It just got too hard. I think when cuddling to sleep gets too hard it's time to stop. She would cry when I cuddled her to sleep and she cried when I put her in her cot, so it didn't stop the crying. We've had ups and downs since then, she's 2 now and knows how to manipulate me. Thankfully at the moment she's a dream to put to bed!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi just wanted to offer you our routine, ds is 10mths but we have been on this routine pretty much from 6mths.
    7-8am wake and breakfast
    9.30 nap
    10.30 morning tea
    12pm lunch
    12.30/1pm sleep
    3-4pm milk feed
    5pm dinner
    6pm bath or just a wash and pjs (we dont bath every night)
    6.30pm milk feed
    7pm bed

p.s i still rock ds to sleep sometimes but only because i want to!(we had to teach him to self settle and he is perfectly capable to self settle now) Once dd learnt to self settle, she wouldnt let me rock her to sleep anymore so with ds, i do a bit of both.
    he's growing up so fast and he is my last, i just want to hold onto his babiness for as long as i can
    Last edited by Beefie; 04-11-2013 at 21:44.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beefie For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a 9 month old who I cuddle to sleep but am considering doing cc to get to self-settling again

A good routine is 3 hours awake time, and 3 hours of day sleeps of at least one hour minimum. So our routine is

6.30 wake up (roughly), breastfeed
    8am breakfast
    9.30 nap for 1-2 hours
    Wake breastfeed, lunch at 12.30ish
    Second nap is 3 hours after waking for 1-2 hours
    Breastfeed on waking, snack. Dinner at 5, bath, breastfeed, bed around 7.30

9. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't help much but just wanted to say that my DD was like this and at age 5.5 y still doesn't sleep all night. I really wish I had been tougher when she was younger as it has been a hellish few years. At least now she'll go back to bed with out a drama and we do get about 2 nights a week when she'll make it all the way through. Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both my kids were shocking with night sleep 6-12mths then dramatically improved. We follow a fairly loose but predictable pattern.

Wake 5.30-6.30am
    Brekky/activity
    Dd1 nap 9-11 dd2 nap 8.30-9/9.30
    Lunch activity etc
    Dd1 nap 2-4 dd2 12-3
    Dinner etc
    Dd1 bedtime 7.30-8pm dd2 6.30-7pm.

Both girls 1-2 feeds overnight at 9mths.

I always feed or cuddle to sleep. My girls are 1&3yo now and are terrific sleepers when not sick or teething

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love BH; you're all making me feel normal, which is just lovely. You know, I'm wondering if he may be needing a bottle in the middle of the night for a while...? He just woke about 3 times & I thought I'd offer him a bottle, expecting him to take 2 sips & fall back to sleep. Instead he virtually inhaled the whole thing. I thought by this age they were more than capable of making it through the night without a feed. But now I'm wondering if because he's so distracted on his bottles during the day & rarely finishes more than half a bottle, if he needs to make up for it so he can sleep at night.
    I love the idea that he will basically 'tell me' when he's had enough of being cuddled to sleep... Do you think it's possible for a child his age to be hyperactive? My mum kind of said today that she thinks he is a very, very active baby. She is a Mum of 6, Grandmother of 17 & great grandmother of 5, so she has a fair bit of experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Does bub have enough solids (especially protein/meat) during the day? By 9 months most bubs should be able to last through the night without a feed. Be careful as it only takes 2 night of something (feeds etc) for a habit to be formed (waking to expect the feeds). On the few occasions my bub woke during the night I found (for me) less fuss worked best. Treat it as night time: no light, no Talking, no fuss. I learned this through trial and error. Once bub woke (teeth I think, not sure) and I fed him. Second night he woke the same time and I did the same. Third time it was obvious the little munchkin was waking as he had formed a habit. No feed. Next night no waking.

I will try and find my old 9 month routine for you.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a sleep regression at 9 months which isn't much fun. We just went through it! Now that DS is crawling he is sleeping better again. Maybe your bub will be the same!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to carleena For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (05-11-2013)