+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    GDM diet controlled we (Queensland public system) induce at 40+10 which is the recommended time for induction for post-dates anyway.

GDM on insulin - induction at 38 weeks.
    I was induced at 39 weeks for gdm on insulin with my 3rd pregnancy. I'm in QLD.
    I only put on 5kg the whole pregnancy. my only risk factor was my 2 previous pregnancies were both 4kg babies without GD.
    My 3rd bub was born 3.1kg.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SK2BC For This Useful Post:

Mummasaurus Rex  (01-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also had none of the risk factors when I got it for my first pregnancy- I was 23 and at 30 weeks pregnant when I found out I had it I was 58kg.

I didnt have insulin as I managed it with diet and didnt have to change my diet much as I was already eating well- only minor things like low gi bread and potatoes.

I was induced at 38 weeks- but only because I had cholestatsis. They said if I didnt have that they would have left me.

Dont worry about weight gain either has I finished up at 62kg so I only put on 13kg.

Funnily enough too I didnt get it with my second pregnancy- so it really is just one of those random things sometimes.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nicolier For This Useful Post:

Mummasaurus Rex  (01-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP I know how you are feeling I got diagnosed 2 weeks ago and it came as a bit of a shock as I don't fit much of the normal criteria.
    Are over 30 years of age
    - No
    · Have a family history of type 2 diabetes - Yes my mum recently diagnosed, and I have an uncle either side of the family with it.
    · Are overweight or obese - NO
    · Are from an Indigenous Australian or Torres Strait Islander background - NO
    · Are from a Vietnamese, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Polynesian or Melanesian background - No
    · Have previously had gestational diabetes - No
    · Have previously had Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - No
    · You have previously given birth to a large baby - No
    · Have a family history of gestational diabetes – unsure, but don't think so
    At this stage I just have to watch my diet and monitor my BGL 4 times a day, which is a pain. My diet wasn't too bad to start with but had to make a few changes mainly cut out all the juice and cordial that I used to drink & change a few things for lower GI options and mainly watch my serving sizes of carbs. So far my levels have been pretty good and only occasionally over. To start with it was a little bit of a hit and miss with learning what foods or too much of a serving size would throw the levels out. I'm now 32 weeks pregnant and have put on 10kg they said I shouldn't put on over 16kg, we will see still have 8 weeks to go, but with my DS1 I put on 20kg all up (didn't have GD with him and he was born average weight). I am finding it hard to fit in any exercise as I don't have the energy and it's hard trying to fit it in when I've been at work all day and then when I'm home I want to spend the time with DS1. There are a lot more appointments now fortnightly appointments with midwife and dietician, monthly appointments with doctor. So far baby is measuring pretty well on track, the doctor said if I can keep my levels down that baby shouldn’t grow too big. So I'm hoping I won't have to be induced as had a "fairly good" natural labour (well as "good" as a labour can be lol) with DS1. It is a little upsetting not being able to eat some of the yummier foods I used to, but I know it’s for the best for me & bub.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M2O84 For This Useful Post:

Mummasaurus Rex  (02-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you to everyone who has replied. Just an update.
    I'm doing midwife based care through a local hospital but see the OB ever so often. I tried to get an appointment with him but he was booked out until the 19th! However he got my GTT results and made an appointment for me this morning. Which is great because the diabetes educator can't see me for 2 weeks.
    He gave me a couple of pointers on eating and told me that I don't need to avoid fats so much as weight gain is not an issue with me. Just have go easy on the carbs and avoid processed sugars and go lightly with the fruit (which is my biggest issue.) He is quite confidant that because my fasting levels were perfect and only my 2 hour bloods were high (but not that high) I'll be able to control it by diet and if that is the case he will not induce me even after 40 weeks, instead just treat it like a normal pregnancy. I should go before 41 weeks based on my previous pregnancies. Well that's what I'm hoping anyway.
    Unfortunately because he isn't the diabetes educator I still don't have the blood glucose thingamy.
    I'm feeling a little bit better but it's still a hard pill to swallow. I've been avoiding people and screening my phone calls. It sounds terrible but I've avoided a particular family member's phone calls since I found out. She is also pregnant, due about a month after me, but she smokes! And she smoked during her last pregnancy and had her daughter at 35 weeks, the smoking may or may not have influenced that. I feel like she deserves the GD because she smokes and I do everything I can for the health of my baby. It's really bitter and irrational of me as GD is more of a hormonal thing but I can't help it at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's awesome news that he'll treat you as normal if your levels stay good. I think it's high fasting that is more likely to get you onto insulin than the odd high reading after food. Good news that yours was fine!! I was so stressed during the loooong wait to see the educator and it was such a relief to start testing and see what was really going on.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great you got in to see your on.

I had GD for both my pregnancies. My only risk factor was being over 30. I was shocked and it was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

That being said I was very easily controlled by diet.
    Once you see the diabetes educator you will get a good idea about how to manage it.

I was taught about carbohydrate exchanges, which helped me work out how much carb to have at each meal and snack. Once you get an idea about the exchanges, then you can work out your meals well, and keep your bsl's well managed.

Your educator should give you info on foods which fill you more as well. Eg, a punnet of strawberries is one carb exchange as is one apple. So you get more to eat with berries, if you are hungry!!

Just go easy on pastas and breads until you see your educator.

I would have been allowed 40 +5 if I went over due date.
    First I was induced due to scheduling.
    Second I went into labour on due date.
    I was treated as a normal pregnancy as I had good control.

Both babies were small/average. I had vaginal births with both.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm struggling with the eating. I've read a couple of things on the diabetes Australia website so I've been trying to eat well but I find I'm starving. Really craving dairy too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had gdm with my last pregnancy. I got conflicting advice from the endocrinologist, diabetes educator and dietician. The de and dietician wanted me on a diabetes diet whereas the endocrinologist insisted I cut out carbs altogether. I ended up on insulin anyway, honestly it's not that bad. I was hospitalised at 36 weeks due to pe and had a scheduled c section (I was having one regardless of the gdm) at 38+2. Dd was 9lb 2oz and 56 cm long. They monitored her bsl but she was fine and didn't need to go to the special care nursery.

Best of luck !

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

Mummasaurus Rex  (03-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could eat way more than most suggested diets I saw online. A lot of them are also calorie controlled as they assume you are overweight too. Great snacks included almonds and protein bars (just check the fine print as some not ok when preg), eggs are good (but I don't eat them). Burgen bread all worked really well. Rice was the worst for spiking my BSL (well that and vanilla slice )

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Mummasaurus Rex  (03-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I drank full fat milk as I found it stopped me craving it so much. Doesn't make a difference to the sugars.