+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Toilet training advice

We're on day 5 of our 2nd attempt at toilet training DS2 (3 in January). The first couple of days went well - we just went nappy free with those terry training pants and he'd happily sit on the potty every 1/2 hour or so and he did lots of wee's and only 1 or 2 accidents. He got a sticker reward after each wee in the potty and was really keen.

Thursday and Friday he went to daycare and he didn't have very good days. He's quite shy and didn't want to sit on their toilets or on his potty in front of kids from another room, and he held onto his wee for a good couple of hours until they put his nap time nappy on.

So today we went straight back into undies after I took his night time nappy off, and he just doesn't want to sit on the potty, and the excitement of the sticker rewards has worn off. He's had nothing but accidents today, so I just clean up and change his undies and explain we do our wee wee's in the potty. He's not upset when he has a wee on the floor, and doesn't seem bothered by being wet.

I'm really confused now though. Do I keep at it and just clean up his accidents and keep him in undies in the hope he will want to go back to sitting on the potty, or do we give up again and put him back in nappies?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I'd just mix it up a bit, ask whether he wants a nappy, if it's yes then so be it. Perhaps start putting out undies as the first option. He's still quite young in my opinion and possibly doesn't understand why the nappies have to go. Stickers are only exciting for so long. I found chocolate for a poo and a sugar free lolly for a wee, DD would sell her soul for sweets. I made it clear that once the packets were finished (they were pretty big packets) that that would be the end of it, and she was fine with that. It's all about finding his most valuable currency. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be hesitant to put back in a nappy only because it might send the wrong message and toileting could become an attitude problem where they know that they can just go back to nappies whenever.

Toileting is so different for every kid. Some can pick it up in a second, others take months (I spent 6 years toilet training kids in child care)
    Just keep praising them when they do it on the potty and toilet and when they have accidents dont grt upset just say that wees and poos are for the toilet and move on.

Also maybe ask the carers if they can take to the toilet more often by himself. I would normally take the kids starting off every 20 mins until they started shoeing signs of going longer.

Good luck!

Also maybe try and get some cool undies- like I know my daughter loves dora so she doesnt want to have an accident in her dora undies coz they are special.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies ladies. Today was a much better day, and he's even taken himself to the potty twice to do a wee without me asking. I think perhaps yesterday's resistance might have been a hangover from not so good days at daycare. I really don't want to go back to nappies, so I just hope we can keep this up!