+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flying long haul at 17/18 weeks - petrified!

I am due to fly home (UK) in December for be bridesmaid at my bestfriends wedding but I have fallen pregnant (unexpectedly but over the moon!) I am due to fly there and back in 7 days due to lack of leave. Whilst I have read that it is fine to fly I am petrified! I am an incredibly nervous flyer and get VERY anxious so I usually take some Valium to cope especially when I fly by myself, my husband and father are dead against me going and are pleading with me not to go and to think about the health of my baby - which I agree with but I am also feeling very guilty and I hope that if I decide not to go my friend will understand. Any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey, why are they concerned about the health of your baby? Flying itself isn't dangerous. Do you mean the stress? If you genuinely can't fly without a Valium then I guess you can't go... I would be disappointed if I was your friend but assuming she is aware of your fear of flying, hopefully she will understand.

Tricky one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We just moved to London from Melbourne last week at 24 weeks pregnant, it's perfectly safe pregnancy-wise just stay hydrated and get up to walk around a bit.

If you're more worried about the stress of your fears or your fear in general maybe try talking to a counsellor a couple times before you leave to help you rationalize those fears and learn some relaxation techniques.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    never mind I thought you were flying with a newborn, just realised you meant 17/18 weeks pregnant!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think there are any risks flying then. I will be 16 weeks when I fly home to Ireland for Xmas. I don't fly back until 20 weeks. We have stop offs in Japan, London and Singapore. Tbh I am so looking forward to this holiday. I think this stage is best for flying - hopefully over the morning sickness but too early worry about labour - most travel insurance companies automatically insure you up to 26 weeks (or later) and they would not insure for no extra if there were risks! Enjoy your trip! I'm guessing this is your first? You won't get much chance at flitting off to Europe when the baby comes ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've flown throughout both my pregnancies. Ranging from 6 hour flight to 24 hour trips ( with an 13 hour flight). I did Darwin to Scotland at 34 weeks (flew home at 36).

If you would like to put your partners & dads mind at peace go to your doctor or midwife and they will give you a certificate clearing you to fly. It would also be a good opportunity for you to discuss any health concerns, i didn't think there would be anything stopping you from flying unless you are a high risk pregnancy? Drink lots of water and frequent walks down the aisles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I flew perth to UK in my second trimester as well as numerous trips within Australia for work without any problems.

As pp have said, there are no great risks to the baby with flying, you just have to make extra effort to stay hydrated and get up and move around even more than usual. But if you're anything like I was then the ten thousand trips to pee will take care of that!

Perhaps try some focused relaxation techniques to get you through? You have to put the effort in to get them to work. For example the Mitchell relaxation method is taught in many antenatal classes to prepare for labour so maybe look into that and get practicing before your trip?

Good luck xx