Closed Thread
Page 80 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    IMG_2667.JPG

Don't know which way is the right way up from my phone, looks fine on my computer and ipad goes sideways!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rozzie1976 For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (27-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nice little bump Rozzie! Getting there!

My bump is kind of funny looking lol. It was the same with DD, it's quite low and sticks right out, not a nice rounded bump like most people.

Loco - I'm so sorry no-one treated your PND seriously. I was lucky in the sense that DH is familiar with the symptoms of depression and recognized it in me long before I was willing to admit it. He insisted on coming to the GP and the MCHN appointments and told them both he thought I had PND, despite me denying it. The nurse agreed with him (I'd been seeing her weekly to monitor DDs feeding & weight issues) and the GP did the Edinborough test and I was scoring really high. I was immediately given a mental health plan and my GP called a PND counsellor while I sat in her office to make an appointment. I also got a referral to go to tresillian as an emergency case from the MCHN. Everyone was really proactive and supportive, which is what got me through.

If it happens again with your second baby, make sure you insist on getting help. Do you have a more understanding GP now? I would talk to them in advance so they're aware and can monitor you. Also tell the midwives and your OB. Seriously, tell everyone! Especially given your DH is away a lot, I'll worry about you on your own!!

To all the first time mums here - please be aware of PND and talk, talk, talk if you're feeling down or overwhelmed or even kind of 'blank' or numb. Sorry to be such a downer but it's so important to look after your mental health!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cue thank you so much for that. Well I had pre natal depression and the midwives told DH to watch out for PND but he was so caught up in the whirlwind of a new baby he just couldn't see that I was not myself. In his eyes PND is only when mothers want to hurt their babies and themselves like on the news and because I wasn't this way he thought I was just moody and tired.

I saw 3 or 4 gp's back then and they all said I was just tired. I scored low on those tests but when I look back I just wasn't myself. I was so protective of dd didn't want anyone touching her, I didn't leave the house for ages.

I know I wasn't severe but I still believe I had some sort of depression. I hadn't slept, had no help or support apart from DH, baby had colic reflux milk allergies so it was all so overwhelming. For me it was also coming off a long hard road of IVF straight into pregnancy then straight into motherhood I guess I didn't have a break and really lost myself.

I have to say this time I feel different, I feel great and do believe I fought off all the demons by myself so hoping they stay away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Those words describe it perfectly for me - blank, numb and it felt like there was only DD and I in this big round bubble. No one could get in and we couldn't get out or actually I wouldn't let anyone in and I wouldn't let us out if that makes sense. Gosh it was weird.

Poor DD having such a clingy mum in her first few months of living

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    Those words describe it perfectly for me - blank, numb and it felt like there was only DD and I in this big round bubble. No one could get in and we couldn't get out or actually I wouldn't let anyone in and I wouldn't let us out if that makes sense. Gosh it was weird.

Poor DD having such a clingy mum in her first few months of living
    Same! It was so hard to explain it.
    I'm sure your DD was loved and very well cared for. There are some dark days I'm far from proud of but I now know I am and always was a good mum, as I'm sure you were and are

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (27-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow loco and cue ... I'm reading from a distance and thank you so much got sharing your experiences, I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

I'm looking into organising placenta encapsulation after birth and apparently it's supposed to help ward off PND, but I will still be trying to be aware of this and also educate hubby on it also as all members of our little family should be healthy and happy!!

Rozzie - great pic, can't wait for it to expand over the next 6 months

My belly is still non existent 12w3d today!! Have 12 week scan on Wednesday pretty sure I mentioned it previously but stressing over possibilities of results.
    Fingers crossed and praying for a healthy low risk bub !! x

Hope you're all enjoying the long weekend mamas!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefaithbelieve For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (27-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cue and Loco and to any other Mums thinking they have PND, I went to my GP when my DS was one as I didn't feel like myself. I didn't feel numb or depressed but knew something was off.

My GP did full thyroid blood tests on me as symptoms of PND can be similar to an overactive or under active thyroid. As it turned out I had hyperthyroidism, an overactive thyroid. Having my DS caused it. So sometimes it can be more than PND and actually something else. Just a thought for down the track.

Since falling pregnant it has caused my thyroid to relapse again (was rectified with medication to get levels back to normal), and is now overactive again. Food for thought if after bub is born you lose weight (a lot without trying quickly), heart racing, anxiety, always hot etc. Or google under active thyroid for its symptoms. Sometimes GPs are quick to diagnose PND and could be something else, I'm lucky I have a great thorough Dr who didn't just throw anti depressants at me as it would have done nothing to fix the real issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefaithbelieve View Post
    Wow loco and cue ... I'm reading from a distance and thank you so much got sharing your experiences, I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

I'm looking into organising placenta encapsulation after birth and apparently it's supposed to help ward off PND, but I will still be trying to be aware of this and also educate hubby on it also as all members of our little family should be healthy and happy!!

Rozzie - great pic, can't wait for it to expand over the next 6 months

My belly is still non existent 12w3d today!! Have 12 week scan on Wednesday pretty sure I mentioned it previously but stressing over possibilities of results.
    Fingers crossed and praying for a healthy low risk bub !! x

Hope you're all enjoying the long weekend mamas!
    I want to do this to but my family were horrified when I mentioned it my grandmother went off at me so I never thought about it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozzie1976 View Post
    Attachment 49635

Don't know which way is the right way up from my phone, looks fine on my computer and ipad goes sideways!
    Awesome bump Rozzie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    I want to do this to but my family were horrified when I mentioned it my grandmother went off at me so I never thought about it again.
    Oh no!
    Hubby and I decided it's something we think is worth a shot, but fir that reason, I don't think I'll tell people I'm eating my placenta in powder form haha.