+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Blocking on Instagram

Last night I learnt a very big social media lesson. Apparently blocking or unfollowing is a VERY big deal... I honestly didn't realise this.

I decided to block a friends account as she post really negative and judgemental stuff. I'm all about positive influences and I use Instagram as quite an 'inspiration driven' page. Most of the people I follow are really into clean eating and health and I use it as my little dose of happiness pretty much daily.

This 'friend' was posting things (which of course she's entitled to) like 'I hope you get your period in a shark tank...' Type stuff.

I'm quite oblivious to the codes of such actions as blocking and apparently I was sending her a clear eff off out of my life message. There really wasn't a lot of thought behind it from my end - I just didn't want negativity and passive aggressive pics flooding my feed.

I wouldn't have a clue if I've been blocked or unfollowed by someone - well unless I wanted to stalk them ... Which mainly only happens with the celebs I follow!! Ha

We are now feuding as she got very personal and attacked me quite harshly so I'm feel very good about my decision. I had made her feel horrible because I posted photos of a handful of friends coming over from work for my birthday. This was actually organised by another friend and I had no idea who was invited and this cranky friend got all offended. I didn't even invite family or anything and not once did I think I'd be upsetting people or rubbing them the wrong way.

But I'm just wondering is deleting/blocking/in following really such a big drama?? I'm not on Fakebook and after this I'm really thinking of deleting my Instagram too ... Or making a new one without people I know.
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 31-10-2013 at 18:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh wow. I had no idea you could block people on Instagram.

I always assumed the whole point was you followed and unfollowed at whim and that was part of the fluidity of the medium.

Some people take things too seriously.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know anything about instagram - was she posting shark tank stuff on your photos? If so, she deserves a clear eff off out of your life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Oh wow. I had no idea you could block people on Instagram.

I always assumed the whole point was you followed and unfollowed at whim and that was part of the fluidity of the medium.

Some people take things too seriously.
    Haha ... Yep you can ... But be wary :/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I don't know anything about instagram - was she posting shark tank stuff on your photos? If so, she deserves a clear eff off out of your life.
    No the shark tank photo was one she uploaded. You can comment on other people's photos and she wasn't doing any of that. But I just didn't like seeing her things and she also posts about the type of pictures others take having a crack at them.

I've really never understood people getting hot and bothered or judging and having a go at others passively online. If I have an issue with the content (like her page) I just remove myself from seeing it in the form of blocking or unfollowing. I just don't feel the need to belittle others.

She's not a very happy person generally and I think seeing the negativity often magnified it to me. I didn't want to feel dragged down by it.

Am I the only one who feels they've changed their view on a person after social networking exposure?? I kind of like living in my bubble!! Haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    She sounds self absorbed if she's so concerned about someone unfollowing her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like a little ray of sunshine

I'd probably block stuff like that as well.

Side note, if you do create a new account do you mind letting me know? I haven't posted much but I like seeing what others post

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app