+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Reflux, colic, wind? Fussy bottle fed baby.

For the past week my 5 week old DS has become fussy while drinking his bottle. It's not during every bottle, but when it happens he sucks a few times and all of a sudden his face screws up and he starts crying. It can take an hour for him to finish his bottle as he constantly stops eating, cries in what I assume is pain and then starts crying louder because he's still hungry. He occasionally has little spit ups but not a huge amount and not all the time. He does this for maybe 2 or so bottles per day but it seems to be happening more often - 3-4 times today it seemed. I feed him with his body upright and that seems to help for a little bit but then after a few mins it starts all over again. We burp him frequently during feeds and he does a few burps so i don't think it's wind. We thought maybe reflux but he's really calm and content the rest of the day, it's just during some of his bottles. Is painful reflux more common while they're actually eating rather than at other times? I guess it could be gas but would painful gas only happen while eating? I we use Nan Ha formula.

Any ideas? It's heartbreaking to see him in pain .

Eta - Apologies for my shocking spelling/punctuation, I'm typing one handed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I have the same problem! We are using the same formula too on our 2 week old. She has had bad smelly wind today bad, then she loudly released some wind today and some runny poo followed. It seems to be upsetting her tummy last 2-3 days . Her last " hard poo" was yesterday, I don't know whether to change formula or not .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm he has done a lot of smelly farts today but he did a huge poo this morning and doesn't seem constipated or in pain other than when he has his bottle so I don't think it's tummy pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not sure but one idea could be the bottle and flow of the teat. It could be too fast/too slow. What are you using?
    Bub could be getting frustrated.
    Some things to think of would be
    - watch for a suck swallow breathe rhythm. If there are lots of sucks... then a swallow turn a breath the teat could be too fast/slow.
    - milk escaping from the corners of the mouth is an inductor that is not a good latch which can cause frustration. The teat might be too hard/soft and bub can't suck on it efficiency.
    - the collar could be too tight which can make it harder to suck.

Sorry I've probably bombarded you!! Just a few things that might help. ??!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Tamtam for taking the time to reply!

DH and I were actually just discussing that it could be the teat. We are using the tommee tippee closer to nature bottles with a size 1 teat. I have a few spare teats here so i might try putting a small hole in one to see if making the flow faster helps. He does have a bit of milk escape out the sides so it could very well be the teat causing the fussiness. Thanks again for your input, I appreciate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just my opinion this one. The closer to nature ones can cause frustration. They are quote short and hard... making a latch difficult. You don't have slow flow on it for your LO? I'd be inclined to change the teat. Possibly even try a slim line neck type bottle. Even the cheapies from big w are great. Also pigeon often have great success. But try what you have before spending any more money! Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The size 1 teat we are using is the slow flow. I've heard pigeon are good so I'll grab one when I'm out today and see how he goes.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let me know how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm using closer to nature bottles but the slowest flow . Bub has terrible gas smell and runny poo last two days. I'm using nan ha gold . Don't know what to do whether to change to something else or not gosh it's hard being a first time mum I feel like I have no idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could be wrong but I don't think it would be the formula causing the gastro, formula normally does the opposite and makes them constipated. Could she have a virus? Is she drinking the same amount as usual? If not, I'd probably get her checked out.