+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am a bit of a lady of leisure at the moment with one school-aged child and only working running an extremely small and fun business from home which doesn't require a lot of work at the moment. I cook us all breakfasts, do the school run, do a fair whack of the housework (because I can during the day with DP at work and DS at school). I cook dinner and DP does the dishes and cleans the kitchen after. I do laundry.

When I worked fulltime housework was a little bit more evenly spread but me still doing the lion's share. To be fair DP never cleaned when he lived alone but does so now purely so I'm not doing it all.

what makes the biggest difference for me as opposed to being with my son's biological father is parenting is very much shared. He comes to parent-teacher interviews, sports days, plays with him after school and helps with his homework. With my ex I felt very trapped because I could never go anywhere without a child tagging along which meant I missed out on a lot of things I enjoye and lost a lot of great friendships. There was a lot of resentment on my behalf. Now I go to my yoga classes twice a week and DP cooks dinner for DS and tucks him into bed and if my friends invite me out and it's something not suitable for children the only thing i have to check is whether DP had anything arranged, if not off I go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    The wives with older kids are stay at home mums and they all seem to be domestic goddesses. I can imagine it would be easy to do with older children.
    Please don't compare yourself to others. Things are rarely as they seem in life, I've come to learn.

I have friends that come across as the most perfect parents, with perfect families, but I know it simply isn't so. I never drop in unannounced at friends places but a couple of months ago I did, just to drop something off, and I immediately regretted it. I felt I walked in on a bad situation, my friend looked like she had been crying, husband looked uncomfortable and like he was really angry but covering it up, and the kids had their heads down and seemed quiet. It upset me and I just knew it wasn't perfect in that household. I got out pretty quickly. The tension in the air was so thick.

Never judge people by what you *see*. People go to great lengths to appear normal and better than normal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

made2bAmummy  (03-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH is very helpful but at the same time frustrating because I do have to prompt/remind him and he can get easily side tracked

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I work part time and Dh full time but shift work. When he is home he is great with the kids but avg with housework.

I do more cooking/everyday cleaning, Dh does the outside/weekly cleans/laundry mostly. This was after much negotiation.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dh and I are pretty equal with everything. He runs his own business from home and I work almost full time (Monday-Thursday). When I'm at work, he looks after ds and when I'm home he works or gets some down time, but weekends we usually do things as a family together, or with our friends. I do all the cooking and grocery shopping but aside from that we do all the household chores in turns. We don't have to ask each other to do it, dh is a neat freak and hates clutter so he will tidy up or do laundry or take rubbish out or clean the dishes when he sees it needs doing. I'm the same. We also have a nanny/cleaner who comes twice a week and she spends 3 hours with ds so dh can work, and 2 hours cleaning the kitchen, bathroom, laundry and floors. I think our situation is quite unique because neither of us feels like we are carrying the weight of the other, and ds gets the benefit of having us both as his "primary" carers. We have bub #2 due any day now, so things will change a bit over the next 8 months but I'll be going back to almost full time work again in July, and ds starts 2 days at child care in January.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by dee1; 20-02-2014 at 20:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work 2 days per week and go to uni the other 3 days. Df looks after the kids while I'm away and then goes to work when I get home. He does what he can during the day and I'll finish off things that he hasn't had a chance to get to. He will usually do washing, dishes, take out rubbish, gardening, vacuuming. I make a point of telling him to rest as he usually doesn't finish work till midnight and then has to get up to look after the kids the next morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I am a SAHM and primary care giver to our 2 boys (6 months and 22 months old). My husband works away for 3 weeks at a time so while he is away I do everything with no help.

When he comes home he is back for 3 weeks. He does garden/outdoor stuff, helps with the kids and occasionally will do some of the housework if I ask (nag) enough. I wish he would help me a bit more with the kids so I could have a break but it's hard as I am still breast feeding and can't express a bottle for him to feed with as I don't get enough milk when I pump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    The way it works at our house is, when you are at work, you are at work. When you are at home you are doing house duties until they are done. So when I am home I am doing 100% of the house and child care. As soon as DP is home it is split 50/50. No one gets time to relax until it's all taken care of. In our house that means DP and I relax at around 7.30 once the kids are down and the dishes are done. We split any night wake ups and take it in turns watching the kids on the weekend if the other wants a break.
    Pretty much how it works here. It took a while to get to this point, a fair few arguments and such but it's been pretty good for a few years now.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    The way it works at our house is, when you are at work, you are at work. When you are at home you are doing house duties until they are done. So when I am home I am doing 100% of the house and child care. As soon as DP is home it is split 50/50. No one gets time to relax until it's all taken care of. In our house that means DP and I relax at around 7.30 once the kids are down and the dishes are done. We split any night wake ups and take it in turns watching the kids on the weekend if the other wants a break.
    Exactly this in our house