+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Who does formula feed with breast feeding?

So my lil man is 2 weeks old and isn't putting on weight he sometimes will feed for 2-3hrs its so exhausting so I have tried doing one bottle early night of formula to get him going longer and fuller at night as that is his worst hrs .

I want to know if any other mums do this and have you noticed it helps or makes things worse ?

He got 4 hrs last night between feeds but tonight wasn't so good 2.5 and had only 60mls not 120...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chan87 View Post
    So my lil man is 2 weeks old and isn't putting on weight he sometimes will feed for 2-3hrs its so exhausting so I have tried doing one bottle early night of formula to get him going longer and fuller at night as that is his worst hrs .

I want to know if any other mums do this and have you noticed it helps or makes things worse ?

He got 4 hrs last night between feeds but tonight wasn't so good 2.5 and had only 60mls not 120...
    At two weeks it's normal to feed 2-3 hourly round the clock. I had to do formula top ups as dd was losing weight and not having enough wet nappies. Is your bub gaining at all, or just not much? At this stage any formula you give will impact your milk supply- the more you feed, the more you will make. I would stop the bottle if he's putting on a bit of weight. If he's not, offer a small amount of formula after a bf. the long and constant feeds are what is needed to establish your milk supply, especially night feeds. In the early evening the constant feeding for 2-3 hrs is called cluster feeding. I know it's tiring but this is building your supply- replacing them with a bottle will lessen your milk. It's in these first exhausting weeks that your body learns how much milk to make. To boost your supply try pumping after feeds if you can and you can then give that milk as a top up- but try not to replace feeds with a bottle- only top up. Breastfeeding is about comfort too, not just food- and bf is the ultimate comfort for many babies
    Don't expect a two week old to sleep through, it's very unlikely. Try to nap when he does
    You can mix feed but my advice is wait until your supply is well established- 10-12 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chan I had a similar problem with 5 week old Charlotte, it took her 3 weeks up get back to birth weight, and went 1 weeks without gaining any. During the first few weeks I topped up with formula, she

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This website is a great resource: http://kellymom.com/parenting/parent...fussy-evening/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry cont
    Would feed for an hour but was not getting much milk, dso she ended up burning more calories than she was getting. So I expressed after each feed and topped her up with 50 mls of EBM or formula. Now 3 weeks on she is gaining plenty of weight no formula in sight I am still expressing and topping her up as she is a very slow drinker but I can express 100 to 150 each feed. Hang in there, I had people saying to fro the bottle but for us it wasn't an option and constant expressing which is a pain increased supply. Good luck do what you need to, also don't let the maternal child health nurses get to you, bf babies can take longer to gain as long as he is settled and has wet and poo nappies try not to worry