+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Toilet Training 2 1/2 yr old

My son knows how to go to the toilet himself if he wants to. Sometimes, he simply refuse to go to the toilet and want to be in a nappy. What should I do?

One day, I had him in training pants for the whole day and he would simply pee in his pants and then tells me afterwards that he is wet.

At daycare, he doesn't want to go to the toilet there. He did for the first day in his training pants then, subsequent days, he just refused to go on the toilet and tells me "he wants to go toilet at home".

What should I do?
    I dont want him to pee on the floor and I don't want to force him to go toilet if he doesn't want to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If he has told you he needed to go at some stage then stopped I'd take all nappies, training pants and undies off him and just pop him on the toilet every half hour. Reward him after he has done it.

If he keeps wetting himself then is think he wasn't ready and try again in a few weeks/months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What would you do?
    Jayden refused to go on the childcare toilet but he does at home. When I picked him up from childcare, and took him to the toilet, he tells me "Jayden, go toilet at home".
    Today, i sent Jayden in his undies to childcare and he did not want to go to the toilet at all. The staff took him to the ones which he could close the door and he just stood in there and kept crying. He is still dry from since I left him. That would be 3 hours now. Should I put his nappy back while he is at childcare or persist with him wearing his undies?

Quote Originally Posted by ~BEXTER~ View Post
    If he has told you he needed to go at some stage then stopped I'd take all nappies, training pants and undies off him and just pop him on the toilet every half hour. Reward him after he has done it.

If he keeps wetting himself then is think he wasn't ready and try again in a few weeks/months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd probably put him back in nappies for the time being. It sounds like he really doesn't' want to use the toilet at daycare right now and if he's crying it might just make things worse if he's forced to wear pants and use the toilet. My boy is almost 3 and still in nappies - he has days of using the toilet at home or daycare, but there's no consistency and he doesn't seem all that interested or keen overall. I'm hoping it will all fall into place soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If he is 2.5 I would put him back in nappies and try again in a few months but by 3 if still no success I would seek advice as perhaps there's an underlying reason.

I've found the toilet training really quite easy with both boys, it's just come naturally for them both without much fuss. Ds2 is 2.5 and he's totally toilet training, has been for a few months now. The only issue I did have with ds1 was getting him to use the toilet for the first time, he just didn't like the toilet so I bought a musical cars potty which did the trick. I also used the same potty for ds2. The novelty of music when you had done your business seemed to work wonders. Worth a try!

Thanks
    Reviews
    After I posted the message, I went to pick him up from Childcare and surprise surprise, he looked so happy, jumped around then told me he wants to change his undies. Took off his pants and undies, jumped on the toilet by himself and had me change him another pair of undies.

Today, which is the second day of childcare, i sent him in his undies again and he went toilet twice when I was there and after I left, he did wee on the toilet just before naptime. I haven't got a call from the girls there so, it looks like everything is fine today.

The only difference is I left a bag of gummy bears for him as reward. So, he is really happy to go now.

Fingers cross, if I don't post anything from tomorrow on his 3rd day, that mean, we have a success...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to del79 For This Useful Post:

~BEXTER~  (10-11-2013)