I got my results back from my GTT and they were high, 9.3 when they should be under 7.8.
I am quite shocked as I have none of the risk factors associated with GD.
· Are over 30 years of age
· Have a family history of type 2 diabetes
· Are overweight or obese
· Are from an Indigenous Australian or Torres Strait Islander background
· Are from a Vietnamese, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Polynesian or Melanesian background
· Have previously had gestational diabetes
· Have previously had Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
· You have previously given birth to a large baby
· Have a family history of gestational diabetes
Nothing on the list applies to me so I really am surprised that I have it. I have an appointment with the diabetes nurse on Tuesday so I will find out more then but from what I was told I will getthe blood glucose meter and will monitor my levels whilst on a diet, if the diet fails to help I will then be placed on insulin and no longer be able to birth at the local hospital. I am not sure if this also means an automatic c-sect or induction at the hospital I am sent to instead. I won't be able to go naturally if I am sent to another hospital as I doubt I'll have time to get there judging by my previous pregnancies.
I am also concerned that I will not be allowed to go past 40 weeks and will have to be induced earlier even if the GD can be controlled by diet. I had two really easy births; my first at 40+2 which took 1hr 50min (bub was 6lbs 8oz) and my second at 40+5 which took 1hr 20mins (bub was 7lbs 1oz)
So my labours are quick and relatively easy (apart from a haemorrhage of 700mL) so I don't really want to mess with that. Will they let me go to 41 weeks?
Any ladies with GD experience want to share their stories with me please? I am feeling like **** since getting the phone call this afternoon.