+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mum in tears; 9 month old sleep issues

Anyone have any tips for helping my 9 month old sleep? We basically have no real routine to speak of as I've always pretty much followed his sleep cues & gone from there. The result was that from about 5 months he was 'sleeping through' the night; he would maybe wake once a night & I would go in & settle him & he would go straight back to sleep. He's always been a pretty bad day sleeper, but I comforted myself that it didn't really matter as he was sleeping so well at night. Anyway for about the last month he has become increasingly more awake during the night & much harder to settle. I've been getting to the point where I try my old 'hands on settling techniques' & he just ends up hysterical, to the point that I have to pick him up. Of course, he falls straight to sleep in my arms (because he's exhausted) but then wakes & the process starts all over again when I put him down. Tonight I was so exhausted I was in tears. I'd love some advice on settling techniques, or maybe suggested routines that might help. I'm not sure how I feel about cc or CIO, but suspect I'm way too much of a woose (sp? Lol) to listen to him cry & not go to him. I guess I'm just looking either for reassurance that I'm doing the right thing, or advice if I'm doing the wrong thing. (I am totally sleep deprived at the moment, so apologise if my post is rambling)... TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds like us a few months ago. Ds had been sick and got used to being cuddled to sleep and then was waking 6 or more times a night, sometimes fighting to go back to sleep for 2 hrs.

After ruling out that there was anything wrong and that he was just protesting going to sleep we decided we had to break the habit. I was exhausted and cranky and ds was the same.

It took two nights of protest crying before he was putting himself to sleep again without a fuss but there was a massive improvement on the amount of wake ups the first night.

I know you aren't sure on cc or cio and neither was I, it was the hardest and longest 10 minutes of my life but it is what ds needed.

So my advice is to take a step back and look at the situation and decide if it will work for you and not just ruke it out.

Hugs, I hope things improve soon for you.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (03-11-2013),SugarSkull  (05-11-2013),~Marigold~  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    My 9 month old goes to sleep in my arms and then I put him down. I haven't been able to leave him and have him go to sleep himself since he was a tiny baby.

He has 2 naps during the day for about 1.5 hrs and at night he goes to sleep at 7 and wakes 2+ times which takes me feeding him or bringing him to bed to get him back to sleep. He has been teething and that made it worse for awhile (he wasn't going straight back to sleep).

Sorry I'm no help, I just wanted to reassure you that you aren't alone.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (03-11-2013),mrswhitehouse  (03-11-2013)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Go to your library or order off eBay etc "no cry sleep solutions" by Elizabeth Pantley.

She is wonderful, there are lots of ideas to choose from and it won't leave you feeling uncomfortable or doubtful of what you are doing.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Aanya  (08-11-2013),angelini  (03-11-2013),ertgirl  (03-11-2013),mrswhitehouse  (03-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (08-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-11-2013)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds is almost one and we just went through this. He was cosleeping and waking every cycle.

Picking him up or touching him we learnt unsettled him more. We have been camping out. Maybe google that and see if you think it could work for you? Any questions I'm happy to answer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (03-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It could also be a growth spurt and he may be hungry. You are lucky if your baby sleeps through

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseBetweenTheThorns For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (03-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has some really bad nights when he is sick or teething. It could be that too. I i pick him up and cuddle as many times as he needs on those nights. It's exhausting! Once his discomfort is over he goes back to hi regular patterns

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Starfish30 For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (03-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Read save out sleep. You don't have to do the crying bits if you don't want. Just take advice from the routines and warnings against using sleep aids (dummies, patting to sleep etc).

Good luck

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (03-11-2013),SugarSkull  (05-11-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Something similar happened with my son when he was 9 months, although he has always been a rubbish sleeper. You don't say how his feeding goes,but at 9 months I started comp feeding with a bottle of formula after solids before bath and bed, and he slept much better. I just couldn't keep up with his appetite.

Another thing I learned from a sleep consultant was the importance of routine, as VP says. So while I can't do CC, CIO, we worked hard on fixing his day sleeps which improved the night time somewhat. She insisted we woke him at the same time every day, so the first couple of days we used his own natural waking time as a guide. Then we tried to learn his biorhythms, which for me meant taking him for a massive walk (he would only sleep in his pusher during the day at this stage) and noting when he naturally fell asleep. We did this for the afternoon too to give us a rough idea of his natural body clock. We used this as a guide to putting him down for day sleeps.

He now sleeps in his crib for at least two hours a day, with sometime one nap or sometimes two. Since he has done this he sleeps far better at night, although he has still only slept through once or twice. I remember being so tired and frustrated once I cried and cried and punched my pillow. I understand how you must be feeling. If you need to take a break and breathe, remember that as long as his needs are met (ie not hungry, wet, or in pain), then a little bit of crying while you gather yourself isn't going to hurt him. Look after yourself, and it does get easier.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Hi, I would personally also wake at the same time each day too. The mums I know who don't do that still have sleep troubles, even now at 20 months!

I think at 9 months it's best to start a routine sooner rather than later. If you find the timings in save our sleep don't work for your bub, definitely try Mrs Harvey's suggestion as schedules are so important for sleep but sometimes the ones in books don't fit your bub but you can get around that by finding out his natural cycle.

my DD started sleeping through at 10 months and once she was consistently sleeping through she had a rough patch and I too got up to comfort her to sleep in my arms but once I put her down she woke, same as your bub. It was at that time that even after trying to camp out, bring her into our bed didn't work that I realised our presence made her think it was party time and she needed to realise we weren't coming 'to play' and it was time to go back to sleep. So I introduced a small teddy to her cot to comfort her and left her to it and she cried for 12 minutes and went back to sleep and that was the last night she woke at night. She would have been 13 months at that stage and is now 20 months and never has she woke in the night since.

good luck!

PM me if you want any other tips.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (04-11-2013),SugarSkull  (05-11-2013)