+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default HELP! DS is so fussy

I need advice with encouraging DS (18 months) to eat. He is and always has been fussy but now the only thing he eats are those squeezy vegie things. He also has Vegemite sandwiches and yoghurt. I have tried everything. Baby led weaning, everything! I slave away every day cooking all types of food and he just throws it on the ground. Nothing is working. He has had problems with his throat so I think some textures aggrivate him. He just won't even try the food I make. I'm so upset I just feel like I'm letting him down. He has hardly had any meat in his whole life. Any tips? Thankyou

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I could have written your post. This book saved my sanity - Give Peas a Chance by Kate Samela. Find it at your local library, read it and do it and then take a deep breath. If you haven't already you might want to try a supplement like Pentavite or Incremin. They can help stimulate the appetite but speak to a pharmacists for advise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

moosey  (02-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    I could have written your post. This book saved my sanity - Give Peas a Chance by Kate Samela. Find it at your local library, read it and do it and then take a deep breath. If you haven't already you might want to try a supplement like Pentavite or Incremin. They can help stimulate the appetite but speak to a pharmacists for advise.
    Thanks so much, I was almost in tears tonight. It's so frustrating. I'll google it now. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is two (almost) and we found that insisting he has the food that I serve up or have nothing. I don't think a toddler will starve themselves, I always tired to serve up something that I knew he would like and eat as well as what we were having (piece of bread, tinned corn, ham etc) once he ate that, there was still food left on his plate and if chose not to eat that, then I would say he's not that hungry. It didn't take much time for him to get more adventurous with his eating. He will most of the time, try things without a fuss. If he's tried something but doesn't like it, I will give him some leeway.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

moosey  (02-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by squishie View Post
    My son is two (almost) and we found that insisting he has the food that I serve up or have nothing. I don't think a toddler will starve themselves, I always tired to serve up something that I knew he would like and eat as well as what we were having (piece of bread, tinned corn, ham etc) once he ate that, there was still food left on his plate and if chose not to eat that, then I would say he's not that hungry. It didn't take much time for him to get more adventurous with his eating. He will most of the time, try things without a fuss. If he's tried something but doesn't like it, I will give him some leeway.
    This is what I do now too. Tonight DS ate about 3/4 of a sausage. That's it. Would not touch anything else, but he had a decent lunch so I didn't stress. Yesterday he didn't eat much lunch but for dinner he ate a bowl full of ravioli with sauce. Start to look at what they eat over a week rather than each meal. Some will be more, some less but over a week it adds up. I found the more I stressed about it the worse he was. Have you tried a tasting plate rather than a meal? Small bits of different things, things he will eat with 1 or 2 new things. DS still eats this way at lunch. Oh and smoothies are a good fall back when all else fails.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

moosey  (03-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    Thanks so much, I was almost in tears tonight. It's so frustrating. I'll google it now. Thanks
    I can't really relate, just wanted to offer support. That most be really hard. Good luck

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsreed For This Useful Post:

moosey  (03-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to thank wiseoldowl as I have a fussy ds and started reading give peas a chance, I'm a quarter way through and am following her suggestions, and already it's helping so thank you!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lansta For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansta View Post
    Just wanted to thank wiseoldowl as I have a fussy ds and started reading give peas a chance, I'm a quarter way through and am following her suggestions, and already it's helping so thank you!
    Yay!!! Glad it's helping. I'm happy to share anything I find helpful. I like that it's written in an easy to read style and just makes total sense.