+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ob fee questions

Hi there. I haven't really been able to get a straight answer to this question and obviously I have no clue as I haven't had to deal with this before. I have private health insurance, top hospital and medium extras. I have a no excess/co-payment plan too so no out of pocket expenses so what I am wondering is would I still need to pay an Obs management fee still ( I'm sure I will but just want to know) and also roughly how much do they cost? Please tell me how it works the websites don't tell me too much ( or the ones I have come across) so confused

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, you will still pay a management fee and for your on appointments. You will get some money back from Medicare but nothing from private health - they on cover in hospital expenses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm newly UTD (week 6) and from my own research the OB management fees vary between 2000 - 5000 depends on the OB (and their conscience)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with bupa. They paid hospital fees ( so oby delivery cost and accommodation etc). My oby was a no gap dr so what he charged was fully covered. (Some oby charge additional amounts for delivery. )
    Pmf was not covered for me nor were the visits prior. Medicare gave me some back for pmf and most back for visits
    Antenatal class was covered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It helps to think as your private health covering what happens when you're in hospital having your baby. The no-gap only means that you won't be out of pocket for your OB for the birth, assuming they only charge the Medicare scheduled fee.
    OB's can charge what they want. You will get Medicare refunds for any OB charges prior to the birth, but only up to a set amount. So generally you'll pay for each appointment and then the management fee after you get to 20 weeks. The management fee can vary from several hundred to several thousand depending on the OB you choose.
    Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ob fees vary greatly. My management fee is about $3000 (Medicare only pays about $450 back) plus normal appointments are $100 with small amount back from Medicare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    There may also be extra fees to pay after the birth if you need an epidural or spinal, or if you end up having a c-section. Your Ob and hospital will be able to give you some idea of what those costs might be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahhh I get it now. Haha thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just like to add that you should call your health fund to find out what is covered that will give you a better idea, and I know with one health funds you need to add the baby to your cover a few weeks before your due.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had bub 2 weeks ago and went private, I paid $5000 Ob management fee, every visit was $150 I got $72 back each time through Medicare as had reached safety net. After had bub, $600 pediatrician bill that was more than I expected. That was for a checkup after birth on same day and epidural wAs $975.