+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    It's a slippery slope, I agree. And I have nothing but contempt for these people that act on their urges. It should be considered wrong, because it *is* wrong. And I do think some paedophiles are utterly without remorse and they are the lowest scum to walk the earth. I do wonder, though, how different some outcomes could be if people with these urges/attractions felt more able to access help and support. Will have to go digging but I remember a case in Europe somewhere where a man with 'minor attraction' begged to be castrated so that he wouldn't act on his desires.

I'm on the end of the scale that tends to see it as a sickness, and sick people need help. I don't see much point in comparing it with other sicknesses as being more or less worthy or ok - sickness is sickness. There's a difference between that and then making choices to act on that sickness. If it's acknowledged and made clear that there is help or support out there, perhaps it wouldn't be driven underground and we could better protect our children... I don't know for sure, but I would love this to be the case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    It's a slippery slope, I agree. And I have nothing but contempt for these people that act on their urges. It should be considered wrong, because it *is* wrong. And I do think some paedophiles are utterly without remorse and they are the lowest scum to walk the earth. I do wonder, though, how different some outcomes could be if people with these urges/attractions felt more able to access help and support. Will have to go digging but I remember a case in Europe somewhere where a man with 'minor attraction' begged to be castrated so that he wouldn't act on his desires.

I'm on the end of the scale that tends to see it as a sickness, and sick people need help. I don't see much point in comparing it with other sicknesses as being more or less worthy or ok - sickness is sickness. There's a difference between that and then making choices to act on that sickness. If it's acknowledged and made clear that there is help or support out there, perhaps it wouldn't be driven underground and we could better protect our children... I don't know for sure, but I would love this to be the case.
    Maybe there is help out there, would psychologists not take these people on?

I just don't see how making it an orientation will do anyone any good.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannyV View Post
    Maybe there is help out there, would psychologists not take these people on?

I just don't see how making it an orientation will do anyone any good.
    Yeah, I don't know. I just think that regardless of our feelings towards these people, that it *is* an orientation for them, whether we choose to use the word or not. I mean, if you look at the definition, 'a person's basic attitude, beliefs, or feelings in relation to a particular subject or issue', then it definitely is one. I don't think it's meant in the way of us bringing up our kids to say 'when you grow up you might be heterosexual, or bisexual, or homosexual, or a paedophile' and make it acceptable. I will say that I haven't been affected in my life at all by this kind of abuse, and I do understand that people who have been would have a very strong reaction against the idea of this behaviour being regarded as normal or regular. And I don't think it is. I just think we as a society have to come up with a way to better protect our children.

I don't know how much help is available, but I do think that people that feel deep shame and disgust at themselves might struggle to put themselves out there and ask for help. Also, I'm not sure if a psychologist advertising that they can help people with paedophilic urges would be subject to the same kind of attacks as, say, abortion clinics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They're sickness impacts innocent lives, that in my opinion makes it so wrong. I dont care if it is a s3xual orientation, mental illness etc. I felt the article was almost trying to justify the behaviour.

However just typing this out and thinking about the situation I did think of one positive, in 50years time when it's recognised and main****** at least it being in the open we can protect our babies from these predictors and these monsters can get the help they need.

What scares me now due to its (rightfully) illegal status it's a secret underworld and you don't know who is who in the zoo, so who can you really trust. I want to protect my babies so being open about it I see as a positive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

ChannyV  (01-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As for the guy that put his hand up to be castrated so he wouldn't act upon his urges. To that I say lets hope they all put their hands up for the same "treatment", problem solved!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChannyV For This Useful Post:

harvs  (01-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't give a crappola if I get flamed for this but anyone and I mean ANYONE that looks at a child and feels a sexual urge or is turned on by a child should not be a part of our existence! A disgusting human being like that does not deserve to even live! I don't give a s&it how sick in the head he is!! How that can be compared to homosexuality or a heterosexual person is beyond me. That is a sexual preference, peodophilia is not. Peodophilia is just plain sick! Way to go to give them an escape. That article sickened me to my core.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

ChannyV  (01-11-2013),ExcitedMummyxxx  (02-11-2013),HLE  (01-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^agree. Why would you get blasted?

Consenting adults can choose to engage in activities with other consenting adults, regardless if its with the same or different gender, a one night stand, married, affair etc. When there is an innocent involved then that is when its wrong.
    Everyone has different morals and ethics so some still maybe of the extreme to see s3x out of marriage wrong ( personally as stated above if you're a consenting adult I don't care what you do with another consenting adult) but innocents are not independent and capable of making decisions for themselves. Hopefully it will never be even tolerated to engage in activities with the innocent

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    I don't give a crappola if I get flamed for this but anyone and I mean ANYONE that looks at a child and feels a sexual urge or is turned on by a child should not be a part of our existence! A disgusting human being like that does not deserve to even live! I don't give a s&it how sick in the head he is!! How that can be compared to homosexuality or a heterosexual person is beyond me. That is a sexual preference, peodophilia is not. Peodophilia is just plain sick! Way to go to give them an escape. That article sickened me to my core.
    Okay, maybe you don't think that people like the following exist, but just humour me for a moment.

Imagine you have a 15 year old son, a bit of a pain at times as all teenagers can be, but otherwise a great kid. He comes to you and says that he has to tell you something important, and he doesn't know what to do about it - he's visibly upset. He then tells you that he thinks he might be attracted to children... that he noticed when he was younger that his crushes were always quite young, but then he was a kid too and it didn't seem to matter. Now that he's getting older, he still prefers young girls (say, around 10). He's disgusted with himself and doesn't know what to do. What would you tell him?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

harvs  (01-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (01-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannyV View Post
    As for the guy that put his hand up to be castrated so he wouldn't act upon his urges. To that I say lets hope they all put their hands up for the same "treatment", problem solved!
    I'm fairly certain I've read that it doesn't actually work. It can be effective on people who WANT to stop, but it's more used as a tool than a standalone solution... it can help suppress sexual urges, but doesn't stop them.

There's also plenty of ways for people to molest children without using their penis to do so.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (01-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Okay, maybe you don't think that people like the following exist, but just humour me for a moment.

Imagine you have a 15 year old son, a bit of a pain at times as all teenagers can be, but otherwise a great kid. He comes to you and says that he has to tell you something important, and he doesn't know what to do about it - he's visibly upset. He then tells you that he thinks he might be attracted to children... that he noticed when he was younger that his crushes were always quite young, but then he was a kid too and it didn't seem to matter. Now that he's getting older, he still prefers young girls (say, around 10). He's disgusted with himself and doesn't know what to do. What would you tell him?
    I personally think it needs to be monitored as 15 is still also a child, one needs to see if as he gets older so does the age. Ie when he's 18 is it now 13 or if it stays young.
    In high school I knew of year 12's dating year 8's so same age gap, they are now in there 30's and no longer date 13 year olds.